E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i Turbos - Stage 2 now installed and reviewed!!

04-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #375
Aridk
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

Did you run the same boost levels stage 1 and 2?
Aridk is online now   Denmark
      04-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #376
midlife
ocasionally in crisis

Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
I've done multiple trips to the 'Ring - the original Stage 1 turbos were tested with a flash-based tune, and the Stage 2 has been tested predominantly with the Procede. I have also run the Stage 2 turbos on a flashed ECU for about 500 miles but that was only in the running-in procedure.

The auto transmission has held up perfectly on my car. No issues at all, and that's with a huge amount of very hardcore 'Ring driving as other members will testify to. It's worth doing a gearbox oil change though, just to enhance the life of the 'box. I'm also currently working on fabricating a proper metal sump pan with cooling fins to replace the standard plastic sump tray on the gearbox. That'll take a while, perhaps another month, but it'll definitely be worth it.

I think you'll have great results with the RB solution - will be interesting to see how the JB3 works with it as I have no direct experience of that product. I'm a relative Procede newbie as well for that matter!
thanks for your input.
let me say for all us n54 guys out there that it is really incredible how much you pushed that 335 of yours !!
i know you spent mucho $$$$. we are all salivating

my guess is that (with no rob beck hick ups), i will the the RB turbos installed in my car within 6 weeks or so.
i do not think you are a 1/4 mile guy and you probably do not have before and after dynos of your stage 2 turbo setup but:
roughly speaking do you know how much whp you added ?
... or can you subjectively say that you got about 20% more power across the board ??

i will probably mod and push my motor as much as you - but the suspension work you did is incredible.
but due to low clearance issues here in south america - i cannot and will not do any suspension work on my daily driven 335.

lastly: thanks for your info re my VK OC.
if you can get me a part number for a better (interchangeable) serab core i will definitely change out the VK OC core.
... and when my larger turbos are in i will probably add the AR OC as a second OC unit ! i cannot wait for all this.

cheers and have fun you dog !

Last edited by midlife; 04-15-2010 at 11:34 AM.
      04-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #377
midlife
ocasionally in crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
my oil temps dropped maybe 5-10 C. i guess the biggest difference is the rate the temperature increases (slower) and decreases (much faster) . Basically you hold a much steadier and controlled oil temp.
thanks... i will add a second OC unit soon.

and JP: do not push your luck man ! you have bigger turbos and not even the stock OC
      04-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #378
midlife
ocasionally in crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
In my opinion an upgraded Radiator for the water temps is really needed. i will soon get a Beta version from a renowned company. Going to be very interesting and definetely help keep the turbos on the cool side.

keep us posted on this please.
... i think VK is working on a radiator upgrade also. i hope VK use better cores this time though LOL (a la e92fan)
      04-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #379
midlife
ocasionally in crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
thanks Tony, already had contact and they indeed said "easy, no worries, we have this or can order it if needed"
Really looking forward to see the impact of all the mods and to be able to go flat out without having to worry about 140 degrees or more oiltemps.
marcel,

are you changing out your VK OC core as well and using a serab core?
... do you have the part number ??

thanks
      04-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #380
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
marcel,

thanks
yup, my shop received the Setrab core which the will put in the VK bracket. I wanted the best possible cooler and was not willing to take risks. Setrab IMO is on top regarding quality and performance.
As Tony arranged this core for me, I do not have any number unfortunately. Maybe Tony has the invoice lying around with the number on
      04-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #381
E92Fan

Drives: .

Quote:
marcel,

thanks
I supplied Marcel with the Setrab core

I'll get you the STD part number...
E92Fan is offline   United Kingdom
      04-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #382
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel

Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
I'm working on exactly the same thing! Should have the radiator for testing on Monday
That sounds very interesting - it's an option I've been interested for a long time, and as VK Motorwerks doesn't seem to come around with this, I'm all ears!

BTT on the turbo upgrade: I received a lot of questions on the German boards (where I posted the info from TD about the upgrades) about the ability of the HPFP to cope with the upgraded turbos. Do you believe with pushing more than 500hp we're still within limits of the stock HPFP? Considering there's no alternative available presently...

Another question: As we're entering a territory of around 200hp more than stock 335i, do you think that other pistons or piston rods are necessary? I seem to remember you installed the low compression Mahle pistons - do you think that is essential? My garage also thought that with pushing the engine to around 500hp better piston rods should be taken into consideration.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      04-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #383
midlife
ocasionally in crisis

Quote:
I supplied Marcel with the Setrab core

I'll get you the STD part number...
Thanks - will await your part number.
Note that the part number of you competition core would not hurt either.

04-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #384
jpsimon
Team Zissou

Drives: 2015 STi

Quote:
thanks... i will add a second OC unit soon.

and JP: do not push your luck man ! you have bigger turbos and not even the stock OC
oil temps aren't any higher so far, but i'll be keeping an eye on it

jpsimon is offline   United_States
      06-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #385
0-60Motorsports
Major

Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Send a message via AIM to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via MSN to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60Motorsports
Awesome project bro!
Current Mods: GC Coilovers, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SuperSprint V1 Headers + Catless S-pipes + Res Sec 2 + Race Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OME CSL Steering, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, EVOLVE Alpha-N, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ....
0-60Motorsports is offline   Bahrain