E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Front LSD



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-14-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
BoostLover99
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Soon to be '07 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Last Sorta Free State Left

Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

Front LSD

I reading a post by an e90 member who'd installed a Quaife or Wavetrac limited slip differential into the front diff of an xi but can't seem to find it any more.

I'm looking for compatibility information, install "gotchas" etc.

Has anyone else done this? The rear LSD installation (welded ring gear scenarios included) is well-documented and I'm comfortable doing it but need a bit of hand-holding for the front.

In *theory* the front LSD install should be easier, right?
BoostLover99 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
orangedawg
3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: WA

Posts: 397
iTrader: (0)

I just removed and re-installed my front diff. Now, I can't tell you anything about likmited slips or installing a different front diff, but maybe I can help you with removing and installing.

IIRC, off the top of my head:
1. Remove belly pan.
2. Remove control arms, tensions struts, and tie rod ends from steering knuckle, and remove sway bar (attached to subframe and to a "rod" on the strut/knuckle).
Now, I'm not sure if you have to totally remove subframe, but I did.
3. Loosen subframe bolts and place a tranny jack or some kind of jack under sub frame.
4. With those bolts a bit loose, see if you can get a wrench on the power steering lines from the pump. Remove the power steering lines from pump (watch out for dripping fluid).
IIRC, another power steering line is attached to the front of the subframe. I can't recall if that needs to be removed or if you disconnect lines at pump if that will take care of that.
5. Unbolt coolant line as it attaches to the front of the subframe (you might want to do this step earlier if you wish).
7. Unbolt steering u-joint from power steering rack.
8. Once most of these parts are unbolted/removed, you can remove subframe. There are six bolts that attach sub-frame to frame. The power steering rack is attached to the subframe. I removed the bolts (2, near the front) attaching rack to sub-frame. Not sure if you can pull subframe with rack on it, but I think you can.
9. Once subframe off, you can get to differential. You will need to get the axles out of differential (the passenger side axle goes through the oil pan to the diff). The differential is attached to the oil pan. To get axles out, I just got two big screwdrivers and put the blade in the "slot" between the diff (driver's side) or oil pan (passengers side). Take the two screwdrivers, and working on one axle at a time, put blade in slot and turn blade. It takes a bit of work but they will all of a sudden pop off (there is a clip inside differential that is on the axle that you are trying to get to "compress" so axle will slide out). It's easier than maybe I described.
10. Pull out axle (watch for dripping fluid). Drain diff.
11. The diff is held on by 4 bolts, I think, to the oil pan. remove rear drive shaft from diff first, then remove diff.
12. You will need to replace the seals and axle clips, plus other seals (although I don't reall any off top of head).

Anyway, that's kind of a quick run-down on what you need to do. Please excuse me if I forgot a step, but I think that's pretty much it. It might seem like a lot, but it's not that hard.
orangedawg is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
itsbrokeagain
157
 
itsbrokeagain's Avatar
 
Drives: E28 535, 1996 Dodge Ram Diesel
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Valley Stream, NY

Posts: 15,737
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to itsbrokeagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostLover99 View Post
I reading a post by an e90 member who'd installed a Quaife or Wavetrac limited slip differential into the front diff of an xi but can't seem to find it any more.

I'm looking for compatibility information, install "gotchas" etc.

Has anyone else done this? The rear LSD installation (welded ring gear scenarios included) is well-documented and I'm comfortable doing it but need a bit of hand-holding for the front.

In *theory* the front LSD install should be easier, right?
i believe the front diff housing is physically smaller. I searched for proof of this myself outside this forum and have yet to find any info of installing an LSD in the front.
__________________
AUTOCouture Motoring: Handling reflector installs to turbo upgrades and superchargers, and everything in between
15-01 Pollitt Drive, Fairlawn NJ 201-666-3500

<-Official Vehicle Transport for AUTOCouture
itsbrokeagain is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
danchee
0
Private
 
Drives: E92 328i xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

Can you actually install LSDs in XI cars? Wouldn't that totally mess up the computers?
danchee is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
BoostLover99
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Soon to be '07 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Last Sorta Free State Left

Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedawg View Post
I just removed and re-installed my front diff. Now, I can't tell you anything about likmited slips or installing a different front diff, but maybe I can help you with removing and installing.

IIRC, off the top of my head:
1. Remove belly pan.
2. Remove control arms, tensions struts, and tie rod ends from steering knuckle, and remove sway bar (attached to subframe and to a "rod" on the strut/knuckle).
Now, I'm not sure if you have to totally remove subframe, but I did.
3. Loosen subframe bolts and place a tranny jack or some kind of jack under sub frame.
4. With those bolts a bit loose, see if you can get a wrench on the power steering lines from the pump. Remove the power steering lines from pump (watch out for dripping fluid).
IIRC, another power steering line is attached to the front of the subframe. I can't recall if that needs to be removed or if you disconnect lines at pump if that will take care of that.
5. Unbolt coolant line as it attaches to the front of the subframe (you might want to do this step earlier if you wish).
7. Unbolt steering u-joint from power steering rack.
8. Once most of these parts are unbolted/removed, you can remove subframe. There are six bolts that attach sub-frame to frame. The power steering rack is attached to the subframe. I removed the bolts (2, near the front) attaching rack to sub-frame. Not sure if you can pull subframe with rack on it, but I think you can.
9. Once subframe off, you can get to differential. You will need to get the axles out of differential (the passenger side axle goes through the oil pan to the diff). The differential is attached to the oil pan. To get axles out, I just got two big screwdrivers and put the blade in the "slot" between the diff (driver's side) or oil pan (passengers side). Take the two screwdrivers, and working on one axle at a time, put blade in slot and turn blade. It takes a bit of work but they will all of a sudden pop off (there is a clip inside differential that is on the axle that you are trying to get to "compress" so axle will slide out). It's easier than maybe I described.
10. Pull out axle (watch for dripping fluid). Drain diff.
11. The diff is held on by 4 bolts, I think, to the oil pan. remove rear drive shaft from diff first, then remove diff.
12. You will need to replace the seals and axle clips, plus other seals (although I don't reall any off top of head).

Anyway, that's kind of a quick run-down on what you need to do. Please excuse me if I forgot a step, but I think that's pretty much it. It might seem like a lot, but it's not that hard.
Awesome - mega thanks!!
BoostLover99 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
BoostLover99
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Soon to be '07 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Last Sorta Free State Left

Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
i believe the front diff housing is physically smaller. I searched for proof of this myself outside this forum and have yet to find any info of installing an LSD in the front.
That would be bad. I guess I'll find out!
BoostLover99 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
BoostLover99
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Soon to be '07 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Last Sorta Free State Left

Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
Can you actually install LSDs in XI cars? Wouldn't that totally mess up the computers?
People have done the rear w/o issues. We'll find out if front & rear gives us any issues.

I miss the Evo's AWD but not the NVH (noise, vibration, harshness)
BoostLover99 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
808AWD325xi
6
Ballin' out of control.
 
808AWD325xi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fremont, CA

Posts: 634
iTrader: (0)

This poster was thinking about replacing the front diff...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...95&postcount=7
808AWD325xi is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2010, 03:00 AM   #9
BoostLover99
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Soon to be '07 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Last Sorta Free State Left

Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808AWD325xi View Post
This poster was thinking about replacing the front diff...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...95&postcount=7
Thanks for finding this - I've been looking for this thread.
BoostLover99 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
808AWD325xi
6
Ballin' out of control.
 
808AWD325xi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fremont, CA

Posts: 634
iTrader: (0)

Your welcome.
808AWD325xi is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
front, limited slip differential, lsd

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST