E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Alpina D3-any good?

03-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
Billyray911
Colonel

Drives: 335d Msport,touring

Alpina D3-any good?

Specifically the touring...
Have been looking at buying a 335d for a while,but the sums just dont add up for what I would be using it for.With the costs involved and the high price of diesel,its just doesn't make sense and i was moving back to my thoughts of buying another marque.
Anyway, i stumbled across the D3 and it seems like a possible alternative.Am aware though,that all that glistens may not be gold when it comes to Alpinas and spec levels,so what are your thoughts of them-07 onwards...
Hoping that they are a good alternative to the 330/335 with some nice tuning potential or are they just a 320 with a few bolt-ons?
I know the square route of F-all about bmw's,so your help would be appreciated
Billyray911 is offline   United Kingdom
      03-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
AlanQS
Colonel

Drives: 320d SE Coupe

Garage List
If it's the D3 Bi-Turbo then the engine is the twin turbo 2 litre from the 123d and it's great. It's not 335d speed but it's pretty fast and has the legendary 320d fuel economy.

I don't know when they moved from the 320d engine as base to the 123d engine but the later one will definitely do the business for you - both in performance and fuel consumption.
      03-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Billyray911
Colonel

Thanks for the reply!As a performance buy predominantly-(i have a fairly quick subaru wagon a.t. m. so would be after an alternative)with the benefit of being frugal,and not wanting to be seen as a boy racer/twat,how do these compare with the fast diesel bm's?
Also,remapping wise,are the d3 biturbos a good base or would i have to be making massive upgrades to the brakes/suspension et al ?
      03-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
matt@stratford
Second Lieutenant

Drives: V60 D5-for 1 more week

If you are coming from a wrx i think you would be disappointed with the performance - economy wise you would be happy, i never got any more than 22mpg in my scubby wrx wagon (always put a smile on my face though). Me I would go for a 330d or 335d - i think the spec on the Alpina is crap for the price of the car.
      03-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
AlanQS
Colonel

Drives: 320d SE Coupe

Garage List
Basically, it isn't worth getting a map for a D3 bi-turbo - it's already pretty much as far as the engine will go - another 20bhp at most.
      03-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
J@mie
Private

Drives: 320D M Sport

The twin turbo diesel engine is fitted in the LCI (facelift) model before that they were the 320D type - I test drove the saloon when I was looking for a replacement, coming out of a 350Z I was surprised how NOT slow it felt in comparison and the ride and handling were excellent. However, In the end I went for a 320D M Sport coupe because for the price it was a better car in regards to spec - as mentioned the Alpina comes with sweet FA and you are paying for the brand. Only thing I would prefer is the non-runflat tyres and better suspension and brakes: NOTE: the D3 has 330D brakes as opposed to 320D

You need to way up if you would be happy with this type of car - my car is the first diesel I have owned and wasn't sure if I could convert, but after 6 months of ownership the excellent fuel economy actually keeps the smile on my face (oh sh*t, i'm old!) plus I will remap it and then type R fast will be enough!

03-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
chrisbin
Colonel

Drives: M-Benz C250CDi Est

Alpina D3 now available with "lux" spec, which brings it up to scratch imo.....prof nav pkg (including bluetooth), climate control, and piano black.

Ok its not a "high" spec. but it isn't bad, and with only a c.100 of each being sold each year, its a bit more "special" than your average "3"....

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
      03-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
Billyray911
Colonel

Tis a shame as i liked the look and the price of the D3.I'm running 305 in my wagon,so i wanted something comaparable in performance.
I drive a 330d at work,which is nice but a bit underpowered to start with,hence me looking at the 335.
I'm thinking that the compromise may be a 330M touring with a remap.Whats the concensus with the 330 as a base vehicle.Are the oe brakes/suspension/clutch up to the job?
Thanks for the advice by the way!
      03-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
gIzzE
Major General

Drives: E350 cdi Estate.

All the BMW oem parts will handle a remap no problem.

You can tune a 330d to around 290bhp with a straight through exhaust, better air intake and a remap.

The Alpina D3 will tune to around 230bhp, the D3 Bi Turbo to around 260bhp.
      03-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
encee
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 330d SE Steptronic

Mate, I`ve had a couple of Scoobs in the past......a PPP`d WRX, then a PPP`d STi, and to be honest, you`ll not be sorry if you buy a 330d compared with either of those........and THEN you need to remap the 330d, and you`ll be VERY pleased.......!

Just with a simple remap mine was turning out approx 270bhp, but the torque figure was superb, at around 427 lbs/ft.

However, should you go for the 335d, then it all gets REALLY silly !

Enjoy !!
      03-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
Hi Encee, welcome back. Where have you been!?
      03-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
encee
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 330d SE Steptronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Hi Encee, welcome back. Where have you been!?

Cheers Carl, and thanks for the welcome mate.

Unfortunately mate, life crashed massively last year for our family, as the wife was diagnosed with cancer (leukaemia), and it ripped through us like you wouldn`t believe, especially as we have young kids as well.

The up-side, however, is that she is now in remission, but it`s been a VERY hard 12 months; by far for my wife, who I have the greatest admiration and respect for. Sometimes I just don`t know how she got through it all, as the treatment (chemotherapy) involved being admitted to a cancer ward for 4 weeks at a time, then coming home for two, then back in for another 4, and so-on...........This continued for about 7 months, and was especially hard on the kids, who missed their mum like mad, but thankfully she is home now, and has been for about 4 months. She does, however, have to go back once a month whilst they check her bloods again, and give her the all-clear (we`re going in the morning for her latest check, as it happens....)

Anyway, she`s not worked for a long time, and no longer gets paid. As such, money`s been tighter too, and my beloved 330d Coupe is long-gone.

I will, however, be back in a BMW again one of these fine days.............such is life !

Sorry for the life-story Carl, but you did ask mate !

Again, thanks for the welcome-back; much appreciated !