E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Anyone Dyno'd JB3 2.0 & DCI's at high altitude? > 5000ft



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Baracus135i
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Africa

iTrader: (0)

Anyone Dyno'd JB3 2.0 & DCI's at high altitude? > 5000ft

Just got notification that my JB3 2.0, DCI's, BT & USB combo has cleared customs and should be arriving tomorrow

Now the thing is I live in Johannesburg South Africa at an altitude of 5700ft and am just wondering what sort of gains in wheel HP I could typically expect with just the JB3 & DCI's? I know its usually 60-80 HP at sea level but not sure what the effect of altitude will be? Bone stock dyno was 283 BHP & 303 lb/ft

Also what 1/4 mile times can be expected with these mods at altitude, I've got a 6MT? The local guys seem to run around 13.8 stock

Unfortunately 91RM (95RON) is the highest octane fuel available. However I can get my hands on some Torco octane booster, hopefully this should get me to 93RM? Has anyone tested 2.0, map5 at altitude higher than 5000ft using only 91, if so did you get any codes? I know a water meth injection kit will sort out all octane problems but unfortunately I'm gonna have to wait a while until I've got enough $'s
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Cornhusker
Lieutenant
15
Rep
403
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nebraska

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus135i View Post
Just got notification that my JB3 2.0, DCI's, BT & USB combo has cleared customs and should be arriving tomorrow

Now the thing is I live in Johannesburg South Africa at an altitude of 5700ft and am just wondering what sort of gains in wheel HP I could typically expect with just the JB3 & DCI's? I know its usually 60-80 HP at sea level but not sure what the effect of altitude will be? Bone stock dyno was 283 BHP & 303 lb/ft

Also what 1/4 mile times can be expected with these mods at altitude, I've got a 6MT? The local guys seem to run around 13.8 stock

Unfortunately 91RM (95RON) is the highest octane fuel available. However I can get my hands on some Torco octane booster, hopefully this should get me to 93RM? Has anyone tested 2.0, map5 at altitude higher than 5000ft using only 91, if so did you get any codes? I know a water meth injection kit will sort out all octane problems but unfortunately I'm gonna have to wait a while until I've got enough $'s
I dynoed 279 whp stock at 5k feet on a mustang, 337 with procede at 14.5 psi n no other mods. I probably wouldn't try to go over 14psi at that elevation... that's around 16 at sea level from what the guys over at cobb tuning here in utah said.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
cn555ic's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
18,287
Posts


 
Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus135i View Post
Just got notification that my JB3 2.0, DCI's, BT & USB combo has cleared customs and should be arriving tomorrow

Now the thing is I live in Johannesburg South Africa at an altitude of 5700ft and am just wondering what sort of gains in wheel HP I could typically expect with just the JB3 & DCI's? I know its usually 60-80 HP at sea level but not sure what the effect of altitude will be? Bone stock dyno was 283 BHP & 303 lb/ft

Also what 1/4 mile times can be expected with these mods at altitude, I've got a 6MT? The local guys seem to run around 13.8 stock

Unfortunately 91RM (95RON) is the highest octane fuel available. However I can get my hands on some Torco octane booster, hopefully this should get me to 93RM? Has anyone tested 2.0, map5 at altitude higher than 5000ft using only 91, if so did you get any codes? I know a water meth injection kit will sort out all octane problems but unfortunately I'm gonna have to wait a while until I've got enough $'s
Since your climate is always hot and the fuel is not the best, your next mod should be meth injection for sure!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
Kroy
Brigadier General
Kroy's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
3,035
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Since your climate is always hot and the fuel is not the best, your next mod should be meth injection for sure!
BIG +1

no better octane booster than meth.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
badass1g
Captain
badass1g's Avatar
13
Rep
646
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: utah

iTrader: (7)

OP, i am also in high elevation 4500 ft, i ran within a couple hp/tq as you bone stock, 91 octane as well, i gained only 20whp with map 3 on jb3 v1.4, and a whopping 80 rwtq, i dont know why only 20whp but a ton of tq added. Do not go above map 3 on only 91 octane at high elevation your car will most likely not like it and it is not worth the risk. In fact, my car seems to run smoother on map 1 so until i get meth/DP's im staying on map 1. Also i should be putting some catless DP's on in a week or so and plan on running 104 octane on map 8 at the track and dyno so i will post with what i get. im hoping for 350+rwhp and 400rwtq. And then im most likely going to purchase a procede to see exactly how it stacks up against JB. Good luck sir.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
midlife's Avatar
28
Rep
2,359
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i cabrio
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ..........

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass1g View Post
OP, i am also in high elevation 4500 ft, i ran within a couple hp/tq as you bone stock, 91 octane as well, i gained only 20whp with map 3 on jb3 v1.4, and a whopping 80 rwtq, i dont know why only 20whp but a ton of tq added. Do not go above map 3 on only 91 octane at high elevation your car will most likely not like it and it is not worth the risk. In fact, my car seems to run smoother on map 1 so until i get meth/DP's im staying on map 1. Also i should be putting some catless DP's on in a week or so and plan on running 104 octane on map 8 at the track and dyno so i will post with what i get. im hoping for 350+rwhp and 400rwtq. And then im most likely going to purchase a procede to see exactly how it stacks up against JB. Good luck sir.
Are you on jb3 2.0 ?
I am not sure you should run map 8 at 4,500 feet - even with race gas - could be a risk IMHO.
Best to do a map5 log and send it to Terry for his comments.

Do you have a custom map 1 tuned with terry's input ??
If yes - that is probably what u should run.
__________________
If your car isn't scary - it's just not fast enough !
RPI IC / UR catless DPs / JB3 2.0 beta / UR CAI / Quaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK oil cooler upgrade / Forge DVs /
M3 rear sway / Riss catch can / Paddle shifting 6AT / M Sport steering wheel / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 255/235 /
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
badass1g
Captain
badass1g's Avatar
13
Rep
646
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: utah

iTrader: (7)

No sir im V1.4.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 02:40 AM   #8
Baracus135i
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
I dynoed 279 whp stock at 5k feet on a mustang, 337 with procede at 14.5 psi n no other mods. I probably wouldn't try to go over 14psi at that elevation... that's around 16 at sea level from what the guys over at cobb tuning here in utah said.
Many thanks for the info, I really hope I'll also gain at least around 55-60 HP

Will post an update once I've done a few data logs and fined tuned Map 1 of JB3 2.0 with Terry
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 02:53 AM   #9
Baracus135i
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass1g View Post
OP, i am also in high elevation 4500 ft, i ran within a couple hp/tq as you bone stock, 91 octane as well, i gained only 20whp with map 3 on jb3 v1.4, and a whopping 80 rwtq, i dont know why only 20whp but a ton of tq added. Do not go above map 3 on only 91 octane at high elevation your car will most likely not like it and it is not worth the risk. In fact, my car seems to run smoother on map 1 so until i get meth/DP's im staying on map 1. Also i should be putting some catless DP's on in a week or so and plan on running 104 octane on map 8 at the track and dyno so i will post with what i get. im hoping for 350+rwhp and 400rwtq. And then im most likely going to purchase a procede to see exactly how it stacks up against JB. Good luck sir.
Hi Badass, hopefully the new custom functionality of 2.0 will allow me to set the optimal parameters for my altitude and at least match what our local guys are getting with just a flash tune, which is around 60HP. Will keep you updated
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
yujiyunes
MSEE, BSEE
United_States
0
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Utah

iTrader: (0)

Question for OP

Hey I live in Utah too...at about 5,500 ft. but I'm running PROcede. I'm planning on taking the car to a dyno soon, but the closest dyno is in Salt Lake City which is at a lower altitude (roughly 4,500 ft).

I've got a question for you OP. Do you know if the track where your local guys are running 13.8 has some altitude compensation factor? I know for a fact that the track at SLC (rocky mountain raceway) is using the NHRA correction factors. It is posted on their website... I also know that since I have raced and beat some local diesel trucks that where supposed to be running faster times than my car. The only thing I have used for measuring the 1/4 mile times is my iPhone dynolicius. When I used to have my tuned 350Z I did compare the dynolicius numbers with my Cobbtuning accessport and they were really close...

Anyway keep that in mind also. My best time so far was 13.92 sec @ 107MPH with a crappy 60' of 2.54 sec. That was bone stock E92 6MT, half tank of 91 octane gas, Stock RFT, on a private road at 5,500ft (GPS measured) I need to do some runs with the PROcede thought....

The whole reason I sold my Z was because forced inducted cars suffers less (power wise) from altitude than natural aspirated ones....

Yuji
__________________
2008 - E92 335i - Space Gray - 6MT - Sport Package,.. ---- NEW
2003 - 350Z - Performance - Modded (Volks, HKS, DC sports, Cobbtuning, etc.) ---- SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
Cornhusker
Lieutenant
15
Rep
403
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nebraska

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yujiyunes View Post
Hey I live in Utah too...at about 5,500 ft. but I'm running PROcede. I'm planning on taking the car to a dyno soon, but the closest dyno is in Salt Lake City which is at a lower altitude (roughly 4,500 ft).

I've got a question for you OP. Do you know if the track where your local guys are running 13.8 has some altitude compensation factor? I know for a fact that the track at SLC (rocky mountain raceway) is using the NHRA correction factors. It is posted on their website... I also know that since I have raced and beat some local diesel trucks that where supposed to be running faster times than my car. The only thing I have used for measuring the 1/4 mile times is my iPhone dynolicius. When I used to have my tuned 350Z I did compare the dynolicius numbers with my Cobbtuning accessport and they were really close...

Anyway keep that in mind also. My best time so far was 13.92 sec @ 107MPH with a crappy 60' of 2.54 sec. That was bone stock E92 6MT, half tank of 91 octane gas, Stock RFT, on a private road at 5,500ft (GPS measured) I need to do some runs with the PROcede thought....

The whole reason I sold my Z was because forced inducted cars suffers less (power wise) from altitude than natural aspirated ones....

Yuji
My best with just procede... I went down to i 80 west and did some vbox runs... i ran a 12.6 @114 was my best with just a tune... at 13psi... i did throw in some race gas.... I did this back in beginning of 07 right when I got the procede and everyone told me my vbox must be off ... no one believed me.... i can also beat my buddy m5 0-120 and no one believed that either back then... but the m5 prob only makes around 430 hp at 5k feet and it's 5 or 600 lbs heavier.

Nowadays, this wouldn't surprise anyone of course.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST