E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Engine Malfunction right after oil change



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
ishmaelali
MontegoMan
ishmaelali's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: Montego335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Engine Malfunction right after oil change

I know there are alot of posts about 'Engine Malfunction', however, I didn't see any when the warning came up right after getting an oil change from the dealership.

I just bought my car (2007 335i) last saturday, took it in for service today...all that was needed was an oil change. I drove the car out, pushed the pedal, and the Engine Malfunction came on.

The SA says that when they turned it on, the warning didn't come up, but they had a way of checking that it came on when I was driving it.

I really don't believe anything the BMW SA says, but he said that it could have been the oil level sensor. I asked why would it detect low oil after filling the oil. He didn't really have a good answer.

So, anyone have a clue? Btw, the car is a manufacturer buyback because the fuel pump was replaced twice.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
samchoi604
Colonel
28
Rep
2,320
Posts

 
Drives: black on black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC

iTrader: (3)

Did you take it back? They can probably check what's wrong. Perhaps its the fuel pump again. The low oil level indicator is a separate warning light from the service engine light I believe.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
103
Rep
7,090
Posts

 
Drives: '06 AW 330xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Jersey/Philly/NYC

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
Why would a dealer not change the oil before selling you a car especially if you had to get the oil changed a week after purchasing...what assholes
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
ishmaelali
MontegoMan
ishmaelali's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: Montego335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
Did you take it back? They can probably check what's wrong. Perhaps its the fuel pump again. The low oil level indicator is a separate warning light from the service engine light I believe.
Yeah I took it back immediately, they claimed that it was the oil level sensor, but you are right...it's a separate warning light. I think the SA's are a bunch of idiots. "You may want to monitor that".
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
ishmaelali
MontegoMan
ishmaelali's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: Montego335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Why would a dealer not change the oil before selling you a car especially if you had to get the oil changed a week after purchasing...what assholes
Because they are cheap...but then again, so am I...that's how I picked this car up for 19,250. Seems like an ideal candidate for an extended warranty. Not changing the oil on time for these cars can cause alot of damage (i'll let them pay for it
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
103
Rep
7,090
Posts

 
Drives: '06 AW 330xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Jersey/Philly/NYC

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmaelali View Post
Because they are cheap...but then again, so am I...that's how I picked this car up for 19,250. Seems like an ideal candidate for an extended warranty. Not changing the oil on time for these cars can cause alot of damage (i'll let them pay for it
Changing the oil at 15k intervals is also bad.....Horrible decision to be more "green" on BMW's part. I usually swap my oil every 5K-6K.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
ishmaelali
MontegoMan
ishmaelali's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: Montego335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Changing the oil at 15k intervals is also bad.....Horrible decision to be more "green" on BMW's part. I usually swap my oil every 5K-6K.
Yep - I can only do it going forward since the previous owner didn't do their job. I heard 9k was good, but I'm hearing 5-6k from you?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
ishmaelali
MontegoMan
ishmaelali's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: Montego335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Talked to my mechanic. BMW SA is full of crap. What probably happened is that they did not properly close the cap, and air got in there when I pushed on the acceleration. No big deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 03:41 AM   #9
samchoi604
Colonel
28
Rep
2,320
Posts

 
Drives: black on black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmaelali View Post
Talked to my mechanic. BMW SA is full of crap. What probably happened is that they did not properly close the cap, and air got in there when I pushed on the acceleration. No big deal.
Well at least that's a relief!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST