E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > (DIY) One little piece needed to enable our USA rear fog lights

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
ska///235i's Avatar (DIY) One little piece needed to enable our USA rear fog lights
ska///235i
03-17-2007
(DIY) enable our USA rear fog lights for E90 & E92

I took my light switch apart and discover that our switch has the ability for rear fogs, but there's one little piece needed/missing to activate it.

The switch is very easy to take apart.....just a few clips on the...
By Zirenz2006 on 03-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
Seeing where you need to cut the rear fog button to free it from the switch, what's the best technique for removing the buttons off the switch?
I used a utility knife to cut the plastic tabs holding the switch. I then used two small flat head screwdrivers to unclip the switch to get it out. That part was a pain.
By bimdaddy on 03-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Sorry HyperM3, I'm blind as a bat.

Just use two small screwdrivers to retract the tiny clips and use your 3rd hand to push the button out with the tip of a pencil.
By HyperM3 on 03-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimdaddy View Post
Sorry HyperM3, I'm blind as a bat.

Just use two small screwdrivers to retract the tiny clips and use your 3rd hand to push the button out with the tip of a pencil.
I was being sarcastic, the pics were appreciated. Just need to be cropped a bit.
By uhaulball on 03-20-2007, 10:27 AM
i guess it wasnt made very clear.

1. Undo the 2 inside clips of the rear fog button Faceplate.

THEN!

2. Bend off the 4 tabs on the faceplate, when in your hand. These four tabs are not connected by any means to the actual light switch unit, it is only 4 small protrusions on the faceplate preventing it from going inward, but not actually holding it in place. The two interior clips is what holds both the front fog light button and rear fog light button. once u take off the faceplate, and remove the four tabs, then slide it back in. It now slides on its track like the top button.

3. Obtain/Fabricate an extra "white" piece.

Dont saw off the 4 tabs when the faceplate is still attached to the unit, thats just a pain in the ass and i quickly dismissed that possibility when i was figuring out the proper way to go about this DIY.
By STE92VE on 03-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks all to your excellent recommendations! Can't wait to get my car to do this.:rocks:
By txusa03 on 03-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post

THEN!

2. Bend off the 4 tabs on the faceplate, when in your hand. These four tabs are not connected by any means to the actual light switch unit, it is only 4 small protrusions on the faceplate preventing it from going inward, but not actually holding it in place. The two interior clips is what holds both the front fog light button and rear fog light button. once u take off the faceplate, and remove the four tabs, then slide it back in. It now slides on its track like the top button.

Dont saw off the 4 tabs when the faceplate is still attached to the unit, thats just a pain in the ass and i quickly dismissed that possibility when i was figuring out the proper way to go about this DIY.
Thanks for those clarifications...keep them coming (ideas or clarifications)...
By mburg on 03-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Can you just order the German part from a dealer here in the US?
By JackMac on 03-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburg View Post
Can you just order the German part from a dealer here in the US?
Yes,

DIY: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26545

OEM Part: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=41
By scottwww on 03-22-2007, 03:09 PM
yahbet, can you order just the white piece? I doubt it.

Anybody with a parts list?
By STE92VE on 03-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
yahbet, can you order just the white piece? I doubt it.

Anybody with a parts list?
I would think you could. Probably best to bring the white piece into the dealer and tell him you need another. I doubt you would have to order the complete switch assembly if just one part broke. But then again, it's a $55 part. One of the least expensive parts on our car.

Also, there may be a part # molded into the white piece for those guys from CSI. This way if anyone was murdered with it they would know where it came from.
By mhaw2001 on 03-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
so does every BMW come with rear fog lights? or just the models that come equipped with the front fogs as well?
rear fog lights are standard (i.e. required) on ANY car sold in Europe regardless if front fogs were installed. Take a look at interior pics of the new M3. See only the button for rear fogs since front fogs are not installed on M3's

As far as i can tell these are the variations of the light control module available in E9x series cars:

Halogen (no adjustment)/No Front fog/no rear fog/rain sensor (Canada 323i)
Halogen (no adjustment)/Front fog/no rear fog/rain sensor (Canada/US)
Xenon/Front Fog/no rear fog/rain sensor (Canada/US)

Halogen (w adjust)/no front fog/rear fog/no rain sensor (Intl)
Halogen (w adjust)/no front fog/rear fog/rain sensor (Intl)
Halogen (w adjust)/front fog/rear fog/no rain sensor (Intl)
Halogen (w adjust)/front fog/rear fog/rain sensor (Intl)
Xenon/Front Fog/rear fog/no rain sensor (Intl)
Xenon/Front Fog/rear fog/rain sensor (Intl)
By teknochild on 03-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Quote:

THEN!

i did this today, getting those two small clips at the same time was one HUGE PITA everytime i would unclip one and move to the other the first would clip back in

i threw the screwdriver across the room twice

i cut the dowel i was using a little too short so i stuffed some paper towels in their, ill probably have to open it up again in the future once they compact a bit

cant wait to blind some soccer moms in their minivans
By uhaulball on 03-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
i did this today, getting those two small clips at the same time was one HUGE PITA everytime i would unclip one and move to the other the first would clip back in

i cut the dowel i was using a little too short so i stuffed some paper towels in their, ill probably have to open it up again in the future once they compact a bit

cant wait to blind some soccer moms in their minivans
ya, i hated that part. i actually broke a sweat doing that part lol
By BMW_E90 on 03-23-2007, 06:13 PM
excellent diy just did this and its great!
By Zirenz2006 on 03-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Quote:
ya, i hated that part. i actually broke a sweat doing that part lol
me 2...that part sucked..
By ska///235i on 03-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:

NOOBS

By teknochild on 03-23-2007, 07:35 PM
you know i got the first chance to look at them at night tonight... there not that bright, it just looks like im braking....

i still shined them on some asshole who tried to blind me with his brights for no reason
By STE92VE on 03-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Quote:
i still shined them on some asshole who tried to blind me with his brights for no reason
Atta boy!!
By skitsvilli on 03-23-2007, 10:33 PM
I used two matchstics and an elmers wood glue top, to fabricate the white piece. You just have to cut the matchstics down to size and cap fits perfectly.
By teknochild on 03-23-2007, 10:46 PM
i have a feeling that wont last very long though
By ages944 on 03-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitsvilli View Post
I used two matchstics and an elmers wood glue top, to fabricate the white piece. You just have to cut the matchstics down to size and cap fits perfectly.

...sssh, don't tell the dealer that when you go to trade the car in.
By NVM3NYC on 05-29-2007, 10:02 PM
I DID IT

great diy thanks!
Comment