E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > New owner of a 2007 328i... needs maintenance?

08-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
Mors Inimicis

Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E90

New owner of a 2007 328i... needs maintenance?

So, I live in North Dakota (not by choice the Air Force put me here) I recently got married and went back to my old stompin grounds in WA to see my family and show off my new wife. Well, its about a 1100 mile drive from where I live in ND to where I'm from in WA and I took my honda civic which has no AC. The honda got me there like it always does (very reliable cars) but I stunk of body odor (no AC 90 degree weather) and had a bad back ache (very limited seat adjustments).

Well, one morning at my parents house while waiting for the wife to decide what we were gonna do for the day; I decided to look at cars, like I always do. She asked me what I was doing? I replied looking at cars. She asked well what do you wanna do today? I said go buy a BMW. She said OK. We hopped in the civic and headed to Bellevue WA. I dropped her off at the B-vue Square mall with my little sister so she could take her school shopping and I went car shopping.

I found a little hole in the wall place nestled in downtown B-vue. It was actually really sketchy looking. It was definitely not the kind of car dealership I was expecting to find in B-vue (a very yuppy area in WA). Long story short they had a 2007 328i with 29k on it priced at 21850. Through persistence and my innate ability to be obnoxious I managed to haggle the price to 19500. If thats not a good deal hold your comments because I felt like it was a good deal and I don't really care for you to burst my little bubble of happiness.

Now, for the purpose of this long winded post; the dealership I got the car from provided me with 0 (ZERO) maintenance history. I have no idea even when the last oil change was (I did have my bank carfax the car before purchase and it was all good). I have a few questions maybe someone can help me with.

A. Can I get it serviced at a BMW dealership and will it be free?

B. There is a slight wobble in the steering wheel at high speeds (90-100 it can be felt at lower speeds but just barely). I have a feeling it is because the wheels are not properly balanced (the sketchy dealership installed them themselves). Is this something a BMW dealership service would cover or should I just take it to my local tire place and fork out the cash to get them balanced?

C. I live in ND and the closest BMW dealership in the US to me is 400 miles away. That said, there is a dealership in Canada that is only 240 miles away. Can I get the car serviced in Canada?

D. Lastly, I'm considering getting the car CPO'd. Can I do that even though I am not the original owner? Also, I am interested in some light performance mods (exhaust, intake, suspension) is this something that would void the CPO warranty?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and sorry for the long winded-ness.
Mors Inimicis is offline   United Kingdom
      08-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.

Drives: 335xi

Depends on when the car was first registered. The warranty and "free" maintenance is for 4 years or 50k miles. While the mileage is right, you might be pretty close on time - the 07 could have first registered in August or so of '06.

Any BMW dealer should be able to tell you the car's maintenance history as well.

You were, however, a bit hast in buying a BMW from a shady dealership without having it checked by a qualified mechanic. Ask yourself where the shady dealership got the car - generally they get cars that dealerships won't buy because of a problem. Let's hope you got lucky.

Canadian dealerships won't generally do your "free" servicing but they'll be glad to do it for money.
      08-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Mors Inimicis

Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E90

CB thanks for the input. I will be sure to contact a dealership ASAP to see if I can get it serviced before my time is up (that is if it isn't already up) and see about getting it CPO'd. Do you know what they need? Just the vin or do I have to bring the car in? I really don't want to drive the car 400 miles just to be told it doesn't need an oil change for another 8k or something.

You are right I did probably buy the car a bit hastily. I do have a bit of mechanical wisdom (by no means a mechanic though) and the 1100 mile drive home went well; so I am optimistic I got a decent car. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't turn out to be a lemon; I have faith in BMW (even though my last one spontaneously burst into flames lol). Hopefully the wobble I am feeling in the wheel really is just poorly balanced wheels and not some issue with the frame.. it does have a clean carfax report though.
Mors Inimicis is offline   United Kingdom
      08-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
cb1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mors Inimicis View Post
CB thanks for the input. I will be sure to contact a dealership ASAP to see if I can get it serviced before my time is up (that is if it isn't already up) and see about getting it CPO'd. Do you know what they need? Just the vin or do I have to bring the car in? I really don't want to drive the car 400 miles just to be told it doesn't need an oil change for another 8k or something.

You are right I did probably buy the car a bit hastily. I do have a bit of mechanical wisdom (by no means a mechanic though) and the 1100 mile drive home went well; so I am optimistic I got a decent car. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't turn out to be a lemon; I have faith in BMW (even though my last one spontaneously burst into flames lol). Hopefully the wobble I am feeling in the wheel really is just poorly balanced wheels and not some issue with the frame.. it does have a clean carfax report though.
The bad news - a clean CARFAX means nothing.

That said, a problem free 1100 mile drive is a good indicator that the car has an engine, transmission and brakes - you'll most likely be fine.

The doorjamb has info on the date of manufacture. The earliest date of sale can be about a month after it was built (I bought my July build just as it came off the boat in August)

The BMW dealer will be able to get you info on maintenance history but they'll need to see and inspect the car to CPO it.

Find yourself a good independent garage in your area (ask on the local board) before you need it. Have them do routine maintenance stuff (400 miles is a long way for an oil change)

Good luck - although it appears that you won't need it.
      08-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
cb1111

Oh the vibration one is pretty simple. It is most likely either a bent rim or unbalanced wheel.

Find a shop with a road force balancing machine and have them balance your wheels. It is worth the few extra dollars to get it done right.

Here is a link to finding a shop with those machines

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm
      09-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
vintage.02

Drives: 335i

the cars maintenance needs are displayed in the cluster via the onboard computer. use the directional stalk and scroll thru and you can see what it needs and how many miles away it is until it is due. the closest one due will be displayed as soon as you start the car.