E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Verdict is in 330d v A5 3.0 Quattro

05-07-2010, 05:16 AM   #23
beemerbird
Major General

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
I think you're both right guys and totally agree with the fact it's nice to be in the fortunate position of having a choice and those choices are available.

There's never any real right or wrong imo, cars are so personal to those of us who have a genuine interest in them. A lot of the fun is test driving them too.

Tbh, I'd get in one and have a good long test drive. Is what I did when choosing the S5 or the M3 (long boring story), I test drove 5 S5's before I found the 'one' though. They were all different! One was so bloody slow, must have been driven by a granny. Didn't particularly like the auto box although I'd every intention of getting a manual, I'd been 'given' an auto for the morning to get an idea about the car. Never owned an Audi before.

I've been surprised by the S5 at what it can do but then we're back to a specific model. Doesn't quite like a quick change of direction above 90 mph through 'S' bends but doesn't 'let go' and carries on gripping (thankfully).
beemerbird is offline   England
      05-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #24
mexicomark
Captain Kirk

Drives: 335D Coupe

Sorry for not mentioning the Original Audi Quattro ( shame on me ) - Deff one of the Greats .
I grew up following Group B and it was one of my favorites .Pity they banned them , they were soooooo entertaining .

My 1st car was a Mk1 Mexico in Modena Green ( wish i still had it ), so i'll let you work out how old i am .

My friend was a sales man in Bavarian , but has moved on to Audi Portadown , so i pretty much get to drive a lot of cars via him .

The benchmark diesel is the 335D , and nothing Audi has ( in a diesel ) comes close .
335D's have even been tested against S5's . In mid range , i think my Beemer is quicker than an S5.
      05-08-2010, 03:13 AM   #25
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicomark View Post
Sorry for not mentioning the Original Audi Quattro ( shame on me ) - Deff one of the Greats .
I grew up following Group B and it was one of my favorites .Pity they banned them , they were soooooo entertaining .

My 1st car was a Mk1 Mexico in Modena Green ( wish i still had it ), so i'll let you work out how old i am .

My friend was a sales man in Bavarian , but has moved on to Audi Portadown , so i pretty much get to drive a lot of cars via him .

The benchmark diesel is the 335D , and nothing Audi has ( in a diesel ) comes close .
335D's have even been tested against S5's . In mid range , i think my Beemer is quicker than an S5.

Standard yes Your right. Standing start though the S5 is quicker.

A re-mapped 335d is quicker than a S5.
      05-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #26
beemerbird
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Lol, ok then as I SAID about the 35d engine already......oh dear!

I've had a 335d so know all about that car, lets just say I know which out of the two I prefer based on many things.

Indeed a 3.0 diesel with twin turbos has more mid range than a N/A V8 petrol engine. No brainer really? Of course bhp gives you ultimate overall power if driven correctly - why else would BMW produce the M3. Torque provides initial acceleration as I'm sure you'll know. Add the two together and you get super-cars like the 997 Turbo and the GT-R of course.

I think what you you need to realise is that on this particular forum the vast majority of members are car enthusiasts and are educated enough and intelligent enough to discuss and debate various marques objectively. Maybe you are doing but it's hard to tell tbh.

As long as you're happy with your car, that's all that matters. I too am more than happy with my current car because it provides much in one package to be fair (apart from fuel economy lol). I don't keep my cars too long as with most women, I get bored quite quickly.

Last edited by beemerbird; 05-08-2010 at 06:30 AM.
      05-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #27
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Garage List
You have had the S5 a while now though Helen eh. Still ticking all the right boxes?
      05-08-2010, 06:41 AM   #28
beemerbird
Major General

Garage List
Oi you saying 7 months is a long time for me Carl. Had the 335d 7 months lol.

Yes, it ticks all the right boxes and have no complaints tbh. I'm with you re. fuel economy, I just drive the car and it does what it does so no way am I going to moan about the mpg of a V8 engine!!

Been looking at R8 V8's out of interest but they're commanding some price second hand! Also spotted a rather tasty looking Cayman S at one of the OPC's which is obviously cheaper than the R8's. The Carrera S is also cheaper than the R8's of the same age hmmm.

Balancing act as we've got to finish the house first.

You ever going to change the 'Big D' you reckon?
      05-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #29
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Garage List
Miswah's father sold a R8 Spider yesterday for 120k. So I'm not getting to drive that one?!

Next one though!

You have already had a Cayman-S eh. Just go for the R8 I say Helen.

I am buying a house, so car plans are all on hold. I fancy though either a 997 C2S or a E92 335i (circa 420HP) or even a M3 if the budget allows at the time.
      05-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #30
Irnbrukid
Major

Drives: RepMobile

What no C63......... or M6.
Irnbrukid is offline   Scotland
      05-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #31
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnbrukid View Post
What no C63......... or M6.
I want the C63 more than all of them. Out of reach at the moment.
      05-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #32
TMP
Colonel

Drives: M135i

Quote:

Shame on you indeed

Indeed the 335d is the diesel benchmark but it is still a diesel - so with a S5 you get the V8 chorus and 7k revs. TBH, this is niggling me a lot at the moment...can a fast diesel be a sports car when it cant deliver on those two points (noise & revs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Oi you saying 7 months is a long time for me Carl. Had the 335d 7 months lol.

Yes, it ticks all the right boxes and have no complaints tbh. I'm with you re. fuel economy, I just drive the car and it does what it does so no way am I going to moan about the mpg of a V8 engine!!

Been looking at R8 V8's out of interest but they're commanding some price second hand! Also spotted a rather tasty looking Cayman S at one of the OPC's which is obviously cheaper than the R8's. The Carrera S is also cheaper than the R8's of the same age hmmm.

Balancing act as we've got to finish the house first.

You ever going to change the 'Big D' you reckon?
Yeap, bloody houses getting in the way of cars

Carrera S....mmm nice. Would be a savage rwd car though - doesnt clarkson say they are always trying to kill you? I reckon you would prefer the R8 - have you driven the V8?
      05-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #33
beemerbird
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Miswah's father sold a R8 Spider yesterday for 120k. So I'm not getting to drive that one?!

Next one though!

You have already had a Cayman-S eh. Just go for the R8 I say Helen.

I am buying a house, so car plans are all on hold. I fancy though either a 997 C2S or a E92 335i (circa 420HP) or even a M3 if the budget allows at the time.
Shame you didn't get a play in that eh.

Yeah, know what you're saying, I still have a soft spot for the Cayman tbh.

Nice choice of cars Carl. But don't worry you've plenty of time to have all three lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Yeap, bloody houses getting in the way of cars

Carrera S....mmm nice. Would be a savage rwd car though - doesnt clarkson say they are always trying to kill you? I reckon you would prefer the R8 - have you driven the V8?
Too true Tim.

I've driven 3 C2S and they're not that bad lol. Enough nanny aids - just bloody winter eh. As you know you've just got to 'flow with a Porsche'.

Not actually driven the R8 V8, only it's 'big brother' - nice!! There's a rather nice V8 at Audi Stafford (great colour combo and good spec. - why are they holding their value so well.