E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > What a bunch of cowboys - First Direct Insurance



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-11-2010, 04:49 AM   #1
Boyd1963
Major
 
Boyd1963's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 320d e92
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bournemouth

Posts: 1,301
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
What a bunch of cowboys - First Direct Insurance

We got a very good quote for insurance renewal for both our cars from our current insurers. However I spotted this advertisement from First Direct

>>We can guarantee to beat your existing car insurance written renewal quote by at least 10%*

Thought that we might as well give them a try so my wife called them.

Cheeky f**kers refused to cover us because my wife is a "Technology Writer". She doesn't commute to work or drive to meet customers just sits at home on the phone in front of her Mac.

She challenged them as she had never been turned down for insurance in 20 years of driving. They denied that the refusal was due to not being able to beat the renewal quote and was all down to her profession.

So next year we are going to have to mention that we have been "refused insurance" when we renew. Great!

Thanks a bunch First Direct. After 20 years I think it's time to vote with my feet.

Last edited by Boyd1963; 06-11-2010 at 05:08 AM.
Boyd1963 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
MEGA
Dieseasal
 
MEGA's Avatar
 
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harrow, London

Posts: 6,839
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
You don't need to bother mentioning that when you renew surely? Due to my car, age and accident history: Whenver I run a comparison website quote I'll get well over half of the companies "refuse to insure" me IE do not offer a quote due to my profile. I've certainly never bothered to mention that when going with one of the ones who DID want to insure me ???
__________________
Previously: 2003 Peugeot 206 1.6 8v | 2006 E90 320d M-Sport, 19" BBS CH, Full Ice-cold JL audio install, August 2010 Total BMW 6 page feature car. | 2003 Nissan 350Z GT Coupe 286BHP
Now:2010 E92 LCI 335d M-Sport
MEGA is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Boyd1963
Major
 
Boyd1963's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 320d e92
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bournemouth

Posts: 1,301
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
You don't need to bother mentioning that when you renew surely? Due to my car, age and accident history: Whenver I run a comparison website quote I'll get well over half of the companies "refuse to insure" me IE do not offer a quote due to my profile. I've certainly never bothered to mention that when going with one of the ones who DID want to insure me ???
Yes I think that you are right as I have had that as well when I use comparison websites.

I just get very paranoid about insurance as I have had very bad experiences with them through no fault of my own. (I wasn't even in the car)

How are things in my old stomping ground (Harrow)? Living there for 15 years made me into the parking maestro that I am today.
Boyd1963 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
MEGA
Dieseasal
 
MEGA's Avatar
 
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harrow, London

Posts: 6,839
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
Harrow is harrow. It hasn't really changed in my life here to be honest! More shops, more sheltered accommodation and more crime, but its a London borough so nothing out of the ordinary there

I'd definitely rather live in Bournemouth. But I work in West London, so its not a bad compromise. Still the second safest borough of London statistically...
__________________
Previously: 2003 Peugeot 206 1.6 8v | 2006 E90 320d M-Sport, 19" BBS CH, Full Ice-cold JL audio install, August 2010 Total BMW 6 page feature car. | 2003 Nissan 350Z GT Coupe 286BHP
Now:2010 E92 LCI 335d M-Sport
MEGA is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Boyd1963
Major
 
Boyd1963's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 320d e92
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bournemouth

Posts: 1,301
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Having lived in Bournemouth for 9 years now I would thoroughly recommend it. Property is very cheap providing that you don't want sea views.

We have great beaches and the countryside is magnificent (New Forest and Isle of Purbeck) Usually there is not too much traffic on the roads especially compared to anywhere in London. I know that it probably doesn't feel that way to people queuing on the M3 on Bank Holidays.

It's has got an undeserved reputation for being full of old people but it's simply not true. There are thousands of students at the university and it's a real party town. To be honest I could live with it being a bit more quiet!
Boyd1963 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
quattrogmbh
Captain
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Location

Posts: 633
iTrader: (0)

You have not had insurance refused or cancelled. They refused to quote based on a risk parameter.

It was an "invitation to treat" you were not obliged to accept any offer that they may have made.

You don't need to disclose this.
quattrogmbh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2010, 03:28 AM   #7
Boyd1963
Major
 
Boyd1963's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 320d e92
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bournemouth

Posts: 1,301
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh View Post
You have not had insurance refused or cancelled. They refused to quote based on a risk parameter.

It was an "invitation to treat" you were not obliged to accept any offer that they may have made.

You don't need to disclose this.
Excellent. So what is the difference between this and having insurance refused?
Boyd1963 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2010, 05:15 AM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,278
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Does that count as refused insurance then?
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
MEGA
Dieseasal
 
MEGA's Avatar
 
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harrow, London

Posts: 6,839
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1963 View Post
Having lived in Bournemouth for 9 years now I would thoroughly recommend it. Property is very cheap providing that you don't want sea views.

We have great beaches and the countryside is magnificent (New Forest and Isle of Purbeck) Usually there is not too much traffic on the roads especially compared to anywhere in London. I know that it probably doesn't feel that way to people queuing on the M3 on Bank Holidays.

It's has got an undeserved reputation for being full of old people but it's simply not true. There are thousands of students at the university and it's a real party town. To be honest I could live with it being a bit more quiet!
I try and get to the isle of purbeck atleast every other year truly stunning down there. Theres a great little B&B just 10mins walk from corfe and you walk through the woods to get there, come out by the castle. It's brilliant. Stay in the B&B but walk into corfe for evening meals and drinks in the pub. Need to take a torch to stagger back home though.

I do love it down there

Somewhat off topic.. lol..
__________________
Previously: 2003 Peugeot 206 1.6 8v | 2006 E90 320d M-Sport, 19" BBS CH, Full Ice-cold JL audio install, August 2010 Total BMW 6 page feature car. | 2003 Nissan 350Z GT Coupe 286BHP
Now:2010 E92 LCI 335d M-Sport
MEGA is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
NFS
Major General
 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 9,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1963 View Post
Excellent. So what is the difference between this and having insurance refused?
If you had a policy which the insurer cancelled or declined to renew it would be considered to be a refusal.

Quattro is right - in this case you simply responded to an advert and found that you were not eligable for a particular service. In that case no offer for an insurance contract was made.
__________________
NFS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST