E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Laser Interceptor/ Laser Jammer install



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  DIY: Laser Interceptor/ Laser Jammer install
calvino
07-19-2008
DIY difficulty scale from 1-10: 7
Time required: about 2-3 hours.
Tools: zip ties, screw driver, quick connects, trox driver, scissors, drill.
Installation was done in a e90. Installation on a e92 should be almost the same.
Please excuse me if I made any grammar...
  #66  
By Lotus99 on 08-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
I just quick mounted them in the yellow areas which is right up against my front plate holder. I will probably move them to the red areas in the next few weeks and then head to one of the testing meets after that. On these cars it is really a compromise on the front.

I do not want to put them in the grilles and/or vertically.
I take it you'll put them on the outside of the mesh?

As far as behind the grill goes, there's debate as to whether they are supposed to be horizontal or vertical is ok. I assume you don't want to put them vertical for that reason? Assuming they must be horizontal, are you not putting them there because the slats will partially block the laser transmitter?

Is there any disadvantage putting them in the red areas compared to the grill locations?
Reply With Quote
  #67  
By stikya on 08-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
4
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
80%80%80%
4
Average 73%
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
I just quick mounted them in the yellow areas which is right up against my front plate holder. I will probably move them to the red areas in the next few weeks and then head to one of the testing meets after that. On these cars it is really a compromise on the front. I do not want to put them in the grilles and/or vertically.

I did get 2 laser encounters where they are right now, pro laser III. pro laser III guns are known to be easy to jam and they are used almost exclusively where I drive.
nice install on the back! I'm aiming to do that this fall when it cools down.

Also, I would definitely recommend moving to the red area for the front sensors. This will provide better protection to headlight corners, as you come around a corner. With the black grill and no plate, you needn't worry about being as vulnerable in the middle.

Nice installs!
Reply With Quote
  #68  
By stikya on 08-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
4
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
80%80%80%
4
Average 73%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I take it you'll put them on the outside of the mesh?

As far as behind the grill goes, there's debate as to whether they are supposed to be horizontal or vertical is ok. I assume you don't want to put them vertical for that reason? Assuming they must be horizontal, are you not putting them there because the slats will partially block the laser transmitter?

Is there any disadvantage putting them in the red areas compared to the grill locations?
Yes. This is the only area on the car that is 24" or less from both the center of the grill and the corner of the headlights. Much better headlight protection in the red (edit) location.

the depth available in the red location will have the sensor protrude past the vertical slats just slightly. So, there will be no problem with the slats blocking the sensors.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
By Lotus99 on 08-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikya View Post
the depth available in the red location will have the sensor protrude past the vertical slats just slightly. So, there will be no problem with the slats blocking the sensors.
I'm confused. The red location has no vertical slats? I was wondering if the heads would be in front or behind the mesh in the red locations.

The only vertical slats I am aware of are the ones in the two kidney grills?
Reply With Quote
  #70  
By scottp999 on 08-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I'm confused. The red location has no vertical slats? I was wondering if the heads would be in front or behind the mesh in the red locations.

The only vertical slats I am aware of are the ones in the two kidney grills?
Definitley in the red location, in front of the mesh is where I will end up putting them.

I think he is talking about the veritcal part of the aero lip. Because of the angle, the heads will be protruding slighlty (looking top down). The further out they are the better for more angled shots.

My encounters with laser have always been with the gun head on, and on a long flat part of the road, so I have not seen a situation where low mount will hurt too much.

The manufacturer says not to mount the heads behind anything, so I'm really not too keen on mounting behind the grill. Veritcal they say is ok, but the slats in the grill are not perpendicular to the road, so I don't know what that will do to the laser coverage being emitted from the laser diode in the head, and it's ability to jam the gun. Only one way to find out is testing.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
By Lotus99 on 08-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Hi, first of all, which system did you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
I think he is talking about the veritcal part of the aero lip. Because of the angle, the heads will be protruding slighlty (looking top down). The further out they are the better for more angled shots.
Gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
My encounters with laser have always been with the gun head on, and on a long flat part of the road, so I have not seen a situation where low mount will hurt too much.
You ever been hit from behind? IIRC, kits come with two heads, and you buy extra heads individually. So would one be enough in the rear or might as well do two or nothing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
The manufacturer says not to mount the heads behind anything, so I'm really not too keen on mounting behind the grill. Veritcal they say is ok, but the slats in the grill are not perpendicular to the road, so I don't know what that will do to the laser coverage being emitted from the laser diode in the head, and it's ability to jam the gun. Only one way to find out is testing.
Why does it matter if the slats aren't perpendicular to the road? The head should fit in between the slats, where you can angle it how you'd like, the way tambourine did?

Reply With Quote
  #72  
By scottp999 on 08-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
1) Laser Interceptor Version 8 (8.02 CPU and 8.8 heads). At first I bought a dual for front only, but then I ordered the 2 for the rear heads.

2) Never hit from behind that I am aware of. It's a tactic used a lot in CA, but spreading to other states. The police will sit on an on-ramp to the highway and shoot the rear of cars passing by. They will also shoot the rear of cars from an overpass and have a chase car on an on-ramp. The Escort ZR4 system has one rear head, other manufacturers have 2 rear heads and do not recommend a single rear head. The escort ZR4 is known to be a weaker jammer in real life testing results.

3) The laser emitting diode (Laser Interceptior uses a Diode) has a spread that is based on being level and parralel to the road. The manuafacturer states a horizontal install is the best way to mount the sensors.

From the USA distributor - "The Laser Diode in the LI has a shape to the beam, rectangular and horizontal, from left to right so it is best to keep the shape as designed to cover the roadway down range at the LIDAR source."

from: http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...l=1#post761877

By mounting vertical you are losing coverage to shoot laser back at the laser gun and disrupt the guns ability to display a speed.

If you buy the LI Hi power version (much more expensive) there is a second transmitting diode in the sensor head, and it goes vertically. The High power heads would be better for mounting vertically because they shoot out a rectangular shape both horizontally and vertically.

If you mount heads at weird angles the path of the laser being emitted is changed and your results will be worse according to people who own the guns and have done extensive testing.

The Laser Interceptor User Manual can be downloaded here: http://www.laser-interceptorusa.com/...ser-Manual.pdf
Last edited by scottp999; 08-18-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
By Lotus99 on 08-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Cool. The LI system I've read about as being good. The Laser Pro Park dealer is somewhat close to me, and I was considering going with them, as a friend who's got it, is happy with it. Did you research them too before buying? What did you think?

Do you know if the LPP system uses diodes too? Or LED's? Read that diodes are better because they're more powerful...

I came across this link also discussing vertical vs. horizontal mounting on the LPP forum basically saying vertical worked when they tested it, but for worst case scenarios, it could leave some gaps:

http://www.kmph.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=679
Reply With Quote
  #74  
By scottp999 on 08-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Cool. The LI system I've read about as being good. The Laser Pro Park dealer is somewhat close to me, and I was considering going with them, as a friend who's got it, is happy with it. Did you research them too before buying? What did you think?

Do you know if the LPP system uses diodes too? Or LED's? Read that diodes are better because they're more powerful...

I came across this link also discussing vertical vs. horizontal mounting on the LPP forum basically saying vertical worked when they tested it, but for worst case scenarios, it could leave some gaps:

http://www.kmph.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=679
Laser Park Pro and Laser Interceptor are considered the best systems and they both use diodes. I know the Laser Interceptor is connectable to your PC for firmware upgrades. If a new gun comes out, they will figure out how to jam it, and you just load the new firmware. I'm not sure how you update the Laser Park Pro. You should register at radardetector.net. They have several forums on laser jamming, testing meets, how to install, head placement advice, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
By stikya on 08-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
4
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
80%80%80%
4
Average 73%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I'm confused. The red location has no vertical slats? I was wondering if the heads would be in front or behind the mesh in the red locations.

The only vertical slats I am aware of are the ones in the two kidney grills?
if you look at each red mounting location, there is a vertical bumper slat right next to it. They Separate the lower bumper into 3 segments. If one were to cut the mesh or mount behind it, they would be an issue. But, if you mount outside the mesh, the jammer head will stick out just past this little vertical slat.

I may have mis-read the question initially, but still a valid concern to be aware of and address.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
By Lotus99 on 08-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Gotcha, thanks, I understand what you were saying now.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
By Mk23 on 01-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
1) Laser Interceptor Version 8 (8.02 CPU and 8.8 heads). At first I bought a dual for front only, but then I ordered the 2 for the rear heads.

2) Never hit from behind that I am aware of. It's a tactic used a lot in CA, but spreading to other states. The police will sit on an on-ramp to the highway and shoot the rear of cars passing by. They will also shoot the rear of cars from an overpass and have a chase car on an on-ramp. The Escort ZR4 system has one rear head, other manufacturers have 2 rear heads and do not recommend a single rear head. The escort ZR4 is known to be a weaker jammer in real life testing results.

3) The laser emitting diode (Laser Interceptior uses a Diode) has a spread that is based on being level and parralel to the road. The manuafacturer states a horizontal install is the best way to mount the sensors.

From the USA distributor - "The Laser Diode in the LI has a shape to the beam, rectangular and horizontal, from left to right so it is best to keep the shape as designed to cover the roadway down range at the LIDAR source."

from: http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...l=1#post761877

By mounting vertical you are losing coverage to shoot laser back at the laser gun and disrupt the guns ability to display a speed.

If you buy the LI Hi power version (much more expensive) there is a second transmitting diode in the sensor head, and it goes vertically. The High power heads would be better for mounting vertically because they shoot out a rectangular shape both horizontally and vertically.

If you mount heads at weird angles the path of the laser being emitted is changed and your results will be worse according to people who own the guns and have done extensive testing.

The Laser Interceptor User Manual can be downloaded here: http://www.laser-interceptorusa.com/...ser-Manual.pdf
Thank you for putting up the links. I'm amazed by how many people here could care less about proper mounting and jamming power and just seem to only care bout how it looks.

Hopefully more people will see our posts and realize how horrible some of these mounting positions are.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
By Budge on 03-28-2011, 05:23 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Can I wire the into the Bluetooth speaker?

Can I send the audio from the LI control module into my Bluetooth speaker? This seems like the easiest solution, but I don't know if that will mess up the bluetooth module or blow the speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
By DUI Elite on 04-06-2011, 05:07 PM
How do you reinstall the steptronic trim panel? I can't get mine to "fasten" into place. Is there an order for which side to fit in first?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
By substyle on 09-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 73%
Anyone still reading this thread?
I have followed this DIY and made it as far as removing the boot cover to get power to the CPU. I have a 2009 335i and I my cigarette lighters are one inside the arm rest console and one in the passenger footwell. I do not see the wires described in this DIY. Anyone that has installed in a later model e90 know what I do next? Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #81  
By Budge on 09-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by substyle View Post
Anyone still reading this thread?
I have followed this DIY and made it as far as removing the boot cover to get power to the CPU. I have a 2009 335i and I my cigarette lighters are one inside the arm rest console and one in the passenger footwell. I do not see the wires described in this DIY. Anyone that has installed in a later model e90 know what I do next? Thank you
I just brought power from the fuse box on the passenger side over to the driver side. It was easy because I had to take out the glove box for another project that I did at the same time. If you take the back panel out of your glove box, you can use a coat hanger blunted with tape to run a wire behind the center console. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
By lotusj on 10-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Very helpful

Great post! very helpful
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
By Fundguy1 on 09-19-2014, 11:20 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I mounted mine vertically between the outermost fins in the kidney grille. Can't see them without close inspection and I have been blasted too many times to count with laser and never once read. Works perfect. Police look like they ate a cat after they laser me and look at their read outs. 200,000 miles with them. Not one laser ticket.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
By Lotus99 on 09-20-2014, 01:31 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
I mounted mine vertically between the outermost fins in the kidney grille. Can't see them without close inspection and I have been blasted too many times to count with laser and never once read. Works perfect. Police look like they ate a cat after they laser me and look at their read outs. 200,000 miles with them. Not one laser ticket.
Good to hear a real life example of the vertical install working fine. I've read in most places and the shop I was going to get mine installed at, that they must be horizontal to work.

Wonder what the mfr of the jammers would say if asked for an official response? Has anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #85  
By Fundguy1 on 09-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Good to hear a real life example of the vertical install working fine. I've read in most places and the shop I was going to get mine installed at, that they must be horizontal to work.

Wonder what the mfr of the jammers would say if asked for an official response? Has anyone?
From what I recall in the directions vertical or horizontal was fine as per the manufacturer. I've been lasered at least 30 times doing 16+ over and never nailed. Once 35 over. They were pissed but couldn't do anything.
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST