E90Post
 


Alpine HID
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Squeaking noise from rear wheel



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Metro
Lieutenant
 
Metro's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 ///M5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 438
iTrader: (10)

Squeaking noise from rear wheel *PERMANENT FIX FROM BMWNA?*

**** POSSIBLY A PERMANENT FIX COMING FROM BMWNA?******




When driving at slow speeds (~10mph) there is some squeaking coming from my left rear wheel. Not under braking so I figure it is something to do with the suspension or maybe the axle. The dealership has tried very hard to replicate the squeaking but haven't been able to. Doesn't seem to be a difference if the car is cold or warm, but it is exaggerated when going up an incline (mulit-level parking garage). Has anyone run into this before and what was the fix?
__________________

Last edited by Metro; 03-05-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: PERMANENT FIX FROM BMWNA?
Metro is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
ala012
Koala012
 
ala012's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Dakar Yellow
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ, Seoul S.Korea

Posts: 629
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to ala012
Go to different dealership.

It's well known problem.

Your rear brake need to be fixed.

Search for brake squeal.
__________________
E92 M3 Dakar Yellow DCT | CF Trim
Akrapovic EVO Exhaust | RECARO RS-F SK2 Seat | KW Clubsports | H&R Sway Bar | DCT Cooler | iTG Air Filter | Volk TE37 SL + RS3 Tire
ala012 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Metro
Lieutenant
 
Metro's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 ///M5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 438
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ala012 View Post
Go to different dealership.

It's well known problem.

Your rear brake need to be fixed.

Search for brake squeal.
Sounds like you have experience with this. Can you explain what the issue is so I can tell my dealership? Unfortunately the next closest dealership is a hefty drive. Thanks.
__________________
Metro is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
BKV122
Major
 
BKV122's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,087
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro View Post
Sounds like you have experience with this. Can you explain what the issue is so I can tell my dealership? Unfortunately the next closest dealership is a hefty drive. Thanks.
give them this TIS# SIB 34 08 08

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/b340808g.htm

Same problem. Dealer replaced rear pads and sesnors
__________________

Monaco Blue 330xi - Terra Interior/6-MT/Sport/Premium/Cold/CSL's/M3 Spoiler Lip/Black Kidney's
BKV122 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Metro
Lieutenant
 
Metro's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 ///M5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 438
iTrader: (10)

^
Awesome, thanks. Hopefully this will get rid of that damn annoying squeak.
__________________
Metro is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
Metro
Lieutenant
 
Metro's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 ///M5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 438
iTrader: (10)

So this is a well known problem with our vehicles an usually the fix is to replace components (pads, calipers, etc.) but doesn't typically provide a permanent solution. I went into my dealership and had a lengthy discussion with my SA and the shop foreman, who seem genuinely interested in taking care of this annoying problem. According to the SA, they have been back and forth with BMWNA, who has actually acknowledged the issue - admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery...or something like that. There has been a "technical case" opened on the situation (does this mean PUMA case?) and the dealership and BMWNA have been going back and forth attempting to find the appropriate PERMANENT solution. They are keeping the car overnight and will be continuing to work on it throughout tomorrow, hopefully with a positive outcome. I'm not holding my breath just yet, but it was nice to know that there is a significant effort going on - even if it does mean that my car is now the guinea pig (apparently BMWNA keeps coming up with possible ways to fix the issue, the service dept tries it, drives it, still hears the squeak, and go back to BMWNA, try again.) Should hopefully get it back on Monday and we'll see what they've figured out.
__________________
Metro is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
BKV122
Major
 
BKV122's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,087
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [4.75]
Keep us posted! good Luck
__________________

Monaco Blue 330xi - Terra Interior/6-MT/Sport/Premium/Cold/CSL's/M3 Spoiler Lip/Black Kidney's
BKV122 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
ElBolo
Drink socially?
 
ElBolo's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 452
iTrader: (4)

So they still haven't figured out this problem? Wow Good luck I lemoned my car about a year and a half ago and I thought they had figured this out by now....
ElBolo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Googie
Irish
 
Googie's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 335i, 06 325i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ft. Lauderdale

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

I have the same issue. I brake at a light, speed bump, stop sign, etc. and then when I let my foot off the brake and the car starts to accelerate there is a squeaking sound that sounds like its coming from the rear suspension. It goes away above 10 or 15 mph. It doesn't happen when I have the brakes applied so I thought it was the suspension. Brought it to bmw a few times and they cannot duplicate it and cannot resolve it. It's very frustrating. For some reason it doesn't happen all the time, it comes and goes. I find it amazing that I spend a lot of money on a BMW and I have to deal with this sort of crap...a squeaky car.
So legally how can BMW not fix the problem when you have a Bumper to bumper warranty? Does it say something in the warranty documentation about this?
Googie is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
Metro
Lieutenant
 
Metro's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 ///M5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 438
iTrader: (10)

Okay, so here is the permanent fix: replace the pads, rotors and sensors. Wow, what a shocker! A PuMA case was opened on this situation and I'll credit my dealership with not accepting BMWNAs feeble attempts to "fix" the problem. My SA said that BMWNA was taking a lot of information (more than normal) and suspects that there will be a new SIB coming that addresses vehicles with certain rotors/sensors/pad build dates and will just say to replace everything.

For those of you who are still encountering this problem, recommend taking the SIBs that are referenced in this thread and you can also quote PuMA case #: 29814970. This should help your service dept quickly cut through all the steps necessary to get the problem fixed properly.

Here is what is on my invoice:
Customer states: ONCE DRIVE FOR ABIT AND COMING AWAY FROM A STOP THERE IS A SQUEAK FROM REAR
CAUSE: PC# 29814970
3421928 Removing and installing or replacing both rear brake discs
170 WB (N/C)
1 34-21-6-791-938 REPAIR KIT, BRAKE PADS
ASBES: 348012 (N/C)
1 34-35-6-789-445 BRAKE PAD WEAR SENSOR: 343030 (N/C)
2 34-21-6-764-655 BRAKE DISC: 342040 (N/C)
FC: 3421005700

42514 REAR PADS, ROTORS CAUSING NOISE ON TAKE OFF FROM A STOP. DUPLICATED THE CUSTOMERS CONCERN AFTER DRIVING THE CAR FOR ABOUT 6 MILES. ONCE THE BRAKES WERE FULLY WARM THEY WOULD MAKE A LOUD HIGH PITCH WHEN TAKING OFF FROMA STOP. INSPECTED THE REAR PADS, ROTORS, AND SENSOR. ALL OF THE CONTACT POINTS WERE LUBRICATED. I DID NOT SEE ANY VISUAL DEFECTS WITH THE PADS, SENSOR, OR ROTORS. I MEASURE THE ROTORS I NOTICED THAT THE OUTER DIAMETER WAS WORN MORE THAN THE INNER DIAMETER. rotor thickness outer diameter: 21.36mm, rotor thickness inner diameter: 21.52mm, pads: 8mm. I CONSULTED WITH THE SHOP FOREMAN AND WE DECIDED TO SENDA PUMA CASE #(29814970). AS PER PUMA, I CHECK TO BE SURE THAT THE PAD SENSOR WAS NOT TOUCHING AND IT WAS NOT. I CHECKED HISTORY TO SEE IF THE BRAKES HAD EVER BEEN REPLACED AND THEY HAD NOT. I TEST DROVE THE CAR AGAIN WITH THE PARKING BRAKE APPLIED (JUST ENOUGH TO DRAG AS PER PUMA) AND THAT DID NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. NEXT, PUMA AUTHORIZED ME TO REPLACE THE REAR PADS, ROTORS, AND SENSOR. I REPLACED THE READ PDS, ROTORS AND SENSOR. THEN I TEST DROVE THE CAR NO LONGER ABLE TO DUPLICATE THE CONCERN.
__________________
Metro is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2010, 05:39 AM   #11
simsimi1004
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 335i Cabriolet
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: BC Canada

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

^^ was it free?
simsimi1004 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
Googie
Irish
 
Googie's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 335i, 06 325i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ft. Lauderdale

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Good work Metro! I am going to print this info and bring it in with me.
By the way what is a puma case?
Thanks
Googie is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
Metro
Lieutenant
 
Metro's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 ///M5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 438
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsimi1004 View Post
^^ was it free?
Yep, covered under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googie View Post
Good work Metro! I am going to print this info and bring it in with me.
By the way what is a puma case?
Thanks
PuMA is just the system used by the dealership to communicate with BMWNA. Kind of like a formalized text chat. PuMA is an acronym for something, but my SA couldn't remember exactly what it stood for. Good luck with your dealership.
__________________
Metro is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
BKV122
Major
 
BKV122's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,087
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [4.75]
Nice, good to hear it worked out for you in the end
__________________

Monaco Blue 330xi - Terra Interior/6-MT/Sport/Premium/Cold/CSL's/M3 Spoiler Lip/Black Kidney's
BKV122 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #15
Metro
Lieutenant
 
Metro's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 ///M5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 438
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKV122 View Post
Nice, good to hear it worked out for you in the end
Thanks, I appreciate your help. That's why I love this forum - fellow enthusiasts trying to help each other out.
__________________
Metro is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #16
Googie
Irish
 
Googie's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 335i, 06 325i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ft. Lauderdale

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

So I brought my car in and gave them the puma reference number and they replaced the brake pads and sensors. No more squeaking
Thanks again.
Googie is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #17
Metro
Lieutenant
 
Metro's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 ///M5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 438
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googie View Post
So I brought my car in and gave them the puma reference number and they replaced the brake pads and sensors. No more squeaking
Thanks again.
Awesome, glad it worked out.
__________________
Metro is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #18
ElBolo
Drink socially?
 
ElBolo's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 452
iTrader: (4)

I don't mean to burst your bubble but this is not the permanent fix. The problem will come back after you wear out the pads enough for the sensors to begin making contact with the rotors, which btw is what causes the noise, this will usually happen once you put some wear in the pads. This is the explanation I got back when I had my 335i by the shop foreman. They had replaced the Pads, Rotors & Sensors in my car and the problem came back within a month or so... I think it's also been talked about in a longer old thread. Good Luck!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro View Post
Okay, so here is the permanent fix: replace the pads, rotors and sensors. Wow, what a shocker! A PuMA case was opened on this situation and I'll credit my dealership with not accepting BMWNAs feeble attempts to "fix" the problem. My SA said that BMWNA was taking a lot of information (more than normal) and suspects that there will be a new SIB coming that addresses vehicles with certain rotors/sensors/pad build dates and will just say to replace everything.

For those of you who are still encountering this problem, recommend taking the SIBs that are referenced in this thread and you can also quote PuMA case #: 29814970. This should help your service dept quickly cut through all the steps necessary to get the problem fixed properly.

Here is what is on my invoice:
Customer states: ONCE DRIVE FOR ABIT AND COMING AWAY FROM A STOP THERE IS A SQUEAK FROM REAR
CAUSE: PC# 29814970
3421928 Removing and installing or replacing both rear brake discs
170 WB (N/C)
1 34-21-6-791-938 REPAIR KIT, BRAKE PADS
ASBES: 348012 (N/C)
1 34-35-6-789-445 BRAKE PAD WEAR SENSOR: 343030 (N/C)
2 34-21-6-764-655 BRAKE DISC: 342040 (N/C)
FC: 3421005700

42514 REAR PADS, ROTORS CAUSING NOISE ON TAKE OFF FROM A STOP. DUPLICATED THE CUSTOMERS CONCERN AFTER DRIVING THE CAR FOR ABOUT 6 MILES. ONCE THE BRAKES WERE FULLY WARM THEY WOULD MAKE A LOUD HIGH PITCH WHEN TAKING OFF FROMA STOP. INSPECTED THE REAR PADS, ROTORS, AND SENSOR. ALL OF THE CONTACT POINTS WERE LUBRICATED. I DID NOT SEE ANY VISUAL DEFECTS WITH THE PADS, SENSOR, OR ROTORS. I MEASURE THE ROTORS I NOTICED THAT THE OUTER DIAMETER WAS WORN MORE THAN THE INNER DIAMETER. rotor thickness outer diameter: 21.36mm, rotor thickness inner diameter: 21.52mm, pads: 8mm. I CONSULTED WITH THE SHOP FOREMAN AND WE DECIDED TO SENDA PUMA CASE #(29814970). AS PER PUMA, I CHECK TO BE SURE THAT THE PAD SENSOR WAS NOT TOUCHING AND IT WAS NOT. I CHECKED HISTORY TO SEE IF THE BRAKES HAD EVER BEEN REPLACED AND THEY HAD NOT. I TEST DROVE THE CAR AGAIN WITH THE PARKING BRAKE APPLIED (JUST ENOUGH TO DRAG AS PER PUMA) AND THAT DID NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. NEXT, PUMA AUTHORIZED ME TO REPLACE THE REAR PADS, ROTORS, AND SENSOR. I REPLACED THE READ PDS, ROTORS AND SENSOR. THEN I TEST DROVE THE CAR NO LONGER ABLE TO DUPLICATE THE CONCERN.
ElBolo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #19
Metro
Lieutenant
 
Metro's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 ///M5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 438
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBolo View Post
I don't mean to burst your bubble but this is not the permanent fix. The problem will come back after you wear out the pads enough for the sensors to begin making contact with the rotors, which btw is what causes the noise, this will usually happen once you put some wear in the pads. This is the explanation I got back when I had my 335i by the shop foreman. They had replaced the Pads, Rotors & Sensors in my car and the problem came back within a month or so... I think it's also been talked about in a longer old thread. Good Luck!
Ya, I suppose my sarcasm was not appropriately conveyed through my post. I was hoping for a better, actual permanent fix - like a modified design on the sensors or rotors or something like that. At least for the mean time, the squeak is gone and I've heard some folks that once it was fixed it never came back, but others....only time will tell.
__________________
Metro is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #20
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern CO

Posts: 2,585
iTrader: (4)

Sweet, mine is just starting to do this and I went in and they said to just keep an eye on it. Ill print this out and take it in when I get some time again and see what they can do. Thanks!
Dackz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #21
BKV122
Major
 
BKV122's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,087
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [4.75]
Well I think my squeak has returned!

and i also see that the SIB has been removed aswell

Last edited by BKV122; 03-22-2010 at 08:06 PM.
BKV122 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #22
TwinPowerF30
Captain
 
TwinPowerF30's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Posts: 610
iTrader: (0)

I just had my rear pads replaced today for the same problem. Using the same part number brake pads as quoted above.

34-21-6-791-938 REAR BRAKE PADS

Will post here if the sound comes back.
TwinPowerF30 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST