E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > C&D ultimate road test: 997.2 turbo vs ZR1.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #23
NYC6
Banned
 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Honestly, I dont know what you see in those pics that turn you off about the car. The interior isnt as upscale as some of the BMW's and P-cars but its not an uncomfortable place to be. I have the same seats in my Vette as the ZR1 minus the two tone leather and Z embriodery. They're not bad seats. The 1 seats are better but I have taken long trips in the Vette and can go for long periods without a break. Its a hell of alot better interior than a Lotus or some other Sports cars and can be competive with cars costing much more cash. I'll deal with the down a couple notches in overall interior bits and keep 5-10,000 in my pocket and still perform as well(if not better) as those others. To each his own.
NYC6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #24
Sniz
Lieutenant General
 
Sniz's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

Posts: 10,556
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Honestly, I dont know what you see in those pics that turn you off about the car. The interior isnt as upscale as some of the BMW's and P-cars but its not an uncomfortable place to be. I have the same seats in my Vette as the ZR1 minus the two tone leather and Z embriodery. They're not bad seats. The 1 seats are better but I have taken long trips in the Vette and can go for long periods without a break. Its a hell of alot better interior than a Lotus or some other Sports cars and can be competive with cars costing much more cash. I'll deal with the down a couple notches in overall interior bits and keep 5-10,000 in my pocket and still perform as well(if not better) as those others. To each his own.
I agree strongly, but I believe the masses would a "sexier" interior. It wouldnt be hard to do and woudl improve the entire vette lineup if they did it.
__________________
Sniz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #25
gonzo
Brigadier General
 
gonzo's Avatar
 
Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

Posts: 4,977
iTrader: (0)

GM has to hear the rants about the interior. They are just taking their sweet time to spiff it up a bit. ???

When I looked at Tahoe's Saturday, strong deals, they had a black and a white ZR1 on the floor.

The white one winked at me. It looked evil in a really good way.
gonzo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #26
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
 
Vudoo4u2's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: It's bobsled time

Posts: 2,797
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to Vudoo4u2
Quote:
Originally Posted by miktrebla09 View Post
I'm sorry, but this does not look like the interior of a 120K car:







I appreciate what the ZR-1 is capable of...but I really wish they would've at least spruced up the interior a bit...
What if we sent it off to Xzibit and he....pimped it...

__________________
Canon 14 F2.8 L II : Canon 50 F1.2 L : Canon 24-70 F2.8 L : Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS/L : Canon 5D Mark II : B+W Filters : Photo Whore
Vudoo4u2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #27
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
 
Vudoo4u2's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: It's bobsled time

Posts: 2,797
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to Vudoo4u2
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
That always seems to be the argument: This one is way cheaper, performs almost as well, so it must be the winner! Same thing is always said about the Nissan GT-R. For me, it doesn't come down to the price (not that I'm able to afford either car to begin with) but the emotions and prejudices I have when looking at the cars. I like the 911, I don't like the Corvette nor the GT-R. The Dodge Viper ACR is on the "very desired list" for me, so it isn't all about the prestige of the brand name (badge whore.)

The Porsche does it for me. Pinnacle performance, sexy good looks, superior build quality and German heritage. To me, Corvettes starting from the '70s on will always be the "trailer trash car" of the sports car world (C3-C5 really). I know the modern C6's like the Z06 and the ZR1 have incredible performance and are a really good "value", but I just don't respond to them when I see them on the road. But every 911 that drives by, be it a 964, 993, 997 or whatever gets my attention.
No disagreement here, I too would much rather sit in the turbo...its badass

for now I guess I'll have to settle for taking photos of them haha

I was only referring to their odd statement about one being a better track car than the other...while underperforming the "lesser" car on the track for 37k more
__________________
Canon 14 F2.8 L II : Canon 50 F1.2 L : Canon 24-70 F2.8 L : Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS/L : Canon 5D Mark II : B+W Filters : Photo Whore
Vudoo4u2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #28
ragingclue
My interior is turrible
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: stickferanaxle
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,717
iTrader: (1)

Maybe I'm not rich enough to be that picky, but if I've got a car that's THAT fast, I could give two shits what the dashboard looks like as long as it functions properly. Maybe I will get pickier with old age.
ragingclue is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #29
gonzo
Brigadier General
 
gonzo's Avatar
 
Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

Posts: 4,977
iTrader: (0)

It is no secret that I am a P fan but...

Frig'n hell. The sound man. The sound.

The other guy just may give up when he hears this next to him.

gonzo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #30
gonzo
Brigadier General
 
gonzo's Avatar
 
Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

Posts: 4,977
iTrader: (0)

Oh.. Do you think he is looking at the interior materials?

Maybe I am in a minority but that is sweet music to me.
gonzo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #31
miktrebla09
Private First Class
 
Drives: biped
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seoul / Boston

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Honestly, I dont know what you see in those pics that turn you off about the car. The interior isnt as upscale as some of the BMW's and P-cars but its not an uncomfortable place to be. I have the same seats in my Vette as the ZR1 minus the two tone leather and Z embriodery. They're not bad seats. The 1 seats are better but I have taken long trips in the Vette and can go for long periods without a break. Its a hell of alot better interior than a Lotus or some other Sports cars and can be competive with cars costing much more cash. I'll deal with the down a couple notches in overall interior bits and keep 5-10,000 in my pocket and still perform as well(if not better) as those others. To each his own.
I definitely don't think it's ugly..I just don't think they're up to the standards of other 120K cars. Of course, the performance of this car trounces anything 2 or 3 times the price (which is its main selling point). I just think it wouldn't have hurt GM to spend another 5-6K on the interior (we're talking less than a 5 percent increased in price for large gain in driving experience..not a bad investment).


Again, I say this based on the fact that I spend most of my time on the inside of the car, than the car does on a track. Other peope have different priorities.
miktrebla09 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #32
quagmire
I am Gundam
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,153
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miktrebla09 View Post
I definitely don't think it's ugly..I just don't think they're up to the standards of other 120K cars. Of course, the performance of this car trounces anything 2 or 3 times the price (which is its main selling point). I just think it wouldn't have hurt GM to spend another 5-6K on the interior (we're talking less than a 5 percent increased in price for large gain in driving experience..not a bad investment).


Again, I say this based on the fact that I spend most of my time on the inside of the car, than the car does on a track. Other peope have different priorities.
I do believe the leather dash comes standard on the ZR1. So while design wise, it looks a bit dull, it isn't plastic.

The reason the seats are bad because the chassis doesn't allow for wider seats to be installed. Hopefully something GM fixes in the C7 chassis.
quagmire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #33
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
 
OBI_agent's Avatar
 
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dubai

Posts: 2,094
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post

I was under the impression that high end sports cars(especially when driven at race tracks) should be driven by really, really,really good drivers. My S/C C6 Vette makes over 600 hp and its not a real hard car to drive fast. I havent driven the ZR1 but I'll bet its much better set up than my car to handle the hp/tq it produces.
Dude, I love vette's. I'm one of the people who doesn't care about the interior and ride. But facts are facts.


What I meant was put perfectly by this guy. Scroll down to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miktrebla09 View Post
From what I gather, for everyday drivers, it's easier to achieve the times they did around the track for the 997.2 than it is for the ZR-1.

I'm sure if the result was based on strictly performance, and not taking into account subjective observations, the ZR1 would've won.

That said, I'd pony up 20-30 more K for the turbo.
+1 this
__________________
11 corvette C6
OBI_agent is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #34
NYC6
Banned
 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
Dude, I love vette's. I'm one of the people who doesn't care about the interior and ride. But facts are facts.


What I meant was put perfectly by this guy. Scroll down to see.



+1 this
I love the Vette and would love to own that 911 also but what you say is fact and show me a quote of one persons opinion doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The one true fact in the origional article(and only that article, as others will come up with different #'s) is that the Corvette was faster around the track, on that day. Cold, hard numbers are fact.

Im sure many more heads up competitons between the two cars are forthcoming. And you and I and many others will be debating those also.
NYC6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #35
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
If it didnt have a heat soak issue it wouldnt have a 10 sec limit on overboost. That is the only reason to have an overboost feature in the first place. The Corvette doesnt have one and pumps out over 600bhp for long periods of time. I'll wager that over the course of several laps back to back the Vette would even open up more of a lead and be way ahead.

I was under the impression that high end sports cars(especially when driven at race tracks) should be driven by really, really,really good drivers. My S/C C6 Vette makes over 600 hp and its not a real hard car to drive fast. I havent driven the ZR1 but I'll bet its much better set up than my car to handle the hp/tq it produces.

And to use a word like "horrendous" to describe the Vettes power demonstrates to me the bias afforded the 911. If the P-car had that much hp it would likely be described as "glorious". But thats the way they sell mags. The newer model(especially 911's in this mags case) will often beat last years new phenom regardless what the track numbers say.
Over-boost is only a benefit when the go pedal is mashed to the floor AND only benefits mid-range, increasing max. torque and increasing hp within that rev range. OB does not increase max hp, however.
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #36
NYC6
Banned
 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Over-boost is only a benefit when the go pedal is mashed to the floor AND only benefits mid-range, increasing max. torque and increasing hp within that rev range. OB does not increase max hp, however.
Understood, Thanks. But my point is, the overboost button is only installed to prevent damage to the engine.

Checked out the pics of your new GT3. Fantastic car, enjoy.
NYC6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #37
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Yeah, you're right. Not that it matters, but there is no button, fully depressing the gas pedal within the required rev range prompts over-boost. It is very seamless. My .1 turbo had it. I could not feel the difference.

Thanks for the compliment.
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #38
NYC6
Banned
 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Yeah, you're right. Not that it matters, but there is no button, fully depressing the gas pedal within the required rev range prompts over-boost. It is very seamless. My .1 turbo had it. I could not feel the difference.

Thanks for the compliment.
Didnt know it was throttle activated,thanks. Although I should have got it after you explained it the first time.
NYC6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2010, 07:08 AM   #39
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
 
OBI_agent's Avatar
 
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dubai

Posts: 2,094
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
I love the Vette and would love to own that 911 also but what you say is fact and show me a quote of one persons opinion doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The one true fact in the origional article(and only that article, as others will come up with different #'s) is that the Corvette was faster around the track, on that day. Cold, hard numbers are fact.

Im sure many more heads up competitons between the two cars are forthcoming. And you and I and many others will be debating those also.
Lol, I didnt mean to fact that user's quote.
Anyway, I hope both of them keep on making great cars.
__________________
11 corvette C6
OBI_agent is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #40
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Didnt know it was throttle activated,thanks. Although I should have got it after you explained it the first time.
Are you near and/or familiar with Detailing Dynamics in Mineola? They do excellent clear bra work, detailing, etc... One of, if not the, best on the east coast.
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #41
NYC6
Banned
 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
Lol, I didnt mean to fact that user's quote.
Anyway, I hope both of them keep on making great cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Are you near and/or familiar with Detailing Dynamics in Mineola? They do excellent clear bra work, detailing, etc... One of, if not the, best on the east coast.
I've read about them on a Corvette site I frequent and heard good things. Im going to get the 135i tinted now that the weather is warming up. My guy in Great Neck is no longer there so I will give them a call and check them out. Thanks for the tip.
NYC6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST