E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Why are the BBK kits so expensive?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #67
picus
Brigadier General
 
picus's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 4,176
iTrader: (0)

Those wheels are amazing.
picus is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #68
SV Concepts
 
SV Concepts's Avatar
 
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 1460 White Oaks Rd. Suite F. Campbell, CA 95008

Posts: 5,869
iTrader: (10)

Thank you! Want a set?
JL
SV Concepts is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #69
picus
Brigadier General
 
picus's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 4,176
iTrader: (0)

Haha, always the salesman. I've got a set of S-20's on the way. I didn't hear back about that BBK though. Shoot me an e-mail.
picus is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #70
SV Concepts
 
SV Concepts's Avatar
 
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 1460 White Oaks Rd. Suite F. Campbell, CA 95008

Posts: 5,869
iTrader: (10)

Can you please call 1.888.JLEVISW for a quote?
JL
SV Concepts is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2007, 03:15 AM   #71
///Matt
United States Marine
 
///Matt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ///Matt
Guys, just so you know, every OEM BMW Brake caliper has a piston/pistons ONLY on the INSIDE of the rotor. I may be wrong, but if I am, it's only on new M cars, or very old cars.

They use what is called a "floating" caliper setup. The single or dual piston (on X5's, only, if I recall correctly) only pushes on ONE side of the rotor. The caliper is on a pair of slides, and as pressure is applied to the inside of the rotor, the outside pad is pulled in towards the rotor, thereby applying the brakes.

In my opinion (and Brembo's, and Wilwood's, and Rotora's, and Stoptech's, etc etc) it's better to have a piston of EACH side of the rotor, but hey. Those crazy Bavarians over in Munich haven't led me wrong yet. My brakes work well enough.

However:

I'm a VERY aggressive driver, and I make it a point to hit my plethora of local awesome canyons every weekend, and sometimes in the week. My brakes get BEAT up. Our brakes do experience some intense fade. I'm not feeling all that safe on my brakes lately, in the canyon's. I'm probably going to pony up for a front BBK.
///Matt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #72
SV Concepts
 
SV Concepts's Avatar
 
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 1460 White Oaks Rd. Suite F. Campbell, CA 95008

Posts: 5,869
iTrader: (10)

Now is the time - we're selling one kit at a ridiculously low price.
JL
SV Concepts is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #73
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
 
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 1,330
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt View Post
However:

I'm a VERY aggressive driver, and I make it a point to hit my plethora of local awesome canyons every weekend, and sometimes in the week. My brakes get BEAT up. Our brakes do experience some intense fade. I'm not feeling all that safe on my brakes lately, in the canyon's. I'm probably going to pony up for a front BBK.
1 word of caution, anyone considering aftermarket brakes would do well to read about Car and Driver's experience with doing so on their endurance race prepped 335d. March 07, pg 84.

Also, a significant amount of brake fade is due to the rubber brake lines expanding with heat. Try SS brake lines.

Ps I'm not against the idea of BBK. I just want to find the answers.
sdiver68 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #74
eninetytwo
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Canada eh!

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlevi SW View Post
I drive an old hunk of junk with Ugly 3 Stage Paint









[GRAMPA STORY]
Back in my day, BMW 3 Series cars didn't come with forced induction. We had to make them forced induction ourselves! You kids these days with your 335's... you've got it good![/GRAMPA STORY]
JL
off topic...what rims u got?
eninetytwo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #75
///Matt
United States Marine
 
///Matt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ///Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
1 word of caution, anyone considering aftermarket brakes would do well to read about Car and Driver's experience with doing so on their endurance race prepped 335d. March 07, pg 84.

Also, a significant amount of brake fade is due to the rubber brake lines expanding with heat. Try SS brake lines.

Ps I'm not against the idea of BBK. I just want to find the answers.
That's wonderful advise. Thank you! I'm going to upgrade to ss lines before I drop the bomb on a BBK.

Matt
///Matt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #76
S4to335
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 95 Audi S6
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 4,377
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlevi SW View Post
I drive an old hunk of junk with Ugly 3 Stage Paint

[GRAMPA STORY]
Back in my day, BMW 3 Series cars didn't come with forced induction. We had to make them forced induction ourselves! You kids these days with your 335's... you've got it good![/GRAMPA STORY]
JL
Hey, did you get those Status seats from Josh?
S4to335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #77
SV Concepts
 
SV Concepts's Avatar
 
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 1460 White Oaks Rd. Suite F. Campbell, CA 95008

Posts: 5,869
iTrader: (10)

My wheels are DPE R20's - Contact us for pricing. You can view retail pricing on our site - we give 15% off.

My status seats are new - We are an authorized retailer for STATUS racing. You can order them on our website - there is a discount code.
SV Concepts is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2007, 09:50 PM   #78
S4to335
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 95 Audi S6
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 4,377
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlevi SW View Post
My wheels are DPE R20's - Contact us for pricing. You can view retail pricing on our site - we give 15% off.

My status seats are new - We are an authorized retailer for STATUS racing. You can order them on our website - there is a discount code.
No, I was thinking that you purchased them from Josh at Status Racing. I know Josh (use to be from ACHTuning).
S4to335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #79
SV Concepts
 
SV Concepts's Avatar
 
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 1460 White Oaks Rd. Suite F. Campbell, CA 95008

Posts: 5,869
iTrader: (10)

Gotcha

///Matt - You know that Brembo's come with SS lines, right? If you're eventually going to do a BBK, then why spend that money twice?

eninetytwo - DPE R20's - We sell them, so tell us if you need a set.

S4 - No sir
SV Concepts is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST