E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW ASSIST iDrive signal strength?

10-27-2005, 06:44 PM   #1
mapezzul
Special Agent

Drives: Depends on the day!

BMW ASSIST iDrive signal strength?

I just got my car back from the iDrive software update.
I used to have signal bars on the bottom of the screen without the tower, which what I thought was for the BMWASSIST signal strength. This was there without the presence of a Bluetooth phone.
After the update it is NOT there.
Is it supposed to be there or was my car just messed up before?

I am a little worried that the assist is not working if in fact it is supposed to be there.
Since my windows had to be reset when I picked up the car and I wonder if the Assist needed to be done as well.....
My car was on the computer for 14 hours... and I saw the log sheet with all the codes, frightening. I guess it was hooked up to Germany and stuff too. They kept it on the battery charger while doing it so it would not drain it.
All I ended up with was RDS I believe... but it runs a lot faster and the voice commands work!

Thanks in advance since the manuals are WORTHLESS!
mapezzul is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
Username18
Private

Drives: E90 325i

i think bars and tower are for when you have bluetooth connected or are connected to assist. my screen doesnt have them unless i have a phone hooked up(maybe w/ assist too but i havent had to call them yet ). i hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2005, 07:53 PM   #3
sunchild
Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

is the mp3 cd working on your iDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2005, 09:27 PM   #4
mapezzul
Special Agent

NO MP3! :mad: :mad:
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2005, 10:10 PM   #5
Socialworker
New York City Social worker

Drives: 2006 325I

thats not true, MP3 does work on navi with i drive after the update. I also notice that the signal bars are no longer there. I thought it didn't work so i called BMW assist via the car to make sure it still worked. do you notice anything else after the update?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2005, 10:24 PM   #6
mapezzul
Special Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socialworker
thats not true, MP3 does work on navi with i drive after the update. I also notice that the signal bars are no longer there. I thought it didn't work so i called BMW assist via the car to make sure it still worked. do you notice anything else after the update?
How can you possibly say it is untrue when I have my car with the update and no MP3... and no one else has it either on pre-September cars unless I missed something? It is stated a few thousand times here and everywhere else.
I used a disc that works in all of my other devices and other cars and it does not work...
As for the assist, I guess it is the software version. The only other changes are that it is faster, the voice commands work and I now have RDS. Apparently though I have not tried it, voice command can now work in the destination area for the nav.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 05:38 AM   #7
Socialworker

My friend, all i can tell you is that when my wife and got married we made several hundred MP3 CDs with love songs on them. when i first got the e90 in june that cd refused to play. if you check my post, i recently had a flat tire about three weeks ago. once i got the e90 back, my best friend tried to use a mp3 cd to play something, i told it would not work. Guess what? it worked!! i went upstair and got several mp3 cd and they all played. EVEN THAT WEDDING CD

i see your from ny, if you want we can hook up around hunter college and i;ll show you. Please bring your own MP3 CD
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 09:20 AM   #8
HeelToe
Major

Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
2014 X1 2.8i xDrive  [0.00]
2000 323Ci  [3.00]
2006 330i  [4.50]
2013 BMW 135is  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul
... but it runs a lot faster and the voice commands work!...
This is what I'm looking for - the speed is the biggest issue. To me this is worth the update by itself. My voice commands have always worked although the voice recognition was so poor and was compounded with the slow speed making it easier to just dial it up by myself. Couple questions:

1. Is the voice recognition better?
2. Does the voice recognition work faster than before? In other words does it identify your voice command faster?
3. Can you describe how fast the general menu navigation is now. I was recently in an Audi A6 and the navigation is effectively instantaneous. I turn the knob or press the button and the system responded instantly. Is this how the iDrive is now?
HeelToe is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 04:30 PM   #9
Socialworker

voice recognition Sucks on my car, sometimes i think i'm talking in another laguage.
Appreciate 0