E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Ex-Lease/Fleet Cars - Avoid?

04-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
RiCh
Private

Drives:

Ex-Lease/Fleet Cars - Avoid?

Just wanted to ask what everyones opinions on buying an ex lease/fleet hire car are?

I've seen a car on BMW AUC which is 2 years old and still under BMW Warranty. When i called to get more info about it, i was told that it is an ex Accident Exchange car.

I know that Accident Exchange offer people like for like prestige cars in the event of a non fault accident, and usually keep their cars for a couple of years then auction them. The car could have been one of the mangers cars, or a courtesy car (more likely).

The car looks and sounds alright, but since it's quite far away from me, it's not easy to go and have a good look at it.

I'm unsure whether to buy it or not. I intend to keep the car for quite a long time, so i dont want to end up with engine problems etc a couple of years down the line.

The car has full BMW service history etc, so has been well maintained. The only thing thats putting me off is that i wont know how many different drivers its had, and if it has been driven roughly. As we all know some courtesy cars get the ragged to the max.

Has anyone bought a car that was owned by Accident Exchange and had problems with it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rich
      04-28-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
xenon
Brigadier General

Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

If it's an AUC car with warranty that's been fully maintained then I wouldn't worry about it.
xenon is offline   England
      04-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #3
willhollin
Major General

Drives: VW T5

Garage List
The car will have been well exercised that's for sure.
      04-28-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....

Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
There was a thread on here about an ex-accident exchange car a few weeks ago - turned out that the car itself had been in an accident and was not declared by the dealer - the owner wasn't too happy.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ident+exchange

If you have reservations now, walk away from it and find another one - it will always bug you if your not quite happy with it.

I would personally buy and ex-management car or an ex-lease car that has been hired to one person, but not sure I would want a vehicle that has been driven by all and sundry, possibly in a more 'exuberant' manner as the vehicle wasn't theirs. We have all ragged loan car's haven't we??!!
M3-FAST is offline   England
      04-28-2010, 02:53 AM   #5
sheps
Colonel

Drives: C63 AMG

Send a message via MSN to sheps
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
We have all ragged loan car's haven't we??!!
Loan cars are, quite simply, the fastest cars on the planet.

My thoughts echo those already expressed here; buy all means by an ex-management or lease car - my car is a lease car and is looked after like I own it and has every bit of maintenance required, as 99.9% of all lease cars will have.

But a car that has maybe seen 50-100 drivers in 2 years? Avoid, I'd say, it'll be baggier than a fat girls pants.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
sheps is offline   United Kingdom
      04-28-2010, 03:46 AM   #6
RiCh
Private

Drives:

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I'm surprised that the AUC that the forum member bought was a courtesy car that had been in an accident and poorly repaired, which the dealer didnt pick up on

Does AUC actually mean anything these days? It seems that dealers will get the cars in cheap from auctions etc, stick 4k on top and move them on making a nice profit.

I wouldnt mind buying if it was an ex BMW mangement car etc with just one person who has been driving it. I'm not in a rush to buy, so i think i will hold on just yet and see if there is anything else that comes along.
      04-28-2010, 04:33 AM   #7
Skid
First Lieutenant

Drives: It's a Mini Adventure

Garage List
If you are having doubts then it would be best to wait.

There will be plenty more that come along.

My car was a ex-management car, probably someones wife as it only had covered 1300 miles in a year!
11k saving over list price too.
Skid is offline   United Kingdom
      04-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #8
ghosty
Lieutenant

Drives: e92 335d se

Garage List
2008 335d SE  [0.00]
maybe you sort of knew the answer before you asked, your own gut feeling is always a good thing

as said there are/will be plenty more cars out there for you to choose from and if this one gives you a bad feeling then its best to walk away
ghosty is offline   United Kingdom
      04-28-2010, 06:03 AM   #9
E902717
Colonel

Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
I would want a vehicle that has been driven by all and sundry, possibly in a more 'exuberant' manner as the vehicle wasn't theirs. We have all ragged loan car's haven't we??!!
I think everyone thrashes the nuts off them! I've got a mini tomorrow, it won't know what day it is

E902717 is offline   England
      04-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
Carrera RSR
Colonel

Drives: E61 M Sport + 924 Turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
The car will have been well exercised that's for sure.
Not everyone drives like you Will

As with any car, private owned, leased or hired you takes your chances. If you don't like it don't second guess and walk away. Don't assume if someone privately owned it they'ed look after it and vice versa. I've seen some dogs in my time.

My car will be in the market with 70,000+ miles as an ex lease. 95% motorway miles, driven hard but fair. It never had a serious fault, serviced on the nose, new tyres when needed etc. One keeper. Is it one to buy or one to walk away from??

Will may answer that one for you in a few minutes time!!
Carrera RSR is offline   England
      04-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
mjh93sa
Major General

Drives: M135i

Garage List
The Accident Exchange loan car that I had was well exercised. Too much wheelspin out of junctions can confuse the tyre pressure monitor system.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
mjh93sa is offline   England