E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Bored to Tears in Career, PLEASE HELP!!!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MoreCowbell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335 Jet Black-Saddle
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Bored to Tears in Career, PLEASE HELP!!!!

So a brief history...

I graduated from College (Maryland) in 1998 and almost immediately became a market maker(equities) out of school. I did that until 2003, when profitability for a market maker became almost impossible. During the end of that time, I wrote a small(tiny) program that calculated stock spreads and figured that maybe Tech/Software was the direction to go. So...for the last years I have been working as a Business Analyst/Project Manager doing software roll-outs for large I-banks(all if which you have heard of). I am an independent, incorporated consultant, not an employee of the banks I have done projects at.

Problem now is...Money has been great...but I am BORED OUT OF MY SKULL. This work is so "dry and boring" that sometimes I feel like it doesn't justify the paycheck.

What do I do? What CAN I do? I've considered going into business for myself, but I don't have a quality idea. I'd love to perhaps buy into something, something that I have a passion for(a car dealership maybe)???

I don't know. It just sucks that I sit and pour over software layouts and financial records all day, when in fact, I somebody with a very "fast paced" personality and would probably be EXTREMELY customer service oriented in the right place.

I don’t even need something full time. I could easily continue what I am doing but be an investor/non-operating partner in something. I just to b involved in something I have a passion for (I have a passion for “Money” but that’s not what I am referring to).

Any ideas? Any advice?

Thanks in advance. Thanks for letting me vent.
__________________
1997 Z3 3.0: Retired 2006 E90 330i: Retired 2007 E92 335: Retired
2009 E70 4.8: Totaled by Drunk Bitch
2011 E70 3.5D: Current
Space Gray w Black Nevada - Loaded!!!
MoreCowbell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
 
BMW F22's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay

Posts: 8,306
iTrader: (8)

WHat do you like to do as hobbies???
Perhaps becoming a car salesman would be fun. You could sell BMW. hehehe
BMW F22 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MoreCowbell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335 Jet Black-Saddle
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90
WHat do you like to do as hobbies???
Perhaps becoming a car salesman would be fun. You could sell BMW. hehehe
I'd love to buy into a car dealership.

I am also into sports and Tech Gadgets.
__________________
1997 Z3 3.0: Retired 2006 E90 330i: Retired 2007 E92 335: Retired
2009 E70 4.8: Totaled by Drunk Bitch
2011 E70 3.5D: Current
Space Gray w Black Nevada - Loaded!!!
MoreCowbell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Gripster
Captain
 
Gripster's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Diego

Posts: 918
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluck75
I just to b involved in something I have a passion for
Only you can answer this my friend. Why not exploit the fact that your work pays well and is not too demanding and pour your energy into your personal life? Get married or travel the world or have kids and "be there" for them. Mod your car, do some charity work, take an evening class.

I switched fields a couple years ago for the same reason (I was bored) only to realize that I really DID like what was doing. Only by stepping away did I come to the conclusion that I hated who I was working with and not what I was working on. After 6 months I got a new job in my original field and have enjoyed it (mostly) ever since.

Despite what they tell you, work isn't supposed to be fun - that's why you get paid. They have to bribe you with cash just to show up. If you do something you enjoy, then great. But as long as you can tolerate it and have peace of mind, then invest your heart and soul elsewhere.
__________________
2006 330i - ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/i-Drive/Steptronic Sold
Gripster is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MoreCowbell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335 Jet Black-Saddle
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripster
Only you can answer this my friend. Why not exploit the fact that your work pays well and is not too demanding and pour your energy into your personal life? Get married or travel the world or have kids and "be there" for them. Mod your car, do some charity work, take an evening class.

I switched fields a couple years ago for the same reason (I was bored) only to realize that I really DID like what was doing. Only by stepping away did I come to the conclusion that I hated who I was working with and not what I was working on. After 6 months I got a new job in my original field and have enjoyed it (mostly) ever since.

Despite what they tell you, work isn't supposed to be fun - that's why you get paid. They have to bribe you with cash just to show up. If you do something you enjoy, then great. But as long as you can tolerate it and have peace of mind, then invest your heart and soul elsewhere.
Gripster, I think that is a good advice indeed, but be aware of this. My life is great, busy and very fufilling outside of work. I am recently married and our social life is extremely busy. Outside of work, I consider myself an extremely lucky individual and I am very happy.

Agreed that devoting my time to kids would help me feel that fufillment I am looking for, but kids for us is still 3+ years away. There will always be hours spent away from from wife/kids in the future. Is it too much to ask that I enjoy that time?
__________________
1997 Z3 3.0: Retired 2006 E90 330i: Retired 2007 E92 335: Retired
2009 E70 4.8: Totaled by Drunk Bitch
2011 E70 3.5D: Current
Space Gray w Black Nevada - Loaded!!!
MoreCowbell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
 
BMW F22's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay

Posts: 8,306
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluck75
I'd love to buy into a car dealership.

I am also into sports and Tech Gadgets.

If you have the money to buy into a dealership then by all means go for it.

Have you thought about opening a sports shop or a gadget shop?? It could be something like SharperImage (tech stuff) or just a general sports shop. Maybe you could also look into a sports bar. hehehe
BMW F22 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MoreCowbell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335 Jet Black-Saddle
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Sports bar could be trouble...Last thing I need is to be around, beer, junk-food and things to bet on all day... :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:

A car dealership is one I am really thinking about. Problem there is I don't enough about the busines(easily solved by brining on somebody with GM experience in a role with equity).

The other problem is that th cheap dealerships are the GM dealerships...some of which you can buy for $1 and some of which are even going right out of business because they are getting killed. The more succesfull lines...Toyoya(BMW!!!) are very expensive and often need to paired with several branches to be succesfull.
__________________
1997 Z3 3.0: Retired 2006 E90 330i: Retired 2007 E92 335: Retired
2009 E70 4.8: Totaled by Drunk Bitch
2011 E70 3.5D: Current
Space Gray w Black Nevada - Loaded!!!
MoreCowbell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #8
obLu
Major
 
obLu's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kirkland, WA, USA

Posts: 1,161
iTrader: (1)

Retire early?
obLu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #9
IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV.

Posts: 244
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
I am putting together a business plan for a high-end automotive shop here in Vegas. I currently own an advertising company but am bored as well. I previously had a shop in Ohio but the market for high end accessories wasn't there. Much different story in Las Vegas. I already have great custom installers ready to work. I am starting a business plan. I know it is not in New York but would give you a great opportunity to travel abroad and to a fun destination. Let me know if this sounds interesting to you.
IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MoreCowbell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335 Jet Black-Saddle
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu
Retire early?
I do well. Not that well.

Even if I did have the cash, what would I do all day?
__________________
1997 Z3 3.0: Retired 2006 E90 330i: Retired 2007 E92 335: Retired
2009 E70 4.8: Totaled by Drunk Bitch
2011 E70 3.5D: Current
Space Gray w Black Nevada - Loaded!!!
MoreCowbell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
Gripster
Captain
 
Gripster's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Diego

Posts: 918
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Be careful with the dealership idea. It can be a dirty business, because it's very competitive with slim margins and therefore can't always be ethical.

It depends how you feel about marking up loans, encouraging people to borrow more than they can afford and gouging people when you can to pay sales commissions and reach targets. Me? I'd rather sleep at night.

Of course, that's a dark view of the whole business and it doesn't have to be that way, but why risk your peace of mind?
__________________
2006 330i - ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/i-Drive/Steptronic Sold
Gripster is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #12
BMW F22
Major General
 
BMW F22's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay

Posts: 8,306
iTrader: (8)

I've thought about buying into a dealership before as well but it costs way too much. I wanted to buy into a Toyota dealer but heard that it would cost about $20mil or so. I wonder how long it would take just to get that back, let alone making a profit.

Gripster- that's what scared me when I was a salesman. THe rich were always the cheap ones while it's the people that had little money that were being ripped off. It's kinda sad but I guess that's how it is.
BMW F22 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #13
joerockets
Enlisted Member
 
joerockets's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 335 coupe
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: OC

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

do some charity work
joerockets is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #14
Ninjaneer
Shadow Warrior
 
Ninjaneer's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,097
iTrader: (0)

Contribute to an open-source software project that you're passionate about... something I'd like to do one day once I build my skills more
__________________
335i E90 / Arctic / Gray / Burl Walnut / Steptronic / ZPP / ZSP / Paddles / CA / Nav / PDC / OEM Spoiler
Mods:
PIAA Angel Eyes, Rear Fog Switch, Escort X50 Blue hardwire, 30% Charcoal Llumar
Installing soon: Rear Power Outlets (Happy Robot mod!)
Ninjaneer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #15
Bimmerista
Major General
 
Bimmerista's Avatar
 
Drives: superstock
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posts: 5,698
iTrader: (0)

I'll give you the advice my father always gave me. Go into real estate, Start slowly, build up the portfolio as experience grows and eventually it works on its own. Can be done part time, needs some cash for the downpayments, but I understand that you have (or could save up). You can buy appartment buildings, convert into coops, you can buy fixer uppers and the fix them up (start with reasonably well kept properties first where you can do simple kitchen and bath renos) etc.
__________________
__________________________
2012 335i, saphire black, coral red leather interior, sport line, sport suspension, 6mt, premium package
2011 Lincoln MKX, black on black, premium package - that's right! Techno-Groovy baby
Bimmerista is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #16
kingbriani
Private First Class
 
kingbriani's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Honda S2000
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NC

Posts: 122
iTrader: (0)

whatever you decide to do, just remember that it could be worse -- you could have a boring job that doesnt pay well.
__________________
__________________________________________________
Future ED Car:
E92 335i Montego Blue w/ Black leatherette and Grey Poplar
Sport Package, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sunshade, Heated Seats, 6 mt
BBS RG-Rs
kingbriani is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #17
Socom
Major General
 
Drives: 2010 335D
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,217
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluck75
So a brief history...

I graduated from College (Maryland) in 1998 and almost immediately became a market maker(equities) out of school. I did that until 2003, when profitability for a market maker became almost impossible. During the end of that time, I wrote a small(tiny) program that calculated stock spreads and figured that maybe Tech/Software was the direction to go. So...for the last years I have been working as a Business Analyst/Project Manager doing software roll-outs for large I-banks(all if which you have heard of). I am an independent, incorporated consultant, not an employee of the banks I have done projects at.

Problem now is...Money has been great...but I am BORED OUT OF MY SKULL. This work is so "dry and boring" that sometimes I feel like it doesn't justify the paycheck.

What do I do? What CAN I do? I've considered going into business for myself, but I don't have a quality idea. I'd love to perhaps buy into something, something that I have a passion for(a car dealership maybe)???

I don't know. It just sucks that I sit and pour over software layouts and financial records all day, when in fact, I somebody with a very "fast paced" personality and would probably be EXTREMELY customer service oriented in the right place.

I don’t even need something full time. I could easily continue what I am doing but be an investor/non-operating partner in something. I just to b involved in something I have a passion for (I have a passion for “Money” but that’s not what I am referring to).

Any ideas? Any advice?

Thanks in advance. Thanks for letting me vent.
Play poker
Socom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #18
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MoreCowbell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335 Jet Black-Saddle
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbriani
whatever you decide to do, just remember that it could be worse -- you could have a boring job that doesnt pay well.
An EXCELLENT point!!!
__________________
1997 Z3 3.0: Retired 2006 E90 330i: Retired 2007 E92 335: Retired
2009 E70 4.8: Totaled by Drunk Bitch
2011 E70 3.5D: Current
Space Gray w Black Nevada - Loaded!!!
MoreCowbell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2007, 07:47 PM   #19
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MoreCowbell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335 Jet Black-Saddle
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
I am putting together a business plan for a high-end automotive shop here in Vegas. I currently own an advertising company but am bored as well. I previously had a shop in Ohio but the market for high end accessories wasn't there. Much different story in Las Vegas. I already have great custom installers ready to work. I am starting a business plan. I know it is not in New York but would give you a great opportunity to travel abroad and to a fun destination. Let me know if this sounds interesting to you.
I'd love to read the plan!!!
__________________
1997 Z3 3.0: Retired 2006 E90 330i: Retired 2007 E92 335: Retired
2009 E70 4.8: Totaled by Drunk Bitch
2011 E70 3.5D: Current
Space Gray w Black Nevada - Loaded!!!
MoreCowbell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #20
IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV.

Posts: 244
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
Gluck give me another week or two and I will be more than happy to share!
IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #21
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MoreCowbell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335 Jet Black-Saddle
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
Gluck give me another week or two and I will be more than happy to share!
Looking forward to it.

__________________
1997 Z3 3.0: Retired 2006 E90 330i: Retired 2007 E92 335: Retired
2009 E70 4.8: Totaled by Drunk Bitch
2011 E70 3.5D: Current
Space Gray w Black Nevada - Loaded!!!
MoreCowbell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST