E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > This is our congress.

11-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
fdsasdasdf
Captain

Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

This is our congress.

Yep, this is apparently what our government has turned into. Imagine if our founding fathers were this childish during the Declaration of Independence or the writing of the Constitution.
      11-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
EDK99
Captain

Drives: 07 E85 M

The last few seconds sums it up.

"Lets let the discussion go forward. It is not hurting anything and there is no advantage being achieved by making all this fuss."

Basically if you oppose government run health care shut the hell up so we can pass this crap.
      11-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
RambleJ
Colonel

Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK_335i View Post
Basically if you oppose government run health care shut the hell up so we can pass this crap.
Bingo! Thats exactly what I see happening there.
RambleJ is offline   No_Country
      11-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
quagmire
I am Gundam

Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD

Quote:
The last few seconds sums it up.

"Lets let the discussion go forward. It is not hurting anything and there is no advantage being achieved by making all this fuss."

So you approve of not letting the side that supports it get a word in edge wise? They can oppose it all they want. But, they did not have the floor. Let the supporters speak and then object to what they said. Not what they can't say. All the supporters could say was, " The" before the opposition started going, " I object!"

It's not an issue of shutting up the opposition's opinion. It is an issue of them being completely immature about it. It sounded like 5 year olds going, " lalalalalala I can't hear you!" when you're trying to talk to them, but they don't want to hear it. These are grown men and women. Try to be civil. Let the other side finish and then voice your opinion.
      11-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
lib
Major

Drives: <This space for rent>

It's not just us... Legislative bodies around the world are all insane.

I still swear the British House of Commons has a 2 drink minimum:

11-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
fdsasdasdf
Captain

Quote:

How are you getting that interpretation out of this? That's not what they're saying. They're saying let both parties speak. One side is being childish and sounds like a stubborn mule during the time that the other side is trying to speak their views. If they have a legitimate objection, then they should state it. But it's obvious in this clip that they are just simply trying to drown out the other party entirely.
      11-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
shpirate87
Captain

Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
How are you getting that interpretation out of this? That's not what they're saying. They're saying let both parties speak. One side is being childish and sounds like a stubborn mule during the time that the other side is trying to speak their views. If they have a legitimate objection, then they should state it. But it's obvious in this clip that they are just simply trying to drown out the other party entirely.
I am afraid that you do not understand the rules of the House. Each of the Democrats in the video is asking for unanimous consent, every time such a request is made, the Republican objects. Under the rules there is no requirement to state the objection but simply to object. If the Democrat did not ask for such unanimous consent, the Republicans could not object. The Democrats were capable of making their statements without interruption if they were willing to do so without being able to go back and edit what they said on the floor in the Congressional Record.
      11-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
fdsasdasdf
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan0102 View Post
filibusters have been going on for how long now?
Dummy, they pretty much ended in 1917. Great little thing called cloture.
      11-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'

Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Dummy, they pretty much ended in 1917. Great little thing called cloture.
Senate filibusters still exist, and they happen ALL THE TIME! Where have you been? Senate rules were adopted in 1917 that added the Cloture option at 2/3rds majority, which was later revised to 3/5ths. Filibusters haven't existed in the House since 1846 (I believe...)

Quote:
Between 1999 and 2007, the number of Senate filibusters varied between 20 and 37 per session, a bipartisan effort.
Source: http://100days.blogs.nytimes.com/200...flicted-wound/

Cloture requires 60 votes in the Senate, so if you only get 59 to end debate (cloture), then the filibuster continues. That is why the Democrats were so happy to theoretically get their 60 votes in the Senate (assuming no dissenters and that the two Indy's would caucus with the Dems.)

Oh, and here is the procedure for the House's Unanimous Consent:
Quote:
Unanimous Consent
For some noncontroversial matters, the Speaker will recognize a Member to ask for
unanimous consent that a measure be passed. If any Member objects to the request, the measure will fail to pass. In this circumstance, no formal debate can take place, but Members may sometimes reserve the right to object in order to clarify the content or purposes of a measure. Unanimous consent requests can also be made to provide for consideration of a measure, although this is rare. The request may designate a procedure under which debate may take place and amendments may be offered. Typically, the Speaker will not recognize a Member to make a unanimous consent request unless it has been cleared by both the majority and minority.
I noted a particular sentence of interest. So by invoking the rules, he is somehow being childish? It clearly states that any member objecting means it fails. Once it fails, there is absolutely no reason to keep reading, or to continue asking for the Unanimous Consent for that particular item.

Source: http://www.rules.house.gov/Archives/RS20067.pdf
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
scollins is offline   No_Country
      11-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 135i

Send a message via AIM to InsaneSkippy Send a message via MSN to InsaneSkippy
Once again the crazy right is acting like a bunch of kids who got bullied in school.

They've shown that they deserve no respect and are not willing to have a logical debate. They're acting like 12 year olds.