E90Post

E92-lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > ACCIDENT

04-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #23
Ham09
Second Lieutenant

Drives: A sh*t box

Garage List
2006 335i  [0.00]
Exact same scenario happened with the friend of my dads. Insurance companies ruled in faviour of the biker in this instance. IMO it should be a 50/50 since both parties are to blame however it only went against one persons insurance, the car owner
Ham09 is offline   United Kingdom
      04-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #24
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things

Drives: RS250 CUP

Send a message via MSN to m1bjr
It largely depends upon whether the bike was filtering down slow moving or sationery queues or just belting along over the line (overtaking).

One is acceptable, the other is just simply very risky - "don't overtake at junctions" comments anyone?

And I speak as a biker of many years experience and a car driver covering 2k a week for a living.

As for the NCD, it may be protected but you will still be loaded on the policy premium at renewal time. This is normal procedure

Last edited by m1bjr; 04-28-2010 at 03:10 PM.
m1bjr is offline   United Kingdom
      04-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #25
beemerbird
Major General

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Think those of us who have ridden mototrbikes and now drive 'boxes' have the experience of both sides of the coin. I'm not getting into pointless discussions with people who have never ridden a motorbike seriously. I vehemently stick to my opinion that having ridden a motorbike makes you a better car driver. Forget compared to car enthusiasts (although it will be applicable in part), I'm talking about the 'average' car driver out there, bumbling along in their own little world.........you know the ones.

O/P - With respect if a body shop is Porsche approved that would be good enough for me in all honesty knowing the standards required for a Porsche to be approved by an OPC. Your paintwork will be better than the factory original in all probability.
beemerbird is offline   England
      04-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #26
toxicnerve
Colonel

Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Agree with Helen 100%.

My first post was trying to gauge the situation and clearly others picked up on it. I still have not (simply because I was not there, there am unable to) made a judgement as to who was to blame for this accident but luckily no one was hurt.

However, I would say that whenever I hear of an accident that involves a biker my first thought is "did the driver see them" followed by "were they even looking".

I strongly believe that your average biker is more aware and has a much higher standard of road-craft then your average driver. Why? Because they have to, what would be a small "ding" in your car could cost a biker their life (or worse leave them paralysed).

/rant.

OP, I'm glad everything has turned out ok and as Helen says, a Porka approved bodyshop should be fine
      04-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #27
mowflow
Colonel

Drives: F20 125d

I blame the woman that flashed your wife out. she probably looked in her mirror and spotted the biker before flashing your wife and sitting back to watch the catastrophy that she had cunningly orchestrated unfold before her very eyes. Evil cow.
mowflow is offline   Scotland
      04-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #28
toxicnerve
Colonel

Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
I blame the woman that flashed your wife out. she probably looked in her mirror and spotted the biker before flashing your wife and sitting back to watch the catastrophy that she had cunningly orchestrated unfold before her very eyes. Evil cow.
      05-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #29
zltm089
Major General

Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Bloody bikers!
plus 1 million!!!

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
zltm089 is offline   United Kingdom
      05-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #30
ss134
Brigadier General

Drives: ...a hard bargain...

Sorry to hear of this OP but these things always work themselves out in the end.
ss134 is offline   United Kingdom
      05-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #31
Wh|t3R@bb|t
Private

Drives: BMW 335d M Sport

Oooo, I love a good bikers v's drivers debate. Even if it is slightly off topic....

I must admit, if the car in front has slowed to let someone out and the biker goes around the car and then gets twatted...personally think its the bikers fault. Just because the car in front has stopped/slowed, doesn't mean the biker has the right to decide to go past. We (bikers) have to adhere to the same rules as you do. You wouldn't overtake if you were in a car. And that is sometimes what bikers don't do...they don't ask themselves the "Would i do this in a car" first. Not necessarily in the event of an accident but also in situations regarding road use that could be seen as contentious/dangerous by other road user and the police.

I also don't necessarily believe being a biker makes me a better driver, as I can still drive my car without paying attention or in "auto pilot". Thats the luxury you have when in the caged machines. On a bike you need to concentrate...you need to shift your weight to turn, adjust your hands/grip to indicate, turn your head 5/6 times for each turn to be sure etc etc so you can't "switch off". But in short, being a biker does make me more observant... I check my blindspots way more than any non biker I know. And also am more cautious on junctions etc as to not to creep out...which can be a real pain for bikers and other motorists.

Couple of other points...

1. I recently did a Speed Awareness session for speeding. They had a whole section devoted to Bikes. And how car drivers DO NOT pay attention or naturally check blindspots that bikers can be caught in. Something like 5-9 blindspots in a car all of whic are enough to obscure a biker. They use the Acronym "SMIDSY" to refer to bike accidents. "Sorry Mate I Didn't See You"..... case in point is perhaps relevant. But as I said, does sound like biker fault in this case.

2. If you see a biker in your mirror, often the best thing to do, is nothing! Don't move over, pull to one side or anything. The biker will decide when or if they are going to overtake (or undertake if filtering). Don't force us into rushing something because you have moved over. I always says thanks to drivers if they do, as not saying thanks annoys, but I would have got passed eventually whether you moved or not. I appreciate having a bike up your chuff, dazzling you with a headlight can be annoying but that is the bikers poor riding. Positioning is key, and sitting in someones wing mirror view isn't sensible for all the reasons mentioned above. Namely, damn annoying.

3. Bikers who filter....Hmmmmm! I filter, always have, always will. One of the perks of riding a bike thats about 2 feet across and fits down between gaps. However, I only do this at low speed. Not flat out at silly speeds. But no point getting all annoyed with it. if you stick to my point 2 above, then let them do their own thing. They'll go round you anyway. if its purely jealousy, then pass your test and do it yourself. If ya can't beat em....

Here endeth...
And for weekends: 2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R Ninja

Last edited by Wh|t3R@bb|t; 05-04-2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
Wh|t3R@bb|t is offline   United Kingdom