E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Service Engine Soon/ Engine Malfunction Sign

05-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
SROC5
Addicted to Track

Drives: E92 M3

Service Engine Soon/ Engine Malfunction Sign

Hi All-

Need advice.

Situation
Cars starts runs normal as long as it's parked in an enclosed garage. Away from the elements.

I leave my car outside during the day (open parking lot, around 65-70 degrees all-day- no extreme weather, except heavy wind gusting) and when I start the car up at day's end it does a Engine Malfunction rough idle + Service Engine Soon. However, if I restart the car a couple times it's fine to drive and when I get home the Service Engine Soon is gone - so is the Engine Malfunction sign. No problems the next day after parking the car inside enclosed garage.

I've serviced this car about 1.5 months ago for the 13,000 mile check-up and they re-programmed it due to a similar issue with my HPFP. They re-programmed and the car seemed fine for about a month. Now this is happening above more often than not and it's predictable when it happens. When I park the outside. Just weird...

ANYONE have a clue what's going on here?

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
      05-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

I've had a similar experience where unexpectedly my car just stalled in traffic. Try to rationalize it was a fluke, but then it would happen again. Take the car for service and the dealership says cannot duplicate car is working as designed. Bring it in a second time same thing. This BS went on for about 30 times, yes, 30, with the dealership still saying cannot duplicate.

This is for all intents and purposes a 50k car. It should not stall in traffic for any reason unless the driver does not know how to operate a motor vehicle.

The only thing that got any attention was for me to bring the car to the dealership with the SES lamp illuminated. So my advice is the next time it happens, don't wait for an appt. Just go in. When I see Lexus commercials, I laugh to myself imagine if they are only commercials, and in reality, their service is the same as BMW's.