E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Help: Is Steering Wheel Emblem Replaceable Or Covered Under Warranty?

11-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Vietballerz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Help: Is Steering Wheel Emblem Replaceable Or Covered Under Warranty?

My steering wheel emblem is fading/coroding and it bugs the hell out of me. Been searching for threads on this issue, and I found a few conflicting answers:

1) Some say that it is covered under warranty and the dealer would replace the airbag, which is like $800, to swap out the $5 emblem. I'm in SoCal, so if anyone knows a local dealer that would do that let me know. The one that is close to my house wouldn't do it.

2) On the other hand, other some claim that it is replaceable and can be pry off without the airbag exploding in your face. If anyone has successfully done this, please share the details of DYI for all members, because I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one.

3) Lastly, if option 1 & 2 are not do-able, then is there a full overlay for the steering emblem that would cover it completely – not just the wedges please? If there is, who is selling it.

Thank you for your time.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

bring it to the dealer
      11-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
BMWKLR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white m235 cp RED w/gray pop

I had mine replaced. I had to get bmw corporate on the phone and ask them if they wanted me looking at a defective roundel every time I get in my car. The service bozo denied it under warranty. They do have to change the entire airbag. Someone I know had a lease and didn't mind trying to pry it out. The roundel starts to deform once you get it to the prongs that hold it in. If you think about it, it makes sense, you don't want a roundel ninja star coming at you if the airbags deploy.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
rotaryboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT

Dealer denied my claim, as did the BMW field service rep. He said "in the old days" they would swap the bag. No more. It seems others are having their claims denied as well lately. I have seen a replacement cover on Ebay. Not just the emblem, but the airbag cover. I think it was $90 or so. You can buy a 3M type sticker that covers the emblem, but it's diffcult to find unless you are into carbon fiber.

edit- found it. Item # 280417298924
Appreciate 0