E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Advice for basic performance gains.

03-24-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
BLACK335iCOUPE
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 335i Full Load

Advice for basic performance gains.

I have a stock 335i coupe and am looking for an easy & cheap way to gain performance. I would opt for JB3 but I don't really need that much power and then I'd have to upgrade exhaust/intake as well. Not to mention I'm still under warranty. I've heard cold air intake systems are usually the way to go when it comes to the first upgrade. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help with what brands to go with and how much each gains. By the end I'd like to have around a 50 HP/TQ. gain. Also, I've recently learned K&N air filters don't actually improve performance as advertised anyone know what other benefit there is to buying one then?

Thank you.
      03-24-2010, 02:35 AM   #2
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 E90 N54

An intake alone on a stock car is not going to yield any noticeable gains, but WILL further enhance other mods. If you are looking for 50 HP/TQ save yourself some time and money and buy a JB+. Its much easier to install than JB3 so you worry less about your warranty with it. Swap your airbox for dual cones and that should be all you need.
      03-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
hjernazian
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK335iCOUPE View Post
I have a stock 335i coupe and am looking for an easy & cheap way to gain performance. I would opt for JB3 but I don't really need that much power and then I'd have to upgrade exhaust/intake as well. Not to mention I'm still under warranty. I've heard cold air intake systems are usually the way to go when it comes to the first upgrade. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help with what brands to go with and how much each gains. By the end I'd like to have around a 50 HP/TQ. gain. Also, I've recently learned K&N air filters don't actually improve performance as advertised anyone know what other benefit there is to buying one then?

Thank you.
i know it's preferable to upgrade your exhause and intake when oyu get the JB3, but it's not really necessary (correct me if im wrong please). as far as the intake, you can get in a bundle deal from burger for like $75 (dual cone intake). i don't have these products YET, since my HPFP is about to go out for the first time (54k miles), but as soon as i get the HPFP replaced i'm going to grab the bundle for i think a little over $600... not that bad considering your adding about a 100 extra hp/torque. i think your best option is the JB3 + dual cone intake deal.
      03-24-2010, 03:26 AM   #4
hjernazian
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
An intake alone on a stock car is not going to yield any noticeable gains, but WILL further enhance other mods. If you are looking for 50 HP/TQ save yourself some time and money and buy a JB+. Its much easier to install than JB3 so you worry less about your warranty with it. Swap your airbox for dual cones and that should be all you need.
how is the JB+ easier to instal than the JB3? Just wondering, i'm looking into these products.
      03-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
dj128
Private First Class

Drives: '09 335i E92

Bang for your buck will be a new intake and a piggyback tune as stated above:

JB+ install: http://burgertuning.com/instructions/jbplus.pdf
JB3 install: http://burgertuning.com/instructions/jb3_pnp_guide.pdf

Whatever you decide on, get a BT Tool. I run the JB+ with the BMS DCI and BMW Performance Exhaust and within a week of turning it up to 75%, it threw a code. You have to pay to play...
      03-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
SV Concepts II

Drives: E90 M3

JB3 PNP, Intake, exhaust, downpipes... and the list goes on and on
SV Concepts II is offline   United_States
      03-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
bspaceman
The Last Beautiful Free Soul On This Planet

Drives: Jet Black 335i coupe

Send a message via Yahoo to bspaceman
Go for the JB+. It has the most bang for your buck. Definitely noticeable difference.

The direction I will most likely go is JB+/Dual Cone Intake/BMW Performance exhaust. I look at it this way: Unless BMW authorizes it, I won't put anything on my car that I can't remove with a small set of tools wherever I am at.

As with others here, I strongly recommend obtaining the Bavarian Technic tool, even if you are just running an intake. It beats having problems with your dealer when it comes time to replace your HPFP

Jet Black/Black Leather 335i coupe (totaled courtesy of the pizza kid
Sport/Premi/Comft/Nav - iDrive/Sirius/iPod/OEM Body kit, M Sideskirts, M deck lip, Miro 366s on Nitto 555 NTs, Matte Black Grills, Valentine 1 hardwire, 35% tint, BMS Lighting, BMS computer magic, BMS Dual Cone
bspaceman is offline   United_States
      03-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
themyst
Major General

Drives: E90 335i LCI

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Go with the JB3. You can dial it down to Map 2 or 3 if you want smaller gains over stock. Those advertised 80-100whp gains are Map7+ with race gas and all boltons. On pump gas, gains of 60whp are more realistic.

With a DCI/JB3 combo, you will be +60-70whp over stock. The biggest advantage of the JB3 over JB+ is the top end response.
      03-25-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
cstavaru
Brigadier General

Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Try the JB+...there was a group buy at $199 and it installs easily. You will not gain 50hp without a tune.
      03-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
Syndicategt
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i

#1 Tune
(#1) Get better tires if you are using runflats
#2 Downpipes
#3 FMIC
#4 DCI intake
#5 Exhaust

That's about as basic as you can get. I've owned a JB+ and currently have a JB3, and the install times are a matter of 5 mintues difference. Once you do the JB3 once or twice, you can have that thing in and our in under 15 minutes. Like others said, the tune will emphasize the intake and exhaust. Just make sure you go back to stock for warranty work.

Happy moding
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Syndicategt is offline   United_States
      03-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 07335i

You will get your best and cheapest gains with a tune. I would go with the JB+ for quick and easy install and just leave it at default as you say the JB3 is too much power.

In reality you will get used to the power and want more, so you might think about the JB3 now. On the other hand the JB+ comes with a 6-month upgrade program where we give you a full refund on the purchase price if you upgrade to the JB3. Great deal and give you an upgrade path if you decide you need more power.

Mike
Mike@N54Tuning.com is offline   Canada