E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > white smoke while idiling



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
hipertech
Major
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Socal

Posts: 1,205
iTrader: (15)

white smoke while idiling

hey guys, i recently noticed there white smoke coming out from my exhaust while idiling(not sure if it does the same thing while driving). I have fully catless dp, exhaust, but i dont remember i have seem the white smoke when i went fully catless awhile ago.

I used BT to scan the car but there is no code founded, any idea ?
hipertech is online now   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
 
ToadHollow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Asti, Italy & Austin, Texas

Posts: 5,060
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.00]
Send a message via MSN to ToadHollow
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertech View Post
hey guys, i recently noticed there white smoke coming out from my exhaust while idiling(not sure if it does the same thing while driving). I have fully catless dp, exhaust, but i dont remember i have seem the white smoke when i went fully catless awhile ago.

I used BT to scan the car but there is no code founded, any idea ?
No codes at all? How is the car running? Good?

bump for someone else to chime in ......
__________________



ToadHollow is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      11-13-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
Alex@AKMotorwerk
 
Alex@AKMotorwerk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

Posts: 9,339
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to Alex@AKMotorwerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertech View Post
hey guys, i recently noticed there white smoke coming out from my exhaust while idiling(not sure if it does the same thing while driving). I have fully catless dp, exhaust, but i dont remember i have seem the white smoke when i went fully catless awhile ago.

I used BT to scan the car but there is no code founded, any idea ?
Is your Antifreeze low? White smoke is usually cause by antifreeze getting into the engine
Alex@AKMotorwerk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
hipertech
Major
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Socal

Posts: 1,205
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
No codes at all? How is the car running? Good?

bump for someone else to chime in ......
car is running great. It drives normal and still pulls nicely.
wth is white smoke coming from ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj323ci View Post
Is your Antifreeze low? White smoke is usually cause by antifreeze getting into the engine
i will run the test on BT again to find out.
hipertech is online now   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Bagelfast's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY

Posts: 1,532
iTrader: (0)

Why not datalogg your car and see how its running?
Bagelfast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #6
hipertech
Major
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Socal

Posts: 1,205
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LUMI335 View Post
Why not datalogg your car and see how its running?
what parameter should i need to look for?

plus, no idea how to datalog via BT...

i am supposed to get codes if there is white smoke rite ?!
hipertech is online now   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Bagelfast's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY

Posts: 1,532
iTrader: (0)

Car might not throw codes but you might be able to tell something more via Datalogging.

If you are tuned, contact your tuner to find out what parameters to datalogg to find some more info.

Juss my guess, next step would be to bring her into the shop.
Bagelfast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 12:34 AM   #8
gian335
Major
 
gian335's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: uknown

Posts: 1,031
iTrader: (1)

what tune do u have? and how many miles on the car?......im fully catless and at cold start and sometimes normal idle it seems to be somewhat white.

Also im sure u know how ur car smells by now with going catless.....does it smell any different now that uve noticed this white smoke?
gian335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
Alex@AKMotorwerk
 
Alex@AKMotorwerk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

Posts: 9,339
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to Alex@AKMotorwerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertech View Post
what parameter should i need to look for?

plus, no idea how to datalog via BT...

i am supposed to get codes if there is white smoke rite ?!
BT tool won't help much in this situation if your car isn't throwing any codes... Might have to do some good old fashioned trouble shooting and open up the hood and actually look at the reservoir and see if the antifreeze is low
Alex@AKMotorwerk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
hipertech
Major
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Socal

Posts: 1,205
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj323ci View Post
BT tool won't help much in this situation if your car isn't throwing any codes... Might have to do some good old fashioned trouble shooting and open up the hood and actually look at the reservoir and see if the antifreeze is low
where is reservoir ? ill go look it up

Last edited by hipertech; 11-15-2009 at 06:41 AM.
hipertech is online now   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 12:51 AM   #11
hipertech
Major
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Socal

Posts: 1,205
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gian335 View Post
what tune do u have? and how many miles on the car?......im fully catless and at cold start and sometimes normal idle it seems to be somewhat white.

Also im sure u know how ur car smells by now with going catless.....does it smell any different now that uve noticed this white smoke?
currently 21000-miles on the odometer. i remembered to see the white smoke was when i just put my new exhaust 1.5 month ago. but never seem it after the exhaust break-in period until now.

and for the smell, i can't tell any diff...
hipertech is online now   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 12:57 AM   #12
gian335
Major
 
gian335's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: uknown

Posts: 1,031
iTrader: (1)

well usually when ur burning oil or antifreeze im sure the fumes will smell different. Im used 2 the smell already, so I would pretty much tell if something else was burning. It will defenately smell different if ur burning oil and there would be a good amount of white smoke coming out of the pipes.

How much smoke are we talking about here? a lot or just a little? The best way is to take a video 4 us 2 see.
gian335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
Dr_Dirt
Major
 
Dr_Dirt's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i 6AT
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DFW

Posts: 1,475
iTrader: (1)

Possibly your turbo bearings have some play in them, allowing oil and coolant into your exhaust.
When you accellerate hard you get more white smoke
__________________
Verizon LTE speed
Dr_Dirt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #14
hipertech
Major
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Socal

Posts: 1,205
iTrader: (15)

the white smoke occurs at random not all the time. sometime i dont see any white smoke coming out.

any possibility the car is running to lean ?
hipertech is online now   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2009, 06:38 AM   #15
R1000K3
Major
 
R1000K3's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i MT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA

Posts: 1,313
iTrader: (0)

White smoke is not an indication on running lean. Couldn't it just be normal water condensation during warm up and in cold weather?
R1000K3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #16
detrick
Private First Class
 
detrick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 550xi M-Sport/Dinan S2
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dealer Parking Lot

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

I agree with the previous poster. White smoke on cold starts is typical because of water condensation in the fuel system. Typically, as you drive, the cats heat up and evaporate the water and the white spoke goes away after driving for 10 minutes.

Since you're catless, I would think that it would take much longer wait to get the exhaust hot enough to create evaporation, no?

If you get white smoke after driving for an hour, you probably are burning anti-freeze and will need to take it to the shop for repairs.

Check underneath the oil cap...if you see a light capuchino-like or mustard colored buildup, that means that the anti-freeze is mixing with your oil.
detrick is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #17
munters
Captain
 
munters's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335XI AT Dakota Black M
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 675
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrick View Post
I agree with the previous poster. White smoke on cold starts is typical because of water condensation in the fuel system. Typically, as you drive, the cats heat up and evaporate the water and the white spoke goes away after driving for 10 minutes.

Since you're catless, I would think that it would take much longer wait to get the exhaust hot enough to create evaporation, no?

If you get white smoke after driving for an hour, you probably are burning anti-freeze and will need to take it to the shop for repairs.

Check underneath the oil cap...if you see a light capuchino-like or mustard colored buildup, that means that the anti-freeze is mixing with your oil.
+1
__________________
59 Corvette, 72 240Z, 73 Espada, ZXR
munters is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
chris b.
Brigadier General
 
chris b.'s Avatar
 
Drives: zmp e90
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: White Plains NY

Posts: 3,220
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 335i  [0.00]
do you smell fuel?injector leaking? check your plugs? a lot of n54's that come into the shop with injector failures have this condition.
__________________

Brentuning Cobb AP pro tune
2010 335i zmp fbo
465whp 513tq 50% E85
chris b. is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #19
itsbrokeagain
 
itsbrokeagain's Avatar
 
Drives: E28 535, 1996 Dodge Ram Diesel
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Valley Stream, NY

Posts: 15,737
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to itsbrokeagain
sounds like its just water vapor being evaporated in the exhaust. It is cold outside, and this will increase the effect of it. I doubt you have a blown headgasket, as it would linger in the air if it was coolant, oil or fuel.
__________________
AUTOCouture Motoring: Handling reflector installs to turbo upgrades and superchargers, and everything in between
15-01 Pollitt Drive, Fairlawn NJ 201-666-3500

<-Official Vehicle Transport for AUTOCouture
itsbrokeagain is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #20
hipertech
Major
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Socal

Posts: 1,205
iTrader: (15)

i will bring the car in tomorrow to get it check up.

thanks for all the help
hipertech is online now   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #21
Sniz
Lieutenant General
 
Sniz's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

Posts: 10,561
iTrader: (1)

Sounds like regular water vapor to me. Based on the OP's responses if he had coolant getting into the engine he woulde be freaked out over the amount of smoke......itcould look like a james bond smokescreen if it was bad enough.

My vote is for normal watervapor
__________________
Sniz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #22
ianthegreat
Colonel
 
ianthegreat's Avatar
 
Drives: n54
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh/Houston

Posts: 2,314
iTrader: (1)

You would smell antifreeze also. Nice and sweet.
ianthegreat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST