E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: 335i Exhaust Sound Mod. Better, and even easier than golf tee mod.



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Revlis's Avatar DIY: 335i Exhaust Sound Mod. Better, and even easier than golf tee mod.
Revlis
08-28-2007
OK I know I am not the first to do this, someone had to clue me in, but instead of plugging, crimping, or otherwise disconnecting the vacuum line under the car, just unplug the actuator in the trunk in front of the drivers side tail light. I was a little unclear as to how this works, but it's dead...
  #352  
By **335i** on 07-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
guys do zip tie no error codes instead of disconecting that thing
Reply With Quote
  #353  
By shockin330i on 07-31-2010, 12:36 PM
an after market exhaust would probably throw a code too since you remove all the hardware. Don't see what the difference is really. And I'd rather be "childish" than spend 1.5k on an exhaust...
Reply With Quote
  #354  
By **335i** on 07-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
an after market exhaust would probably throw a code too since you remove all the hardware. Don't see what the difference is really. And I'd rather be "childish" than spend 1.5k on an exhaust...
well spending on a good aftermarket exhaust is not childish actually
Reply With Quote
  #355  
By kdiz on 07-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by **335i** View Post
well spending on a good aftermarket exhaust is not childish actually
He didn't say it was?
Reply With Quote
  #356  
By **335i** on 08-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
okay
Reply With Quote
  #357  
By floot_roops on 08-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
10,000 miles with the actuator unplugged. No issues.
Took the car in for its first service appointment two days ago. No issues.
Checked the plug after the service appointment. Still unplugged.

How'd mine get unplugged in the first place? I was talking with an SA at a dealership and discussing how I wished my new car sounded "throatier" as I had gotten used to my old WRX with aftermarket turboback exhaust (loud as sin). He replied, "oh, you haven't unplugged the exhaust flapper yet?" and flipped up my trunk, popped the panel, and yanked the cord, buttoned it up and dropped the trunk... all in about 10 seconds while I was anxiously trying to see what he was doing lest anything happen to my new baby.

So... yeah, there may be risks of it throwing codes, but there are certainly dealerships out there who don't care if it's being done (as evidenced by many people not having anything noted or corrected on service visits), and there are dealerships that will apparently do it for you.

Many of us came from other turbo machines. It does not make sense for this to cause any harm or to cause issues with warranty. We'll take our chances.
Reply With Quote
  #358  
By rish197 on 08-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Thank You!!!
Reply With Quote
  #359  
By **335i** on 08-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by floot_roops View Post
10,000 miles with the actuator unplugged. No issues.
Took the car in for its first service appointment two days ago. No issues.
Checked the plug after the service appointment. Still unplugged.

How'd mine get unplugged in the first place? I was talking with an SA at a dealership and discussing how I wished my new car sounded "throatier" as I had gotten used to my old WRX with aftermarket turboback exhaust (loud as sin). He replied, "oh, you haven't unplugged the exhaust flapper yet?" and flipped up my trunk, popped the panel, and yanked the cord, buttoned it up and dropped the trunk... all in about 10 seconds while I was anxiously trying to see what he was doing lest anything happen to my new baby.

So... yeah, there may be risks of it throwing codes, but there are certainly dealerships out there who don't care if it's being done (as evidenced by many people not having anything noted or corrected on service visits), and there are dealerships that will apparently do it for you.

Many of us came from other turbo machines. It does not make sense for this to cause any harm or to cause issues with warranty. We'll take our chances.
its not big difference if u drive with or without it
Reply With Quote
  #360  
By dr.zed on 08-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Guys the Vettes had this as an option on the LS2 to give it an extra 6 HP (430 to 436). Also the Z06 has this exact same setup. I haven't heard any ill effects of driving it open all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #361  
By **335i** on 08-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.zed View Post
Guys the Vettes had this as an option on the LS2 to give it an extra 6 HP (430 to 436). Also the Z06 has this exact same setup. I haven't heard any ill effects of driving it open all the time.
do u say that with unpluged u get more hp
Reply With Quote
  #362  
By skim7x on 09-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
My issue...

My issue is not that I want a lounder sound or anything... I'm sure it's not THAT different, but I have this annoying rattling from that exhaust valve and it makes my car sound like shit... so I figure if I disconnect the valve, it won't rattle anymore... I might give it a try today... just worried that the stealership might give me a hard time for the rattling...

If I plug it back in before service, though, they probably can't say anything, right? No evidence of tampering... :shrug:
Reply With Quote
  #363  
By skim7x on 09-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Ok wow yeah the mod definitely makes a difference in the sound output of the exhaust. It also did successfully stop my valve from rattling.
Reply With Quote
  #364  
By **335i** on 09-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
go to bmw dealer and ask them to disconect it for you
Reply With Quote
  #365  
By skim7x on 09-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by **335i** View Post
go to bmw dealer and ask them to disconect it for you
y?
Reply With Quote
  #366  
By **335i** on 09-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
y?
i said commonly not to u skim so i think that bmw dealer can do it also
Reply With Quote
  #367  
By dimisa1977 on 09-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
still the best, most amazing trick around!
Reply With Quote
  #368  
By JhnR on 09-20-2010, 10:27 AM
sounds so much better then stock. especially with a tune like Jb3 =)
Reply With Quote
  #369  
By jonas9000 on 09-21-2010, 02:31 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
** Warning ** this does cause fault codes to show up. Tested on multiple cars and triggered a fault code on all of them. Just clear it before you go in for service.
How do you clear the code ? DIY ?
Reply With Quote
  #370  
By T Bimmer on 09-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimisa1977 View Post
still the best, most amazing trick around!
yeah it, is my buddy did mines and it sounds better, not that laoud.
Reply With Quote
  #371  
By jmkworld on 09-26-2010, 01:03 PM
does anyone know how to do it for an 2011 335
Reply With Quote
  #372  
By jonas9000 on 09-27-2010, 02:19 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Exclamation

What does the actuator do ? Is it for take away sound, or for pollution ? Or what ?
Reply With Quote
  #373  
By **335i** on 09-27-2010, 02:28 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas9000 View Post
What does the actuator do ? Is it for take away sound, or for pollution ? Or what ?
its not only for sound, its also for make pressure
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST