E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Obama more popular than his policies

11-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Obama more popular than his policies

Surprise Surprise. Regardless of if the poll is completely accurate or not, it echoes sentiments that have been felt by many for a long time.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...oxuwi0lE&pos=9

Nov. 19 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama is more popular than his policies, according to a poll released today.

Almost three-quarters of American voters, 74 percent, surveyed in a Quinnipiac University poll liked Obama as a person while 47 percent agreed with most of his policies.

Fifty-three percent disapproved of his handling of health care compared with 41 percent who backed the president.

Most Americans “might like to have a beer” with Obama, said Peter Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute. Still, many who voted for him “aren’t crazy about the kind of change he is trying to bring.”

Voters opposed by 51 percent to 35 percent health-care legislation that was supported by Obama and passed by the House of Representatives on Nov. 7, the poll showed. At the same time, voters favored allowing people to be covered by a government-run insurance plan, a part of the House measure, and are against provisions that would make it harder to get the option, according to the poll’s findings.

Quinnipiac University released a poll yesterday that showed Obama’s approval had fallen below 50 percent for the first time.

Voters in the latest poll backed a so-called public option program to compete with private insurances by 57 percent to 35 percent. Forty-nine percent were against letting states opt out of the public option while 43 percent supported the idea.

Respondents opposed 47 percent to 38 percent a trigger provision, which would let people get the public option only if private insurance didn’t cover enough Americans.

The poll, taken from Nov. 9 to Nov. 16, has a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.
      11-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
lkw15
Major

Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
2015 M3  [5.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [4.75]
2013 BMW X5 35i Pre ...  [5.00]
I think that's the way it should always be, right? You shouldn't really hate the person, you just don't like their policies. I think our President is probably a pretty nice guy, a good family man, and wants to do what he think is right for the country, but I don't agree with 99% of what he's done so far. But I don't hate him.

I can see how that is hard for some to separate the two, though.
lkw15 is offline   United_States
      11-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
fdsasdasdf
Captain

Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

What's wrong with that? You can like a guy but dislike what he believes in. I've got friends who believe plenty of stuff that I really disagree in; it doesn't mean I should flat out no longer like them because of some differences.

In before "HAH HIS VOTERS ARE MINDLESS SHEEPLE" because that's not what this poll is about.
      11-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

I think that the point being made is an obvious one.

The way that Obama was elected and is currently treated is more like an episode of Dancing with the Stars (in which viewer votes based on popularity carry a big stick) instead of a decision being made based on a comparison of policies and credentials, and how they will affect the country.

There is a reason that there is an abundance of pro-Obama propaganda/collectibles/items out there, far and above anything seen in the past.
      11-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
jaiman
Captain

Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
I think that the point being made is an obvious one.

The way that Obama was elected and is currently treated is more like an episode of Dancing with the Stars (in which viewer votes based on popularity carry a big stick) instead of a decision being made based on a comparison of policies and credentials, and how they will affect the country.

There is a reason that there is an abundance of pro-Obama propaganda/collectibles/items out there, far and above anything seen in the past.
Didn't Obama get something like 53% of the popular vote? And now 47% of the population likes his policies. I'd expect that 47% were poeple who originally voted for him. So basically, 88% of the people who voted for him, like what he is doing. The 47% who didn't vote for him are now joined by 6% who originally voted for him but now don't like his policies.

This doesn't seem odd and I'd venture most Presidents have similar stats after a year(ish) in office. The people who didn't vote for you didn't like the platform you ran on and they definitely won't like the policies you actually are able to implement. In fact, due to the checks and balances in the system that will water down policy, people who liked your original ideas may not like what comes out of the political machine at the end.

Edit: some quick googling later, it seems that of the last 12 US Presidents only 4 had higher approval ratings after 1 year in office. They are Bush 1, Nixon, Bush 2 (huge boost after Sept. 11) and Kennedy. Everyone else has a lower approval rating.
      11-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Hawkeye
Brigadier General

Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6

Garage List
HAH HIS VOTERS ARE MINDLESS SHEEPLE

oh, wait. The part about the states opting out of the public option is that they would still have to pay for it even fi they opted out. That part didn't seem fair to me.

I want to Like Obama, but he has done so much that I THINK harms the American way that I start to doubt he is not doing it on purpose, to "destroy" America and maybe build it up the way he wants it to be.
Hawkeye is offline   No_Country
      11-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
quagmire
I am Gundam

Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD

Quote:
Voters opposed by 51 percent to 35 percent health-care legislation that was supported by Obama and passed by the House of Representatives on Nov. 7, the poll showed. At the same time, voters favored allowing people to be covered by a government-run insurance plan, a part of the House measure, and are against provisions that would make it harder to get the option, according to the poll’s findings.
So if it was easier, would these people then switch to support the health-care legislation that was passed? That is the underlying question. These provisions obviously put in place to please the Republicans and the more conservative Democrats actually caused public support to drop it seems.
      11-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
Hawkeye
Brigadier General

Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6

Garage List
It's not just provisions put in after the fact. The initial bill was not JUST the PO, it had many many provisions of it's own. There are provisions in there to please all the people that donate money to any type of government official, that is one of the big reasons people are on the fence, they have no idea what all is in there (And 90% of the congressmen don't know either!)

Personally, I am against the PO itself just cause I don't want to be paying for other people's poor choices.
Hawkeye is offline   No_Country
      11-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
pdjafari
Colonel

Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

There's this HBO Documentary that plays ALL the time on Obama and his rise to the presidency. One thing I'll never forget is one part prior to the Iowa Caucus when a reporter asked Obama 'Do you ever lose sleep at nite'

He replied 'Nothing ever causes me to lose sleep at nite' and suddenly, he realized what he had just said and said '...Well of course the current economic situation and the hardships facing americans....'

Expect nothing less/nothing more, he is a politician afterall...

Freudian slip??