E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Ideal fuse slot for GPS hardwire (aside from Homelink)? 2007 E90 fuse chart attached.



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Ideal fuse slot for GPS hardwire (aside from Homelink)? 2007 E90 fuse chart attached.
Published by a l l a n
11-22-2008
Ideal fuse slot for GPS hardwire (aside from Homelink)? 2007 E90 fuse chart attached.

Just hardwired my GPS today via fuse tap. My Homelink fuse slot (#28) is already used for my V1 hardwire so I used another 5amp fuse slot (#8, with stacked disc symbol?). It works but #8 is always on so I'm a bit worried about it. I could have just tried every single 5amp fuse but I figured I should ask you guys what you recommend?

See below for my 2007 E90 fuse chart. Thanks!
__________________
E90 2007 / Step / Montego Blue / Black Dakota Leather / Premium / Cold Weather
MODS
: Exterior: Blacklines, debadged, HO ceramic 35% tint, Hoen yellow fogs, matte black grille, OEM style splitters, Halogen-to-Xenon Interior: Alum pedals, CF wrapped trim, V1 and Nuvi hardwire, M-Tech tri-stitched wheel, SMG M5 shift knob Performance: AluFelgen CSL 19" 8.5 ET33/9.5 ET30 with 5mm rear spacers | GY Eagle F1 Asym 235/265, KW V3, BMW Perf exhaust+intake
Tutorial Tools
Attached Images
  
  #1  
By a l l a n on 11-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I tried a few more fuse slots but all of them were always on so I just decided to use an open/unused slot. Still hoping to hear/find a better solution though from others.

Some pics of the finished product. Also, I hooked up the gps audio to the car stereo via the aux input (as shown on the last pic) and used a Y audio cable so I can play music and hear the gps audio at the same time.
Attached Images
     
Reply With Quote
  #2  
By e90phan on 01-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
quick question: i don't have the homelink function in my car --- does that mean i can't hardwire my radar detector to that fuse? does that fuse even exist if i don't have homelink?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
By 4wheelpilot on 01-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I am taking my 07 e90 in to a local installer to have a V1 and a GPS hardwired.
Based in another post, I will have them use an "add a circuit" so they don't tap into any existing wires...which may/would give BMW a possible excuse not to cover another electrical-related problem.

I will try to find out what they do and let you know.

How do you like the mount on your dash?
When your unit is removed, is there anything sticking out that holds the Garmin?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
By a l l a n on 01-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90phan View Post
quick question: i don't have the homelink function in my car --- does that mean i can't hardwire my radar detector to that fuse? does that fuse even exist if i don't have homelink?
Sorry, I don't know for sure but I would assume you can still use the Homelink fuse as the fuse itself would be still be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheelpilot View Post
I am taking my 07 e90 in to a local installer to have a V1 and a GPS hardwired.
Based in another post, I will have them use an "add a circuit" so they don't tap into any existing wires...which may/would give BMW a possible excuse not to cover another electrical-related problem.

I will try to find out what they do and let you know.

How do you like the mount on your dash?
When your unit is removed, is there anything sticking out that holds the Garmin?
The Kuda mount is nice. It blends nicely and you won't feel like it's out of place.

Yes, the Kuda mount and holder are visible when the unit is removed. Google "kuda bmw mount" and you'll see what it looks like.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
By e90drvr on 02-09-2009, 09:41 PM
allan:
i'm hardwiring my radar detector soon and was looking for an open ignition switched slot in my fuse panel today. found #14 on my nov. '05 330, it falls under the the sprocket icon (what is that?) on the fuse map. so if i were u i'd use one of those (#6, 26, 38, or 18 on ur car).
alternatively, use a voltmeter; ground it and start poking empty slots with the ignition off. when u find one that's off, test it with the ignition on.
also, my best guess on the stacked discs icon: cd changer.

e90phan:
not having the homelink function just means u won't have the fuse in your panel but the slot will still be there and will probably still be wired.
good news for you b/c u won't have to go looking for another slot to use.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
By e90phan on 02-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90drvr View Post
allan:
i'm hardwiring my radar detector soon and was looking for an open ignition switched slot in my fuse panel today. found #14 on my nov. '05 330, it falls under the the sprocket icon (what is that?) on the fuse map. so if i were u i'd use one of those (#6, 26, 38, or 18 on ur car).
alternatively, use a voltmeter; ground it and start poking empty slots with the ignition off. when u find one that's off, test it with the ignition on.
also, my best guess on the stacked discs icon: cd changer.

e90phan:
not having the homelink function just means u won't have the fuse in your panel but the slot will still be there and will probably still be wired.
good news for you b/c u won't have to go looking for another slot to use.

that's tight; thanks for the info man
Reply With Quote
  #7  
By thetryal on 02-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
i used 30 for both my valentine 1 and remote power to my amp. they are connected via a add afuse from autozone and each have a 5 amp fuse. #30 is for the cig lighter. its only whenever the radio can come on...car on or accessory. working great so far
Reply With Quote
  #8  
By mister wiggles on 02-25-2010, 12:55 PM
how is your GPS mounted?
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST