E90Post
 


Bimmertech
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > DIY: Ultimate amplifier wiring guide



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-20-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
etik
Private First Class
 
etik's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320D
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Belgium

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

Lightbulb DIY: Ultimate amplifier wiring guide

Here after, you will find the list of all cables (main color/stripe color) that are used by both Hifi and Logic7 option. In case you would like to tap into the wire to add an extra amp or upgrade the existing one.

HIFI

Radio to Amplifier
FRONT LEFT
Yellow/Red +
Brown/Gold -
FRONT RIGHT
Blue/Red +
Brown/Gold -
REAR LEFT
Yellow/Black +
Brown/Gold -
REAR RIGHT
Blue/Black +
Brown/Gold -

Amplifier to Speakers
SUB LEFT
Red/White +
Brown/Yellow -
SUB RIGHT
Red/Blue +
Brown/White -
FRONT LEFT
Blue/White +
Blue/Brown -
FRONT RIGHT
Blue/Black +
Blue/Brown -
REAR LEFT
Yellow/Red +
Yellow/Brown -
REAR RIGHT
Blue/Green +
Blue/Brown -

LOGIC7 - Amplifier to Speakers

SUB LEFT
Red/White +
Brown/Yellow -
SUB RIGHT
Red/Blue +
Brown/White -
FRONT LEFT
Blue/White +
Blue/Brown -
FRONT RIGHT
Blue/Black +
Blue/Brown -
REAR LEFT
Yellow/Red +
Yellow/Brown -
REAR RIGHT
Blue/Green +
Blue/Brown -
CENTER
Black/White +
Black/Brown -
REAR LEFT WOOFER
Yellow/Red +
Yellow/Brown -
REAR RIGHT WOOFER
Blue/Green +
Blue/Brown -

I translated the above from the German abreviation found in the wiring diagrams, If you find some errors please let me know.

Wiring diagram's
Hifi
Logic7

Have FUN !

Last edited by etik; 03-26-2007 at 07:28 AM.
etik is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
boggysv
Private First Class
 
Drives: A4, but riding the bus for now
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, KL

Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)

does this mean that the HIFI system does not have a optical feed to the amp?

I'm confused now
boggysv is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
etik
Private First Class
 
etik's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320D
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Belgium

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggysv View Post
does this mean that the HIFI system does not have a optical feed to the amp?

I'm confused now
Correct, what is so called "HIFI" option in Europe is cable connected from radio to amp.

Logic 7 is fiber connected.
etik is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
KL2DC
Moderator
 
KL2DC's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DC Metro

Posts: 17,751
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to KL2DC
I don't understand any of that but I assume its a nice find

I vote to add this to the DIY master list...
__________________

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
KL2DC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
sesegal99
Captain
 
sesegal99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 328I Coupe Sport
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ

Posts: 667
iTrader: (1)

Me either....looks cool. Glad I got the Logic 7..... I think...
__________________
2009 328i Coupe Space Grey w/ Dakota LeatherSTEP, Sport Pkg. w Paddle Shifters, Prem. Pkg., Comfort Access, Grey Popler Trim, Heated Seats, Shadowline Trim, Xenon Adaptive Lights, GP Thunder Fogs, GP Thunder Angels, RE15mm Spacers, 35% Tint,OEM Alarm, Clear Corners, K&N, Strut Brace
sesegal99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
boggysv
Private First Class
 
Drives: A4, but riding the bus for now
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, KL

Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etik View Post
Correct, what is so called "HIFI" option in Europe is cable connected from radio to amp.

Logic 7 is fiber connected.
So, regardless of i-drive, the european hifi option has line cables (not fiber)?
Or does your list only apply to non-idrive cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
First, if you have iDrive there's no question it's MOST.

If you have a MID, I believe you also have MOST.

If you have the basic radio, you don't have most.

Based on the above, all U.S.-bound vehicles have MOST.
boggysv is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
etik
Private First Class
 
etik's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320D
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Belgium

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

The only thing I can be sure of is my car.

My car has no idrive with hifi option / business head unit (mp3) and that is cable connected for the European version.

Now depending on your option/location this will vary.
(eg. European HIFI option is standard in U.S., etc...)

If you want to be sure, go to your trunk remove the amp cover and do a visual check. I think that the only way to know for sure.
etik is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Major
 
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!'s Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E90 330, 15 AY F82 M4TMFW
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: L.I, NY

Posts: 1,248
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [5.00]
badass! i cant tell u how many times i have seen this question come up!
__________________



LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!! is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 05:40 PM   #9
M335i
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 626

Posts: 169
iTrader: (5)

sticky this shiet
M335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #10
psychoactive
Banned
 
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego

Posts: 192
iTrader: (0)

Thanks a lot this is very useful!
psychoactive is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2007, 08:25 AM   #11
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somewhere

Posts: 467
iTrader: (2)

maybe i missed it somewhere else... but....

In tearing apart my e92 335 with logic 7 ... I found only normal wires going in/out of the amp in the back left corner. I also found another box, on the floor of the trunk, more on the right side, near the back seats.... That seemed to have 3 digital inputs and a bunch of wires coming off of it that head, perhaps, over to the amp ?

is it possible that I might be able to tap into those wires off that box and just wire them up to normal RCA plugs for my amp ? or is the level way off ? or is that box totally unrelated ?

oh yea.. side note.. back there under the floor, there is also a little plastic rectangle thing with just green and white wires running to it... anyone know what that is ???

I can post part numbers or pictures later, but i'm late for work now, so figured I'd try a quick description first

thanks
inthemiddle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
 
tintivilus's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lake County, IL

Posts: 1,826
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to tintivilus
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
maybe i missed it somewhere else... but....

In tearing apart my e92 335 with logic 7 ... I found only normal wires going in/out of the amp in the back left corner. I also found another box, on the floor of the trunk, more on the right side, near the back seats.... That seemed to have 3 digital inputs and a bunch of wires coming off of it that head, perhaps, over to the amp ?

is it possible that I might be able to tap into those wires off that box and just wire them up to normal RCA plugs for my amp ? or is the level way off ? or is that box totally unrelated ?

oh yea.. side note.. back there under the floor, there is also a little plastic rectangle thing with just green and white wires running to it... anyone know what that is ???

I can post part numbers or pictures later, but i'm late for work now, so figured I'd try a quick description first

thanks
Yeah, I think this has been covered elsewhere. Logic7 has fiber between the amp and head regardless of whether or not you have iDrive. The amp outputs are (obviously) speaker-level.

The bit box under your floor is the TCU. That handles bluetooth and BMW Assist; there's no music in it. The open space to the left (driver's side) of the TCU is for the optional Sirius receiver.

I'm not sure what your other box might be; pics would help.
tintivilus is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #13
khafner
Private First Class
 
Drives: e90 330i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: fulton, ny

Posts: 103
iTrader: (0)

stereo wiring and options

there is an excellent review of this on the e39 5 series at www.bmwtips.com.
Several professional's who make their living designing sound systems have taken the system apart and explore all the options. It is a great primer. A good start is this: http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/s...les/wiring.htm.
The wiring diagrams as presented on the e90 website are great but they lack many of the wire pairs - each speaker has its own pair of wires. Each door gets four wires - tweet and mid. 9 speakers are listed four are missing. Keep the pairs together I do not believe that bmw uses a common ground.
khafner is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #14
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somewhere

Posts: 467
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintivilus View Post
Yeah, I think this has been covered elsewhere. Logic7 has fiber between the amp and head regardless of whether or not you have iDrive. The amp outputs are (obviously) speaker-level.

The bit box under your floor is the TCU. That handles bluetooth and BMW Assist; there's no music in it. The open space to the left (driver's side) of the TCU is for the optional Sirius receiver.

I'm not sure what your other box might be; pics would help.

The other little box is more like a little plastic rectangle, i've been lazy with pictures.. but good news.... I found a wire to use for remote turn on for the amp, I think....

That TCU box, once I finally gave up looking for these non-existant black and white wires by the amp everyone else was talking about (I have an e92 with idrive) .. I started checking pins on the TCU box (btw, when you unplug it when the radio is on, at least using the ipod input, the radio stops playing the ipod... it just pauses) .. anyway... as you unplug the plug from the box, leaving the plug facing the back of the car in its original orientation, the 4th pin from the right on the top row seems to switch on and off with 'the key'

2nd from the right is +12 all the time, you don't want that, go 4th from the right... I can't say which color wire it is at this point cause i was doing it in the dark in a parking garage at lunch....

Anyone used this ? or see any reason not to use this for a remote turn on for an amp ?

can't wait to finally get home tonight and hook up my amp and sub and FINALLY put the back of my car back together
inthemiddle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2007, 07:39 PM   #15
installmd
Private
 
Drives: 2006 E90 330I - Monaco Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 50
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khafner View Post
there is an excellent review of this on the e39 5 series at www.bmwtips.com.
Several professional's who make their living designing sound systems have taken the system apart and explore all the options. It is a great primer. A good start is this: http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/s...les/wiring.htm.
The wiring diagrams as presented on the e90 website are great but they lack many of the wire pairs - each speaker has its own pair of wires. Each door gets four wires - tweet and mid. 9 speakers are listed four are missing. Keep the pairs together I do not believe that bmw uses a common ground.
not sure about the E90, but i know for a fact that the E92 has only one wire going into the door with a passive capacitor in line to restrict frequencies from going to the tweeter. otherwise the list of colors seems correct to me. they even use a passive capacitor on the rear tweeter as well, so only one pair of wires goes into each front door and one pair to each rear panel.
installmd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #16
hov333
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 959
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to hov333
guys, what wire can i use on my e92 that can give me a remote turn-on?? i dont have the trunk loc, i have the PAC SNI-35, same as the trunk loc except I need to find a remote wire.
hov333 is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #17
hov333
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 959
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to hov333
bump
hov333 is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #18
VP Electricity
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
VP Electricity's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 XDrive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: portland oregon

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (3)

There are a number of signal-sensing widgets for this from PAC, Peripheral, etc.
VP Electricity is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,939
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hov333 View Post
guys, what wire can i use on my e92 that can give me a remote turn-on?? i dont have the trunk loc, i have the PAC SNI-35, same as the trunk loc except I need to find a remote wire.
Get this... http://www.myradiostore.com/noise-fi...dc-loc4-t.html

You could get it in 2- and 4-channel versions...
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #20
tisme
Captain
 
tisme's Avatar
 
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England

Posts: 671
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Has anyone done any comparisons between the Logic7 and the Individual Sound System? I like my sound, and am thinking of going for individual.
__________________
F80 M3 Sakhir Orange with DCT and TV collected 21 June 2014.
tisme is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #21
VP Electricity
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
VP Electricity's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 XDrive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: portland oregon

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (3)

Is the "Individual" the same as the Stateside non-Logic 7?

I've seen different amps in non-Logic 7 E90 systems. Some are still fiber optic and some are copper-wire analog from the HU to the amp, like the X3.
VP Electricity is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #22
hov333
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 959
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to hov333
yea i just used my pac universal trigger thing, thanks guys
hov333 is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST