E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Post 9/11 GI Bill

10-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
richeerich03
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to richeerich03
Post 9/11 GI Bill

Any Vets here who switch over to the new Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Just want to know if any who have, received any money yet. I have not been paid for the past 2 months already.. I have heard that they are cutting emergency checks, but I guess I can wait..

I had a feeling that this new system was going to be a mess...

Anyways if there is any vets or anyone in general here that has any questions about the GI bill, I have been using mine for over a year now so I maybe able to help you out or point you in the right direction..

Thanks...
      10-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
sayemthree
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeerich03 View Post
Any Vets here who switch over to the new Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Just want to know if any who have, received any money yet. I have not been paid for the past 2 months already.. I have heard that they are cutting emergency checks, but I guess I can wait..

I had a feeling that this new system was going to be a mess...

Anyways if there is any vets or anyone in general here that has any questions about the GI bill, I have been using mine for over a year now so I maybe able to help you out or point you in the right direction..

Thanks...

that sucks - everyone else is getting a stimulus or cash for clunkers and we cant pay our vets.

ohhhh I can wait for Government health care.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
that sucks - everyone else is getting a stimulus or cash for clunkers and we cant pay our vets.

ohhhh I can wait for Government health care.
Waiting will be the biggest part of govt healthcare.
      10-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
Septro
Banned
Rep

Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Without me looking it up - wats the diff between the new one and the old one? Just how you get paid? I think I have one more year on my GI Bill before it expires, i should use it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
richeerich03
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to richeerich03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septro View Post
Without me looking it up - wats the diff between the new one and the old one? Just how you get paid? I think I have one more year on my GI Bill before it expires, i should use it.
It depends on how much time you served after 9/11.
What is cool you get a monthly housing allowance equal to the basic allowance for housing (BAH) amount payable to E-5 with dependents, in same zip code as school. You can only get this if you go 3/4 or full time.

here is a link to check your zip code of your school. don't forget to set it as an E-5 w/ dependents..
http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/bah.html

New Gi Bill also covers tuition up to a certain amount and money for books..
If you don't use it all up it can know be transferred to dependents..

Here is one more link for more exact info with links..
http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/benefits.htm#CH33
      10-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Septro
Banned
Rep

Drives: '08 e90 335xi

^ thanks for that, was helpful.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
sayemthree
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Waiting will be the biggest part of govt healthcare.
I think the waste and the corruption will be worse than the wait.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Lola

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ArmyBimmerDude Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyBimmerDude
Had the option, but decided against it. I'd actually make less going with the Post 9/11 GI bill, but my situation would be different from someone not going through the Green to Gold program. Tuition payed for and BAH everymonth is great. I have a few fellow Cadets who have yet to receive a payment, so they're in the process of getting the emergency $3000 the VA is offering till everything gets squared away.
      11-18-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
LostMarine
Banned
Rep

Drives: Lying Vendors Crazy

i transfered my benefits to my wife (100%) It took 2 1/2 months for her to get her first check though.

I like it better than the chapter 30 Bill, it pays more overall.. ch 30 $12xx/mo while ch 33 $school up to $7k semester + E-5 BAH for school zip ($17XX for us..) and $1k year book stipend.. not a bad deal really.. plus i was told when she is done using it, I still have 1 year of ch 30 to use for myself..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Drives: VF

biggest. fiasco. ever.

Worth it once you get your money though.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

I still have not received a single payment under the post 9/11 GI Bill. Tomorrow marks 13 weeks since the VA received the required paperwork. I usually call every two weeks, and last week their answer was, "Well, a totally uneducated guess would be that you will start receiving payments mid to late december." I'm glad they're so sure of themselves. Thank God for VA disability or I'd be living in a damn box out on the streets right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ArmyBimmerDude Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyBimmerDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMarine View Post
i transfered my benefits to my wife (100%) It took 2 1/2 months for her to get her first check though.

I like it better than the chapter 30 Bill, it pays more overall.. ch 30 $12xx/mo while ch 33 $school up to $7k semester + E-5 BAH for school zip ($17XX for us..) and $1k year book stipend.. not a bad deal really.. plus i was told when she is done using it, I still have 1 year of ch 30 to use for myself..
Actually, the regular GI Bill pays $1380 per month which is more than the E-5 BAH in most cases. I pocket that and use my TA for the classes. If you want to take a ton of classes, then the 9/11 GI bill is for you, otherwise you make more with the CH 30 version.
      11-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #13
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
I still have not received a single payment under the post 9/11 GI Bill. Tomorrow marks 13 weeks since the VA received the required paperwork. I usually call every two weeks, and last week their answer was, "Well, a totally uneducated guess would be that you will start receiving payments mid to late december." I'm glad they're so sure of themselves. Thank God for VA disability or I'd be living in a damn box out on the streets right now.
You arent the only one. A female in my class has been waiting for hers since August. All they give her is $200 a month for some reason. The system is really jacked up right now and they told her on the phone, they have no hard time for when she'll get all that money. Luckily her husband went through the AD Green to gold option, so they're covered.
      12-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #14
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

Speak of the devil! So today I decided to make another phone call today...I called 73...yes 73 times before I finally got through, only to be put on hold for 45 minutes. BUT, after waiting forever, I hear the best news ever!

"Sir, it looks like your claim was just processed and you will be receiving payment within 3-5 business days."

It's about damn time! wooohooo!!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #15
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
Speak of the devil! So today I decided to make another phone call today...I called 73...yes 73 times before I finally got through, only to be put on hold for 45 minutes. BUT, after waiting forever, I hear the best news ever!

"Sir, it looks like your claim was just processed and you will be receiving payment within 3-5 business days."

It's about damn time! wooohooo!!
Awesome! I'm so happy i didn't have to go through the lengthy process you did. Rock on.
      12-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #16
LostMarine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Actually, the regular GI Bill pays $1380 per month which is more than the E-5 BAH in most cases. I pocket that and use my TA for the classes. If you want to take a ton of classes, then the 9/11 GI bill is for you, otherwise you make more with the CH 30 version.
ch 33 pays for school plus e-5 bah.. you get more with it,
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #17
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ch 33 pays for school plus e-5 bah.. you get more with it,
My TA pays for school, the GI bill goes to my pocket. The ch 33 sends the money to your school and you only pocket the BAH and the $1k book stipend. I've been using my benefits for a while, thanks.
      12-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #18
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
My TA pays for school, the GI bill goes to my pocket. The ch 33 sends the money to your school and you only pocket the BAH and the $1k book stipend. I've been using my benefits for a while, thanks.
Shit, we weren't allowed to use the GI Bill on top of TA when I was on active duty.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #19
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Shit, we weren't allowed to use the GI Bill on top of TA when I was on active duty.
I'm not on Active duty right now. Wanted to get the ROTC thing started as soon as possible so instead of waiting another year, i went the Chapter route and am in the Reserves till next December when I commission.
      12-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #20
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
I'm not on Active duty right now. Wanted to get the ROTC thing started as soon as possible so instead of waiting another year, i went the Chapter route and am in the Reserves till next December when I commission.
Didn't know about that. Reminds me a little bit of MECEP when I was in.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #21
LostMarine
Banned
Rep

Quote:

AAHHHH.. OK, i got ya, i didn't know you had that.. i thought you were using ch30 to pay for school..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #22
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
AAHHHH.. OK, i got ya, i didn't know you had that.. i thought you were using ch30 to pay for school..
Nah, the deal was they Chapter me out, then i sign into the reserves and go through ROTC for a couple years. They were scared shitless when I didnt return their phone calls for two days after discharge. It's too easy and a nice break at the 10 year mark. Of course i cannot wait to be AD again, my entire life has been spent with the military in some form.