E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > iDrive occasional reboot. WTF ?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
systech
Private First Class
 
systech's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i (sold) 997.2 Carrera S
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Adelaide South Australia

Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)

iDrive occasional reboot. WTF ?

Sorry to monopolise the forum with my minor and probably inane problems, but what the hell...that's what the forum is for isn't it (in part at least)

I will however also post some photos of the car (2008 335i with DCT) and driving impressions of the DCT in due course

After all the complaints about iDrive over the years, I was somewhat surprised to find that it is fine and reasonably intuitive. Have managed to perform most functions without consulting the manual once. Clearly the addition of the various buttons (radio, Back, Nav, Tel etc) have simplified navigation of the various menus.

Just one minor issue...occasionally it seems to reboot randomly (usually when using navigation and then switching audio sources although it does not appear to be repeatable).

I'm guessing it's just a minor software bug (it is a new version after all and the range of functions and car options is pretty large).

Has anyone experienced this? Is it a known issue?
Will raise with the dealer perhaps at the next service unless it degenerates (at the moment it is still in the minor nuisance category).
systech is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Sparky66
Major
 
Sparky66's Avatar
 
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (0)

Yeah sometimes I get screen freeze(lock up) at start up warning screen. It's like the iDrive computer heats up. Rebooting by turning ignition fully off doesn't work till it cools down...........then it works again.
Sparky66 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
systech
Private First Class
 
systech's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i (sold) 997.2 Carrera S
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Adelaide South Australia

Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by systech View Post
Sorry to monopolise the forum with my minor and probably inane problems, but what the hell...that's what the forum is for isn't it (in part at least)

I will however also post some photos of the car (2008 335i with DCT) and driving impressions of the DCT in due course

After all the complaints about iDrive over the years, I was somewhat surprised to find that it is fine and reasonably intuitive. Have managed to perform most functions without consulting the manual once. Clearly the addition of the various buttons (radio, Back, Nav, Tel etc) have simplified navigation of the various menus.

Just one minor issue...occasionally it seems to reboot randomly (usually when using navigation and then switching audio sources although it does not appear to be repeatable).

I'm guessing it's just a minor software bug (it is a new version after all and the range of functions and car options is pretty large).

Has anyone experienced this? Is it a known issue?
Will raise with the dealer perhaps at the next service unless it degenerates (at the moment it is still in the minor nuisance category).
Just a quick progress report.

The dealer reloaded the iDrive software (although it transpires that I had the latest version of the software aleady loaded), which seemed to eliminate the problem for a few weeks. However, it still occasionally reboots. The dealer tells me that a new software version is being released this month so will try that and hope that is resolves the issue.

Just to repeat my initial question, has anyone suffered similar problems ?
systech is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
Cadillac
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney Australia

Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

My 2006 335i experiences it sometimes...will usually only work again after cooling down...sometimes will revert back to normal after 20 minutes of driving.
Had one software upgrade that improved it
Cadillac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2009, 02:57 AM   #5
chappy
Lieutenant
 
chappy's Avatar
 
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane Australia

Posts: 594
iTrader: (0)

No problems with mine only almost 1 year old thow my old is250 lexus sat nav kills the german sat nav for dead.
Can't beat japanese tecknos.
__________________
THE BEAST Vishnu Procede V5 2.5rev/Stage 2/ AFE DCI Intake /M3 suspension/Forge Intercooler/Alpina B3 AT Flash/Bird's B3 Suspension/BMW OEM M3 Steering Wheel and DCT Paddles/LUX V4 Angel Eyes
chappy is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
MFKN3
Colonel
 
MFKN3's Avatar
 
Drives: 4.5L stroker s/c E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 2,004
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
No problems with mine only almost 1 year old thow my old is250 lexus sat nav kills the german sat nav for dead.
Can't beat japanese tecknos.
The sat nav in them are pretty good, but funny the ES300 my folks have is like something from the 80's, it's terrible and real hard to use! Wonder why lexus don't keep it consistent across all cars.
MFKN3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2009, 07:23 AM   #7
systech
Private First Class
 
systech's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i (sold) 997.2 Carrera S
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Adelaide South Australia

Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)

It has just occurred to me that the iDrive reboot I described in the first post only ever occurs at the same (or very similar) location which suggests to me that there is an EMI/EMC problem, i.e. the high field strengths from a nearby transmitter (probably a mobile phone tower) is causing this problem. Normally, a decent EMI / EMC design would hinder this susceptibility to such radiated interference. Great mechanical engineers they may be but clearly BMW are still learning the electronic engineering game !

Anyone with the latest version of the iDrive with Professional Nav etc experience similar problems?
systech is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
samchuang33
Captain
 
samchuang33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 330d LCI Sport
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 748
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by systech View Post
Anyone with the latest version of the iDrive with Professional Nav etc experience similar problems?
My has been ok. Never reboot by itself. The only shit I have is my Nokia N71 seem to stay connected to car even with car off so have to frequently restart my phone. Another issue is that the playlist does not come back on when i restart the car sometimes. I have to go back out and press currently playlist again to get list showing.

Do u have any of those problem Systech?
__________________
2009 LCI 330d Sport Auto
Space Grey, Sunroof, 18", Professional Nav, Individual Audio

Diesel POWER!!!!!!!
samchuang33 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
Scooterman
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia

Posts: 144
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by systech View Post
It has just occurred to me that the iDrive reboot I described in the first post only ever occurs at the same (or very similar) location which suggests to me that there is an EMI/EMC problem, i.e. the high field strengths from a nearby transmitter (probably a mobile phone tower) is causing this problem. Normally, a decent EMI / EMC design would hinder this susceptibility to such radiated interference. Great mechanical engineers they may be but clearly BMW are still learning the electronic engineering game !

Anyone with the latest version of the iDrive with Professional Nav etc experience similar problems?
No problems with mine so I think you should rule it out as being normal!
__________________

2008 E90 335i MSport, Blacklines, Tint, V4
Scooterman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
systech
Private First Class
 
systech's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i (sold) 997.2 Carrera S
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Adelaide South Australia

Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchuang33 View Post
My has been ok. Never reboot by itself. The only shit I have is my Nokia N71 seem to stay connected to car even with car off so have to frequently restart my phone. Another issue is that the playlist does not come back on when i restart the car sometimes. I have to go back out and press currently playlist again to get list showing.

Do u have any of those problem Systech?
I note that your phone does not appear to be listed in the attached document of "approved Bluetooth phones" from BMW so I guess it do great surprise that you are having a few problems with the N71.

I also find that sometimes you need to activate "play current playlist" menu but haven't been able to work out yet why you need to do this sometimes and not others.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf bmw_bluetooth_information_2009_en.pdf (331.8 KB, 72 views)
systech is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
idrive, problems, reboot

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST