E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Health care to cost ANOTHER $1 TRILLION!!!!!

10-29-2009, 06:33 AM   #67
MrRoboto
Colonel

Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirate87 View Post
The truth:

1. It is demonstrably untrue that the US invaded Iraq for oil. The proof is that we have in fact, taken no oil.
Not for long if big oil gets their way.

http://in.reuters.com/article/oilRpt...49238420091021

2. Iraq was in violation of the cease fire agreement that ended the first Gulf War.

The ceasefire was broken as quick as it was implemented. Interesting how it was UN imposed but the US invaded Iraq on its own.

3. Iraq continued to support international terrorists.
So does Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Israel, etc. Why no focus there?

4. Iraq had long standing ties with al Qaeda affiliated organizations.
See above

5. Iraq had a history of developing and using chemical weapons, developing biological weapons, and attempting to develop nuclear weapons.

That all by itself, even with none of the suspected stores of chemical and biological weapons that every major intelligence agency in the world believed Iraq maintained, was sufficient justification for the invasion. Heck, just the first one is enough.

Again their are other countries in the same boat but no focus by Bush. Why?

Encyclopedia Britannica calls D-Day the invasion of Normandy, that is good enough for me.
Like I said 'invasion of France' didnt sound right without some additional context.

I have come to realize that some of you blindly trust your govt without question.
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
      10-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #68
nostrum09
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Like I said 'invasion of France' didnt sound right without some additional context.

I have come to realize that some of you blindly trust your govt without question.
I find your cherry-picking of shpirate87's resources re: WMD to be interesting. You talk about Newsmax and its alleged propaganda, and completely ignore an article by the NY Times, quite possibly the most left-leaning news source there is. You similarly ignore the BBC resources, which as an outside resource, should be viewed as fairly neutral (I'm not sure what, if any, political leanings the BBC has).

You also cite the fact that Iraq had no enriched uranium, a prerequisite for constructing a nuclear weapon. Do not forget, however, that Iraq's uranium still could have been used in the construction of a dirty bomb, which would also classify as a WMD.

I'd also like to know what international terrorist organization(s) Israel supports.

And finally, to bring back the topic of the thread, I would argue that liberals trust their government far more than conservatives do. Look at how many existing social programs are championed by liberals, not to mention of course the newest and biggest "trust the government program" there is: health care.
nostrum09 is offline   United_States
      10-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #69
shpirate87
Captain

Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Not for long if big oil gets their way.
Did you even read the article you linked to or are you really trying to buttress your argument that we invaded Iraq for oil with an article about people complaining that other nations have gotten the oil contracts?

Quote:
The ceasefire was broken as quick as it was implemented. Interesting how it was UN imposed but the US invaded Iraq on its own.
Are you complaining now that we did not invade sooner? I would have thought someone like you would have appreciated the time we allowed for the 'international community' to convince Iraq to comply.

Quote:
Israel??

Every situation is different and requires a different response. Pakistan and Saudi Arabia had governments that we could work with, Iraq did not.

Quote:
Again their are other countries in the same boat but no focus by Bush. Why?
So what you are basically saying is that you cannot address one problem unless you address all problems and that simply is not how the world or any individual's life works. You deal with problems in the order and to the level you can.
      10-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #70
lkw15
Major

Drives: 2011 e90 328i

Garage List
1976 BMW 2002  [5.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i Pre ...  [5.00]
A little OT, but where's Nixon these days? Usually he's all over these...
lkw15 is offline   United_States
      10-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #71
nostrum09
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
A little OT, but where's Nixon these days? Usually he's all over these...
I believe that he was banned again, along with a couple of other members. I'm not aware of the details I'm afraid, however.
nostrum09 is offline   United_States
      10-29-2009, 11:45 PM   #72
lib
Major

Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
3. Iraq continued to support international terrorists.
Yeah! I can't even begin to count the number of stories I've heard about Israelis hijacking airplanes, strapping suicide vests to themselves and beheading reporters.

Er... wait a minute...