E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Why do almost all american prefer balloon style tires and auto-gearbox?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-12-2007, 05:42 AM   #1
Grubbe
Private
 
Drives: 320d
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Why do almost all american prefer balloon style tires and auto-gearbox?

Yeah, how is that? Here in euro just the guys in wheel chairs and the semi retarded ones (the guys who arent allowed to drive a stick in their condition) who stick with the auto and no one likes the ballon-style tires?

I think that U.S has a history of auto-transmissions and the ballon tires comes from the old V8, Corvette, GTO, SS and so on..?

Last edited by Grubbe; 03-12-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Grubbe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 05:47 AM   #2
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
 
SpecC's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Francisco and Davis

Posts: 15,442
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to SpecC
It's just the US. Wer'e quite lazy . No really, we know you have hills and what not too but we prefer automatic transmissions in our cities which are built around mountains or on hills themselves such as San Francisco. Some people also think the semi auto steptronic is the best of both worlds! Performance when you want it, automatic cruising when you don't!

now the tires i don't know anything about
SpecC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 05:53 AM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
 
LEDZEP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

Posts: 12,277
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I'm not quite sure what you mean about balloon tires, unless you just mean "full sized", but from what I see on this forum most American members have 17" 18" or even 19" wheels, which means low profile tires.

As far as the automatic trannys, there are a couple of reasons for that. First, most Americans cannot drive. Americans are also way too busy multitasking and paying attention to everything BUT their driving. Having to clutch and shift would make their tiny heads explode.

For me, it was a matter of practicality and compatibility. Practicality because my driving puts me in heavy stop and go traffic and a manual tranny is a PITA, and also because my wife prefers not to drive a stick.

Whoops, just noticed you said 'ballon' tires. Is that different than 'balloon'. ?
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
LEDZEP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 06:04 AM   #4
Paul330d
Torque junky
 
Paul330d's Avatar
 
Drives: Remapped e90 330d
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: France (UK expat)

Posts: 1,689
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 330d  [0.00]
2005 Fiat Panda 4x4  [0.00]
Grubbe, I don't know if you are trying to be deliberately provocative, but know that as a European, I am delighted with my Steptronic transmission and would happily accept slightly higher profile RFTs if it meant greater comfort.
__________________
www.greenkeepers.fr - spécialiste des tondeuses à gazon hélicoïdales atco qualcast ransomes lawnflite
Paul330d is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
Big Daddy
Enlisted Member
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i soon
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Reno, Nv

Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean about balloon tires, unless you just mean "full sized", but from what I see on this forum most American members have 17" 18" or even 19" wheels, which means low profile tires.

As far as the automatic trannys, there are a couple of reasons for that. First, most Americans cannot drive. Americans are also way too busy multitasking and paying attention to everything BUT their driving. Having to clutch and shift would make their tiny heads explode.
ASSuming far too much eah!!?? i did notice your 3 vehicles have STEP so hopefully your head is still intact.

BD
Big Daddy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 07:36 AM   #6
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
 
canucklion's Avatar
 
Drives: circles around you
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 10,454
iTrader: (9)

yes, Europe owns the world, end of discussion, I guess we can close the thread now knowing that Europeans have the best taste


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubbe View Post
Yeah, how is that? Here in euro just the guys in wheel chairs and the semi retarded ones stick with the auto and no one likes the ballon-style tires?

I think that U.S has a history of auto-transmissions and the ballon tires comes from the old V8, Corvette, GTO, SS and so on..?
__________________
canucklion is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #7
bronco
Colonel
 
bronco's Avatar
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 2,103
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
yes, Europe owns the world, end of discussion, I guess we can close the thread now knowing that Europeans have the best taste
Hahahahha....I love my auto trans. It is perfect for those everyday NASTY bumper to bumper traffics...where I have to travel for about 1h 30min....on the other hand, I love a smooth manual trans. when I am in the mood and when there are no beer drinking red necks slowing my drive
__________________
SaaS - The world of tomorrow is already here...www.saaschronicles.com
bronco is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
Grubbe
Private
 
Drives: 320d
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
yes, Europe owns the world, end of discussion, I guess we can close the thread now knowing that Europeans have the best taste

Hey, dont bash me for asking?

With balloon tires I mean like 265/30/19 on a 19x10", Im leaning more towards 245 or so on a 10" rim.

The auto is just here in Europe. They often drop really much in price when you buy the cars used, its like no one wants to drive them.
Grubbe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 07:55 AM   #9
Grubbe
Private
 
Drives: 320d
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul330d View Post
Grubbe, I don't know if you are trying to be deliberately provocative, but know that as a European, I am delighted with my Steptronic transmission and would happily accept slightly higher profile RFTs if it meant greater comfort.

Yes, there are some people who still buys auto and balloon tires, but i would guess that 95% are Manual transmission, wouldnt you?
Grubbe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #10
Dave_3
Colonel
 
Dave_3's Avatar
 
Drives: F32 430D sDrive Msport
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CH / SCO

Posts: 2,728
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I drive an Auto in Europe, too.

Never thought of trying to park in a disabled parking slot. Wouldn't think the general public or traffic wardens would agree with you that I was a bona-fide "semi-retard in a wheel chair". They'd quite rightly shoot my boots off.

265 verus 245 on 10" wide rims. The 265 or 245 part of the tyre measurement does NOT indicate the "Balloon like" qualities of a tyre. To be more accurate you would need to quote aspect ratio too.

I presume you have healthy teeth ....

And for the record my other car has 185/70 on a 13" rim - 5.5" wide. More thrills and fun in the handling Dept. than a barrel of monkeys.

Having super thin strips of rubber certainly increases outright grip but when up around 10" wide take away a lot of composure, finesse, feel and gentle break-away that make for truely tactile driving. These large widths and 19" and 20" rims are primarily marketing driven. Lotus actually decreased the width of tyres on the latest Elise to improve that delicate, fun and agile feel. Why don't F1 cars run on those thin strips ... ?

D.
__________________
Escort Mk1 RS2000 (2.1 2x44IDFS, BVH, Kent FR32, 5spd, 180 BHP) : Fully Loaded F32 430D M Sport sDrive : Previously Full-Spec 335D E92 2006 : Capri MK1 full rebuild in progress

Dave_3 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #11
Grubbe
Private
 
Drives: 320d
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
I drive an Auto in Europe, too.

Never thought of trying to park in a disabled parking slot. Wouldn't think the general public or traffic wardens would agree with you that I was a bona-fide "semi-retard in a wheel chair". They'd quite rightly shoot my boots off.

265 verus 245 on 10" wide rims. The 265 or 245 part of the tyre measurement does NOT indicate the "Balloon like" qualities of a tyre. To be more accurate you would need to quote aspect ratio too.

I presume you have healthy teeth ....

And for the record my other car has 185/70 on a 13" rim - 5.5" wide. More thrills and fun in the handling Dept. than a barrel of monkeys.

Having super thin strips of rubber certainly increases outright grip but when up around 10" wide take away a lot of composure, finesse, feel and gentle break-away that make for truely tactile driving. These large widths and 19" and 20" rims are primarily marketing driven. Lotus actually decreased the width of tyres on the latest Elise to improve that delicate, fun and agile feel. Why don't F1 cars run on those thin strips ... ?

D.
Great for ou that you think your car is a F1 car. I think that all Bmws are a slow pos-car compared to an F1. Why dont you have that enormous wing on the trunk that the F1 cars have? And why is there more then one seat in our cars? The F1 cars only have one seat?

Its not about handling on theese type of slow cars, most of the people in the US choose balloon tires because they think that it looks good, I choose stretched look because i like the looks of it. Do you understand?
Grubbe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 08:35 AM   #12
spydrz
Lieutenant
 
spydrz's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive35i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: RVA

Posts: 596
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
06 330i  [3.50]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
This sounds like a bunch of ballooney.

__________________
2002 X5 3.0i/man.*
2006 330i/man./Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport
*retired
spydrz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #13
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
 
canucklion's Avatar
 
Drives: circles around you
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 10,454
iTrader: (9)

if you don't want people to bash you for asking questions, then behave the same when asking your question, i.e. not insulting them by calling them wheel-chair bound and semi-retarded, you think that's a reasonable way to ask a question and expect a half-decent response in return?


"hey, why do cheapass Europeans buy manual tramissioned cars? is it because they can't afford gas?"

or

"hey, aside from the performance aspect of it, what's another good reason for you manual drivers that sway you towards driving a manual tranny car? Is it gas economy?"

which question do you think would yield more intelligent discussion????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubbe View Post
Hey, dont bash me for asking?

With balloon tires I mean like 265/30/19 on a 19x10", Im leaning more towards 245 or so on a 10" rim.

The auto is just here in Europe. They often drop really much in price when you buy the cars used, its like no one wants to drive them.
__________________
canucklion is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #14
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: IB/PS M-DCT E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,547
iTrader: (1)

Isn't this completely OT? Its definitely not E90 specific and exactly zero people have balloon tires on an E90.
__________________
2008 Interlagos Blue E93 M3 - FOR SALE - Engine failure at 95k miles.
Best offer takes it: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...1#post16279561
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #15
iatacs19
Major General
 
iatacs19's Avatar
 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 5,206
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
yes, Europe owns the world, end of discussion, I guess we can close the thread now knowing that Europeans have the best taste
iatacs19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #16
Grubbe
Private
 
Drives: 320d
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
if you don't want people to bash you for asking questions, then behave the same when asking your question, i.e. not insulting them by calling them wheel-chair bound and semi-retarded, you think that's a reasonable way to ask a question and expect a half-decent response in return?


"hey, why do cheapass Europeans buy manual tramissioned cars? is it because they can't afford gas?"

or

"hey, aside from the performance aspect of it, what's another good reason for you manual drivers that sway you towards driving a manual tranny car? Is it gas economy?"

which question do you think would yield more intelligent discussion????
I think that europeans buy manual transmissions because there is no history of Autos here.

I have not called anyone a retard, Im just explaining how the situation works over here. If you have a problem with that, well thats your headace, right?
Grubbe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #17
Got-BMW?
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston TX

Posts: 271
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubbe View Post
Hey, dont bash me for asking?

With balloon tires I mean like 265/30/19 on a 19x10", Im leaning more towards 245 or so on a 10" rim.

The auto is just here in Europe. They often drop really much in price when you buy the cars used, its like no one wants to drive them.
You might want to check your tires and/or specs because a 245 on a 10" wide rim isn't going to work well. If you can even get it mounted you are going to have horrible grip because it's stretched so far out. Who cares what it looks like, function is what we are after or at least I am...

For future reference the BALLON look is the profile NOT the width. (For instance 275/55/19 over a 275/30/19 would be more ballon) So you might want to get your facts correct before you try and troll....

Some people sit in traffic for hours at a time EVERY day so driving a manual can get OLD very quick. I love a manual on my track car but for a daily driver, why would you EVER want to buy a manual.... ?!?!
__________________
2007 E90-328i (Sparkling Graphite w/Black Leather & Alum)
ZPP // ZSP // ZCW // 205 // 322 // 417 // 507 // 522 // 4AD
Got-BMW? is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #18
Lassaxi
Major
 
Lassaxi's Avatar
 
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,035
iTrader: (0)

I must admit I've lost the discussion here. Have we deterined what the OP means by "balloon" tires?

As for AT vs. MT, it's just a preference. I CAN drive a MT, and rather well I think. But I prefer an AT, particularly a good AT like the steptronic, because I like the convenience it offers. In my opinion, rowing the gears is a purely recreational experience- fun for people who like it, but by no means a necessity. It can become positively bothersome at times.

Besides, this is 2007, not 1940. "Steptronic" doesn't exactly mean "Hydra-Matic" anymore.
__________________
May 3, '07European Delivery, Redelivered on 6/11/07 - Monaco Blue/Beige, Steptronic, ZPP, ZCW, PDC, iDrive/Navi with RTTI, Logic 7, Xenons, HD Radio
Lassaxi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #19
picus
Brigadier General
 
picus's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 4,176
iTrader: (0)

Why is it people from Sweden feel the need to tell other people how to spend their money? Seems quite arrogant to me.
picus is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 08:54 AM   #20
Dave_3
Colonel
 
Dave_3's Avatar
 
Drives: F32 430D sDrive Msport
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CH / SCO

Posts: 2,728
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubbe View Post
Its not about handling on theese type of slow cars, most of the people in the US choose balloon tires because they think that it looks good, I choose stretched look because i like the looks of it. Do you understand?
Understand completely, you are going with your own personal preference on looks alone with no regards to the actual technical benefits of your choice.

Carry on. You are talking purely about cosmetics. And that is a SUBJECTIVE topic. Do you understand ?

If someone chooses differently to you, then why is their personal preference that of a "semi-retraded invalid" ?

Also, very gracious of you to make such sweeping statements for all us Europeans. Bit presumptuous, wouldn't you say?

D.
__________________
Escort Mk1 RS2000 (2.1 2x44IDFS, BVH, Kent FR32, 5spd, 180 BHP) : Fully Loaded F32 430D M Sport sDrive : Previously Full-Spec 335D E92 2006 : Capri MK1 full rebuild in progress

Dave_3 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #21
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
 
LEDZEP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

Posts: 12,277
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Okay, looks like what he means by balloon tires is extremely large wheels with very low profile tires.

If that's the real question, then here's the real answer:

"It is a current fashion trend, and nothing more." Every generation has to distiguish themselves from their forebears, and it is simply fashionable right now. As soon as it is too mainstream (already happening) you'll start to see something different and equally silly. It's just what people do.
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
LEDZEP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #22
Grubbe
Private
 
Drives: 320d
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
Understand completely, you are going with your own personal preference on looks alone with no regards to the actual technical benefits of your choice.

Carry on. You are talking purely about cosmetics. And that is a SUBJECTIVE topic. Do you understand ?

If someone chooses differently to you, then why is their personal preference that of a "semi-retraded invalid" ?

Also, very gracious of you to make such sweeping statements for all us Europeans. Bit presumptuous, wouldn't you say?

D.

Dont you agree with me on how the situation looks over here in Europe? Thats how it works around here, but yes there are still some folks who prefers auto even if they dont sit in a wheel chair and uses hand-throttle and brake.

One of my best friend sits in a wheel chair and according to him it is very expensive to mount an auto-clutch/brake system for wheel chair guys on a manual car.
Grubbe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST