E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Couple slips though security to crash state dinner

11-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
purespeed
Private First Class

Drives: 67 cobra

Couple slips though security to crash state dinner

By DOUGLASS K. DANIEL, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON – Michaele and Tareq Salahi like a good party, an attorney who knows them said Thursday, and maybe that's why the couple from Virginia's horse country didn't look out of place at the White House state dinner for the Indian prime minister.

They were all smiles as they rubbed shoulders with Vice President Joe Biden, White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel, Washington Mayor Adrian Fenty and CBS News anchor Katie Couric.

No one suspected the Salahis were a couple of brazen party crashers — and wannabe reality TV stars.

President Barack Obama was never in any danger because the Salahis went through the same security screening for weapons as the 300-plus people actually invited to the dinner honoring Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Donovan said.

The Secret Service learned about the security breach Wednesday after a media inquiry prompted by the Salahis' online boasts about having attended the private event, Donovan said.

One of the many photos from the dinner posted on Michaele Salahi's Facebook page shows the couple with a smiling Biden. In other photos, they appear alone or together with Emanuel, Fenty, Couric, Rep. Ed Royce, R-Calif., and three Marines in their dress blues.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091126...ninvited_guests
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
JB135i
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

This White House cannot coordinate with security for a friggin dinner party and they want to be in charge of 1/6th of the US economy...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
fdsasdasdf
Captain

Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135i View Post
This White House cannot coordinate with security for a friggin dinner party and they want to be in charge of 1/6th of the US economy...
Scary, isn't it? It'll be interesting to see how this all unfolds. We can only hope that they'll get their shit together.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
SteveMD
Colonel
United_States

Drives: '12 X5 50i, '11 GTI DSG

Garage List
2012 X5 50i  [0.00]
Prosecute and jail them. Attention-whores like these two and balloon boy parents etc need to be slapped in prison. Apparently they have been tryig their hardest to get on some kind of reality show.

At a minimum they lied to a federal official. That should be enough.
2011 VW GTI/DSG
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
TurboFan
Ski bum

Drives: sideways

What exactly did they do to deserve prison? Whom did they lie to? Secret Service admits they didn't check the guest list.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Couch
Colonel

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
What exactly did they do to deserve prison? Whom did they lie to? Secret Service admits they didn't check the guest list.
And those secret servicemen need to be fired. This is a huge embarrassment.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough

Drives: VF

Those two are complete douches, obviously, but I don't blame them for this fiasco. There's a bigger problem resting on the Service's shoulders. They never should have let these two slip by. It's inexcusable.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: E90

such a fail for security.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
TurboFan
Ski bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
And those secret servicemen need to be fired. This is a huge embarrassment.
I agree with that. I'll bet they try to get the couple on lying to a federal gov't official or something - send them out Martha Stewart style. Whether or not they actually did lie will be hard to prove, but the SS will try to save face.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

I guess I don’t really see this as a security issue; they were still subject to the same security measures everyone else was.

It wasn't like they slipped in the back door, came down from the rafters and totally bypassed all the security checks. THAT would be a security failure. These people even busted themselves.

The SS is trained to detect threats; these two were not a threat.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
Buegie
Captain
United_States

Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I guess I don’t really see this as a security issue; they were still subject to the same security measures everyone else was.

It wasn't like they slipped in the back door, came down from the rafters and totally bypassed all the security checks. THAT would be a security failure. These people even busted themselves.

The SS is trained to detect threats; these two were not a threat.
So basically you're saying you would let everyone in the city of DC attend as long as they went through the security checks? Just because someone doesn't have a weapon doesn't mean they aren't dangerous. The fact that the SS was given a list, and they admitted someone who was not on the list is a huge security breach.
      12-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #12
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
So basically you're saying you would let everyone in the city of DC attend as long as they went through the security checks? Just because someone doesn't have a weapon doesn't mean they aren't dangerous. The fact that the SS was given a list, and they admitted someone who was not on the list is a huge security breach.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
+1
Yeah look at the reporter in Iraq with his shoes, he was deadly accurate!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
Well, since i didn't type that, no, that's not what i'm saying. i'm saying this issue of two jack asses crashing a dinner party isn't as big of a deal as the general public is making it out to be. How do you know this hasn't happened before? These people likely wouldn't even have gotten busted if they kept their mouths shut. And do you know for a fact that dangerous people aren't ever on the list? I'm also saying that in this instance the "huge security breach" didn't do any harm. now, it's likely neither you or i know jack squat about the SS, but i'm willing to bet that had these (dangerous or non-dangerous) people been a threat, the SS would have detected it and dealt with it accordingly.

The false sense of security that the people of america has is sicking. You can't secure everything 100% of the time. Attempting to do so is an exercise in futility. Face the facts.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 02:47 AM   #15
Htown09
Captain

Drives: E92

We need a Revolution. And I am serious.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 05:08 AM   #16
TurboFan
Ski bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Well, since i didn't type that, no, that's not what i'm saying. i'm saying this issue of two jack asses crashing a dinner party isn't as big of a deal as the general public is making it out to be. How do you know this hasn't happened before? These people likely wouldn't even have gotten busted if they kept their mouths shut. And do you know for a fact that dangerous people aren't ever on the list? I'm also saying that in this instance the "huge security breach" didn't do any harm. now, it's likely neither you or i know jack squat about the SS, but i'm willing to bet that had these (dangerous or non-dangerous) people been a threat, the SS would have detected it and dealt with it accordingly.

The false sense of security that the people of america has is sicking. You can't secure everything 100% of the time. Attempting to do so is an exercise in futility. Face the facts.

Everyone attending is submitted through a background check. To have someone "unapproved" is considered a huge breach. Virtually anyone can kill another human in a matter of seconds with nothing other than bare hands if properly trained. The SS would be able to do nothing.

Appreciate 0