E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine Malfunction warning light came on a second time...Whats going on???

03-07-2007, 02:22 AM   #1
Fuukk_Mercedes
335i coupe, Vishnu PROcede, 19" iForged, Miltek ex
United_States
Rep

Drives: black 335i coupe, ZSP,ZPP, ZCA

Send a message via AIM to Fuukk_Mercedes
Engine Malfunction warning light came on a second time...Whats going on???

I was just driving down PCH in the newport beach area very calmly and the "engine malfunction! Reduced power!" warning light came on for the second time in my cars 1,200 mile history. Whats going on??!! And i still havent received my PROcede yet either, all i have is a Milltek cat back exhaust system.
Sapphire Black 335i coupe/ Saddle Brown leather/Aluminum trim-Sport package,Paddle shifters, Premium package, navigation, comfort access,PDC, V1, Vishnu PROcede, 19" flat black faced iForged wheels, Milltek exhuast, side markers painted, %25tint
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 03:01 AM   #2
DrM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i Montego Blue E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuukk_Mercedes View Post
I was just driving down PCH in the newport beach area very calmly and the "engine malfunction! Reduced power!" warning light came on for the second time in my cars 1,200 mile history. Whats going on??!! And i still havent received my PROcede yet either, all i have is a Milltek cat back exhaust system.
If you have a code reader or if you take it to a dealer they can almost certainly tell you. The two most likely things are 1) overheating, 2) a defective fuel pump. They have a simple test for the fuel pump. If the fuel pump is bad, it will show up more frequently with the PROcede.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 03:27 AM   #3
jasyn
Private
Rep

Drives: retired BMW 330i

i see you've had previous threads regarding this issue .. so my question to you is why don't you just send it in to the dealership and have them check it out?

someone in ur previous thread btw said there was an ecu upgrade that fixed this.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 04:25 AM   #4
Fuukk_Mercedes
335i coupe, Vishnu PROcede, 19" iForged, Miltek ex
United_States
Rep

Drives: black 335i coupe, ZSP,ZPP, ZCA

Send a message via AIM to Fuukk_Mercedes
yea, on thursday im taking my car to the dealer to have them fix the holes they drilled in the front for a f-ing liscense plate that i told them week after week while i was waiting for delivery NOT TO MOUNT A FRONT PLATE so i'll tell them about that, have them fix but im just affraid that they're gonna hit me with some bullshit like ohhh its cuz of your exhaust
Sapphire Black 335i coupe/ Saddle Brown leather/Aluminum trim-Sport package,Paddle shifters, Premium package, navigation, comfort access,PDC, V1, Vishnu PROcede, 19" flat black faced iForged wheels, Milltek exhuast, side markers painted, %25tint
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 05:03 AM   #5
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 335 "done up"

could be a couple things, I know your local...if you want i have a diagnosis reader and can at least tell you what code the CEL is.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep

Drives: 335

When you CLEAR engine fault codes yourself using the diagnosis reader, does the ECU log this information? I don't want the dealer asking me why or who cleared some engine fault codes a few times if I bring my car in....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
jasyn
Private
Rep

Drives: retired BMW 330i

Quote:
yea, on thursday im taking my car to the dealer to have them fix the holes they drilled in the front for a f-ing liscense plate that i told them week after week while i was waiting for delivery NOT TO MOUNT A FRONT PLATE so i'll tell them about that, have them fix but im just affraid that they're gonna hit me with some bullshit like ohhh its cuz of your exhaust
lol that sucks as far as the dealership giving you shit for your exhaust .. i don't think putting an exhaust voids your warranty. however, it all depends on who you go to. what dealership do you go to? i usually take mine to new century bmw here in alhambra, and they are less stricken with modded cars needing maintenance. as long as you keep it cool with your service advisor, everything will be

and if worse comes to worse, you can go to a independent place such as european motorworks in arcadia (www.emw1.com). john handal is a certified master technician who use to work at new century bmw, and got his own shop opened. if he knows these new e92 engines, i wouldn't know. but worth a try.

Last edited by jasyn; 03-07-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
There is absolutely no way having an AM exhaust is going to void your warranty on anything but the exhaust or of you jacked something up when installing it like drilling a hole in the oil pan to add an extra bracket or something .

Man, you guys are too paranoid, if I was that worried I would never mod. Take your car in and let them check it out
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
Jeff715
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i coupe

the issue with the engine malfunction light could be because of the defective high pressured fuel pump. We have cars coming in everyday for that issue, usually with mileage between 1,200 to 3,400 miles on it. However those pumps are on international back order so your car may be in the shop for about a week or so. as far as your exhaust, you shouldnt have any issues because the technician would have to have 100% proff that your exhaust is causing that light to turn on which is pretty much impossible to do. so just bring it to the dealer and have it taken care of
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2007, 12:18 AM   #10
bimmerboi
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i

hey
I have the same problem! i actually have the procede in and like 3 weeks ago every time i hit the pedal MAJOR POWER LOSS and car vibrates. Is that what your car is doing? or did? Mine is still in the garage been about 3 weeks just took out the procede yesterday. Taking it to the dealership soon. Please let me know how your car reacted and what happend when you hit the gas. Explain to me cause i think i have a bad fuel pump NOT sure though. thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2007, 12:57 AM   #11
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep

Drives: E28 535, 1996 Dodge Ram Diesel

Send a message via AIM to itsbrokeagain
sounds like you guys fuel pumps are taking a crap.

Im surprised you guys dealerships give you a lot of shit for your aftermarket parts. I would have to say that on the island here, I think we are, if not one of, the most laid back dealerships around. I've worked on more M3s and 3 series that had exhaust, slammed to the floor, or extra aero parts, and we usually don't say anything, because we all know that putting a muffler on your car, isn't going to break it.

<-Official Vehicle Transport for AUTOCouture
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #12
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 535xi

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [0.00]
When my car had a problem of limp-mode and vibration, my SA told me it was a fuel injector that died. He stated one cylinder wasn't firing well and this was causing the shudder.
Appreciate 0