E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Hawk DTC-60 won't fit e92?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
mid-corner fun
Major
United_States
15

 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE


Posts: 1,412
iTrader: (4)

Hawk DTC-60 won't fit e92?

I'm curious why Hawk's website does not list the DTC-60s as an option for the e92 335i. HT-10, Blue, even DTC-70 are all listed as options, but not DCT-60s. Any idea why? I was thinking of trying them out at the track.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
kevin@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
12

 
Drives: E36 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brea, CA


Posts: 812
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to kevin@bavarianx
The DTC-60 is actually an older pad which was replaced by the DTC-70. They still offer it on other cars as some people still prefer to use that pad over the new DTC-70.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
40

 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day


Posts: 3,474
iTrader: (1)

I recall when the DTC compounds first came out, the 70s and 60s were available at the same time...The 70 and 60 are both track pads but serve a slight different purpose. The 70 is designed for longer stints, like enduros so they have a higher heat capacity and they tend to last longer, plus they have higher brake torque but will eat the crap out of the rotors. DTC-60s are designed for shorter stints, like sprint races and DEs where sessions are about 20-25 minutes each.

Never tried the 70s on my car but the DTC-60s are by no means an "older" pad. They've only been out for 'bout 4-5 years. Equivalent to Cobalt XR-3 (XR-2 is like DTC-70) or PFC-01.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
Yankees 2010
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ/NY


Posts: 135
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I recall when the DTC compounds first came out, the 70s and 60s were available at the same time...The 70 and 60 are both track pads but serve a slight different purpose. The 70 is designed for longer stints, like enduros so they have a higher heat capacity and they tend to last longer, plus they have higher brake torque but will eat the crap out of the rotors. DTC-60s are designed for shorter stints, like sprint races and DEs where sessions are about 20-25 minutes each.

Never tried the 70s on my car but the DTC-60s are by no means an "older" pad. They've only been out for 'bout 4-5 years. Equivalent to Cobalt XR-3 (XR-2 is like DTC-70) or PFC-01.
ur the man
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
mid-corner fun
Major
United_States
15

 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE


Posts: 1,412
iTrader: (4)

Indeed, I was looking for an HT-10 "upgrade", if you will, in the form of the DTC-60 for DEs.

I got a response back from the Hawk product manager, DTC-60s are not available in the HB551x.748 shape that the 335i uses. HT-10/Blue/DTC-70 are the only viable options in that category.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
40

 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day


Posts: 3,474
iTrader: (1)

This website is a little flakey and take a while to load, but I bought my DTC-60s from Bimmerworld and their application chart is a lot more accurate than Hawk's own:

http://store.bimmerworld.com/hawk-ra...unds-p693.aspx

Looks like the 335i uses pad shape 534 for front and 362*** for the rear.

Quote:
***Hawk does not currently have proprietary part numbers for these locations though we have found these pad shapes will fit with slight modification to the backing plate clips.
Hawk representatives gave me the same answer wrt DTC-60 fitment for the MZ4 Coupe. What I found is that a lot of BMW's pad/backing plate numbers are interchangeable and you've got to get a little creative when it comes to the actual fitment. Sounds like you can either run it without the spring clips on the inbound pad or spread it out to fit better.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
mid-corner fun
Major
United_States
15

 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE


Posts: 1,412
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
This website is a little flakey and take a while to load, but I bought my DTC-60s from Bimmerworld and their application chart is a lot more accurate than Hawk's own:

http://store.bimmerworld.com/hawk-ra...unds-p693.aspx

Looks like the 335i uses pad shape 534 for front and 362*** for the rear.



Hawk representatives gave me the same answer wrt DTC-60 fitment for the MZ4 Coupe. What I found is that a lot of BMW's pad/backing plate numbers are interchangeable and you've got to get a little creative when it comes to the actual fitment. Sounds like you can either run it without the spring clips on the inbound pad or spread it out to fit better.
Help me out with your idea, how do you secure the pad in place without the spring clip? Won't it vibrate?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
40

 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day


Posts: 3,474
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
Help me out with your idea, how do you secure the pad in place without the spring clip? Won't it vibrate?
It's a track pad. Who cares if it vibrates? It's going to make god-aweful noises anyway.

I've seen guys take the 3 prong clip out on their track pads just so they can swap them inside out to even out wear and extend the life of the pad just a little (they're expensive afterall). In fact, some Colbalts don't even come with the 3 prong clip.

You'll be fine unless you intend to drive on the street a lot with these pads which wouldn't be advisable. Track pads eat rotors up when cold (and have relatively little bit).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
mid-corner fun
Major
United_States
15

 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE


Posts: 1,412
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
It's a track pad. Who cares if it vibrates? It's going to make god-aweful noises anyway.

I've seen guys take the 3 prong clip out on their track pads just so they can swap them inside out to even out wear and extend the life of the pad just a little (they're expensive afterall). In fact, some Colbalts don't even come with the 3 prong clip.

You'll be fine unless you intend to drive on the street a lot with these pads which wouldn't be advisable. Track pads eat rotors up when cold (and have relatively little bit).
thanks for the feedback. Indeed, I don't care about noise at the track (and these would be dedicated track pads) but I do care about stability. The vibration comment was meant towards vibration that would resonate through the wheel/driver seat (front or rear pads respectively) and distract me in braking zones, I'd rather focus on the course. I think I'll get a HT-10 set as my primary and a DTC-60+rotor set for "tests" and take it from there. thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
40

 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day


Posts: 3,474
iTrader: (1)

Once the brake is pressed, the cup seats against the inside pad and there will be no "vibration" without the clip. Trust me on this.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST