E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Nokia E50

11-13-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
4-series
The best BMW ever!

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Nokia E50

i am planning on buying a new GSM unlocked phone in Europe. I am thinking of the new Nokia E50 (not available in US market). Does anyone know if this phone is compatible with BMW bluetooth (address book sync)? If not, would you suggest any good compatible and recent Nokia phone. Thanks.

Link for E50 http://europe.nokia.com/phones/e50
      11-14-2006, 04:47 AM   #2
Lydiamight
Enlisted Member

Drives: E92 335D Motorsport

It rather depends what you want from your phone. A "classic" European business phone is the Nokia 6310i--you dont get any bells and whistles like cameras, MP3 players and radios--just a much in demand business telephone.You can but them "unlocked" from around £85 on Ebay and you can also pick up a BMW snap in cradle for around £20, which is much cheaper than buying one form a BMW dealer. If you want something smaller and with lots of facilities then look at the Nokia 6230i--you will probably get one for around £50 to £70. Being a user of both I can vouch for the fact that they will both work in a bluetooth equipped E91 complete with full download of address boook etc.
Lydiamight is offline   United Kingdom
      11-14-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
4-series
The best BMW ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiamight
It rather depends what you want from your phone. A "classic" European business phone is the Nokia 6310i--you dont get any bells and whistles like cameras, MP3 players and radios--just a much in demand business telephone.You can but them "unlocked" from around £85 on Ebay and you can also pick up a BMW snap in cradle for around £20, which is much cheaper than buying one form a BMW dealer. If you want something smaller and with lots of facilities then look at the Nokia 6230i--you will probably get one for around £50 to £70. Being a user of both I can vouch for the fact that they will both work in a bluetooth equipped E91 complete with full download of address boook etc.
Thanks you for the feedback. I am assuming you can call name displayed (using adddress book) from the car.

For both phones, does the addressbook sync the default number or all numbers for a particular contact (Home, Work, Mobile, Other, ...)? I heard this is a weakness with Nokia.

Also, can you dial by name (without verbal training of system)?

Thanks again!
      11-15-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
gIzzE
Major General

Drives: E350 cdi Estate.

Doesn't work properly with the BMW systems, can't get contacts over, Nokia know about this and said you never will be able to.
      11-16-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
4-series
The best BMW ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE
Doesn't work properly with the BMW systems, can't get contacts over, Nokia know about this and said you never will be able to.
Thanks for the feedback. Here in the US, the phone is not available but was planning on getting it from EU. I heard it is a good phone but contacts font is too small and almost unreadable.

Since it does not sync with BMW BT, i guess i need to find myself a different Nokia. suggestions?
      11-16-2006, 04:19 AM   #6
gIzzE
Major General

Drives: E350 cdi Estate.

Nokia are a pain in the arse at the moment with syncing etc.

If you like teh way Nokia work I would look at the new Sony phones, K800i, w810i etc. I know that sounds a bit dumb but the new Sonys work in a similar way to the old Nokias, nice and simple to move round the menus, long battery life, decent reception.
Also they are the best for compatability over bluetooth, the contacts sync up etc.

The K800i is an awesome phone, personally I want my phone for calls and texts, so a good reception, small form factor and decent battery life is what I need, and for this I am back with a K750i again. It has a good enough camera for catching funny snaps of mates drunk etc.
The camera on my K800i was better, being a 3.2 mp camera, but still not good enough to take anything but phone pictures, plus the battery was not as good, it was bigger and the reception not quite as good either. So I bought anther K750i my 3rd one in just over 2 years.
      01-18-2007, 02:24 AM   #7
shadowcoder
Captain

Drives: 2006 330i

Since you are interested on Nokia phones, get a Nokia 7370.
Just tested it on my car - works fine and downloads the
phonebook too.
shadowcoder is offline   Greece
      01-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #8
SoYank
Major General

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
I have a Nokia 6230i that pairs easily with my E90. I can dial any number that is in the phone's phonebook by name. I can dial by number, too. What I haven't dealt with is being able to differentiate between the mobile, home, and office phone numbers for the people in my phonebook without having to specify a separate entry for each phone.

There is a cradle adapter for the Nokia 6230i as well but because the phone doesn't have an externa antenna port, the adapter uses a coil to intercept the phone's radiation and transfers it to the car's external antenna. The charger still connects and the whole unit is out of sight of prying eyes.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
SoYank is offline   United_States
      01-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
bakdraft
Private First Class

Drives: 320 D, March 2006,

Here is the UK list of mobile phones aproved for E90's and their status.
      01-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #10
JSpira
Freude am Fahren

Drives: Fόnfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakdraft
Here is the UK list of mobile phones aproved for E90's and their status.
Just please keep in mind, that this chart is not relevant for cars in the U.S.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member