E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Clutch or Tranny issue?

12-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
Nk235
Private

Drives: 2007 335i

Clutch or Tranny issue?

I have a 2007 6spd manual 335i coupe with 33k miles (i'v owned it since 28k miles)

Recently I have been experiencing rough first gear starts from a dead stop. I'll give it some gas slowly let the clutch out properly and I can feel a jerking motion almost as if someone who is new to driving stick is at the controls. I even try giving more gas than I need to and take special care to let the clutch out extra smooth but still get these rough starts.

Is this a sign that the clutch is wearing or is this a problem with the actual tranny? I figured I would wait before I bring it in for service to see if it gets worse or not. Also it isn't too noticeable but for someone who drives a manual version of these cars you will notice it especially since the tranny on the BMW is usually so smooth. But I worry that the SA wont notice anything in a test drive as it is only a slight issue right now. So I would appreciate any suggestions on what this may be and possible courses of action (ex. don't know if they can check the clutch wear externally?)

Thanks in advance
Nick
      12-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Socom
Major General

Drives: 2010 335D

First, I would bring it in so there will be a record of an attempted repair. Secondly, I might consider the CDV delete (Search DIY).
      12-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
krispeee

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i Arctic Metalic

could be your CDV (clutch delay valve) just doing it's thing.
      12-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Nk235
Private

Drives: 2007 335i

Thanks for the two responses. I am surprised tho...I did not even know about that feature. After doing the research on it, it sounds exactly like what my problem is. Now I guess I will be researching how to disable that feature.

I just got a Jb+ and BMS Dual CAI for xmas so I'll be under the hood soon anyway...

-Nick
      12-23-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
krispeee

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i Arctic Metalic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nk235 View Post
Thanks for the two responses. I am surprised tho...I did not even know about that feature. After doing the research on it, it sounds exactly like what my problem is. Now I guess I will be researching how to disable that feature.

I just got a Jb+ and BMS Dual CAI for xmas so I'll be under the hood soon anyway...

-Nick
sweet! good luck with the mods!
      12-27-2009, 01:26 AM   #6
Quisp
Does not play well with others

Drives: BMW

Curious, does it do it only when it is cold or also whwen warmed up. It behaves like a first time manual transmission driver is behind the wheel learning how to clutch and shift. There was a problem with this a while back and it was fixed b a software update. The SIB came out in 2007 I beleive.
When my clutch went at 22000 miles the first symptoms were slipping in the higher gears.
I was under the impression that the CDV would make this less likely to happen since it lets the clutch disengage slowly rather than dumping it. It makes it hard to spin the wheels and I wuld think that it would help prevent the bucking but I could be wrong
      12-27-2009, 02:22 AM   #7
NiVeDh
Major General

Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT BSM

Garage List
Do the CDV delete ASAP. It's cheap and you owe it to yourself to do it.
NiVeDh is offline   India