Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Another Potenza Runflat question



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #45
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
60

 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary


Posts: 1,647
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
That's the thing, you were already grinning by the time exiting the parking lot of the tire store.

You had an opinion already before driving. Of course, because you had made a choice already. You experience what you expect to experience. Moreover, new tires are better than old, and of course in a perfect balance.

I have been driving and tracking many Beemers with RFTs and non-RFTs. Same size RFTs are less comfortable, but appr. a second per kilometer quicker.

I am open to all choices when the time comes for the next set for my personal daily driver e92 335i. However, saying that Potenza RE050A RFTs suck is ignorance. Especially mated with e92 335i OE suspension they are fabulous performance wise. The thread is about Potenzas, not about Runflats in general.

Traditionally, European taste is towards performance & handling rather than comfort. It's understandable that I like my suspension (springs+shocks+tires) to be stiffer than you. I couldn't think of having my 335 without sport suspension or minimal flex in tirewalls. The turn-in must be sharp and I don't want my tires to wrap from the wheels in a fast curve, but be in a parallel with the ground offering the most grip. I have a tarmac rally suspension in my Integrale, and that has all the suspension elements a lot stiffer than my Bmw. Whatever funny theories people have here, the truth is that a fast tarmac suspension is very very stiff compared to any ordinary car suspension.

However, for your taste you can make a good choice having non-RFTs when its time to replace your old tires. But if you say my current tires are not good for me, I expect you even try to give me some facts. Because its quite bold of a statement. Especially, since I have been driving quite a lot of e92 335i at non-RFT's.
I am running the Potenza RFTs on my E90 323i Sport and all I can say is put 15000 kms plus on the Potenza RFTs and maybe you will agree with me that they suck. They get noisier, make a humming noise between 60 kph and 80 kph, and perform poorly on uneven pavement.

I don't like how the RFTs degrade... rather than just lossing rubber, they deform and cup for no reason. This is what pisses me off especially when you pay an arm and a leg for RFT Potenza tires.

I'd rather go non-RFT and have a set of tires that peforms effectively over the life of the tires rather than get RFTs that perform better when new and then degrade savagely over the life of the tire.

I couldn't care less about being faster around a race track. Try putting 15,000 km on a RFT potenza and 15,000 km on a standard Potenza and see who is faster more consistently on the track... I'd be curious to find out.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #46
Richwm
Captain
United_States
23

 
Richwm's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canyon Country, CA.


Posts: 872
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
ANYONE trying runflats and "real" tires back-to-back on an E90/92 would have the same impression. Hell, I was already grinning by the time I exited the parking lot of the tire store. I've yet to see anyone who's made the switch do anything but rave about the upgrade. OTOH there are plenty of people who never have experienced both who are steadfastly defending runflats. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. Too bad, they're missing out on turning their great car into a really great car.
I couldnt have said it better.

You guys that think the stock tires have better grip read this from Car and Driver http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...y_f1_gs_ds.pdf
__________________
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit.
180K miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #47
N1
Second Lieutenant
11

 
N1's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320d M
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: EU


Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)

BMW Run-Flat Tires Video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/333266...un_flat_tires/
only for drivers with hands.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 07:18 AM   #48
agh!
Private First Class
1

 
agh!'s Avatar
 
Drives: E91 320d SE
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hampshire UK


Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

In this RFT's are OK / not OK debate, lets throw into the ring the fact that September 2006 build dates onwards have a different part number for struts than pre-Sept 2006 cars. This could mean that is is not an E92 vs. E90/E91 issues at all, it could be down to new improved suspension set up.
An E91 owner I know who historically hates RFt's on 1 and 5 series finds them absolutely fine so far on his October/November 2006 built E91 335i.

bnj, when was your car built?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #49
bnj
Banned
14

 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Helsinki


Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agh! View Post
In this RFT's are OK / not OK debate, lets throw into the ring the fact that September 2006 build dates onwards have a different part number for struts than pre-Sept 2006 cars. This could mean that is is not an E92 vs. E90/E91 issues at all, it could be down to new improved suspension set up.
An E91 owner I know who historically hates RFt's on 1 and 5 series finds them absolutely fine so far on his October/November 2006 built E91 335i.

bnj, when was your car built?
October 2006 e92 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #50
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
60

 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary


Posts: 1,647
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agh! View Post
In this RFT's are OK / not OK debate, lets throw into the ring the fact that September 2006 build dates onwards have a different part number for struts than pre-Sept 2006 cars. This could mean that is is not an E92 vs. E90/E91 issues at all, it could be down to new improved suspension set up.
An E91 owner I know who historically hates RFt's on 1 and 5 series finds them absolutely fine so far on his October/November 2006 built E91 335i.

bnj, when was your car built?
I have a December 2005 build date and I thought that my RFTs were perfectly fine for a while too. Then they wore a bit and started to suck. I only have 13,000 km on my Summer Potenzas and they are pretty poopy.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #51
KevinC
your average JAMF
45

 
KevinC's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '05 330Ci ZHP
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chandler, AZ


Posts: 1,519
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agh! View Post
In this RFT's are OK / not OK debate, lets throw into the ring the fact that September 2006 build dates onwards have a different part number for struts than pre-Sept 2006 cars.
They switched suppliers - from (I think) Boge/Sachs to (I'm sure) Bilstein.

NOTHING to do with the runflat tires sucking hind tit.
__________________
'05 330Ci ZHP ..PD99819______________'07 Z4M Coupe ..LL93707
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 06:37 AM   #52
bnj
Banned
14

 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Helsinki


Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwm View Post
Buy PS-II over stock RFT's

higher cornering limits (.95 g's stock .98 with PS-II's)
Nobody has been correcting the false info in this thread. Just an example,
I hope that everyone knows that in reality e.g. 335i e92 & stock Potenza runflats does 1.15 g. Where do the people get these "facts"?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 07:05 AM   #53
agh!
Private First Class
1

 
agh!'s Avatar
 
Drives: E91 320d SE
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hampshire UK


Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
They switched suppliers - from (I think) Boge/Sachs to (I'm sure) Bilstein.

NOTHING to do with the runflat tires sucking hind tit.
Fair comment. The ride seems to be better on the newer struts / shocks, the other rft woe's still may reveal themselves with 8K+ miles of wear and / or colder weather.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 10:08 AM   #54
Richwm
Captain
United_States
23

 
Richwm's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canyon Country, CA.


Posts: 872
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
Nobody has been correcting the false info in this thread. Just an example,
I hope that everyone knows that in reality e.g. 335i e92 & stock Potenza runflats does 1.15 g. Where do the people get these "facts"?
1.15 g no way its a 3er not a Porche or a Z06 Vet. Car and driver only got .88 g on a 328 sport not even a stock M3 will do 1.15 g.
__________________
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit.
180K miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #55
bnj
Banned
14

 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Helsinki


Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwm View Post
1.15 g no way its a 3er not a Porche or a Z06 Vet. Car and driver only got .88 g on a 328 sport not even a stock M3 will do 1.15 g.
Yeah, but stock runflats on e92 335i are so good that it's much better than M3 with bigger rims & wider non-runflat lowprofile tires + the praised M3 suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 10:32 PM   #56
Josephkao
Captain
United_States
38

 
Drives: 2008 335i sedan
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 997
iTrader: (13)

I check on Tirerack, size 225/40/18 RFT and non RFT weigh actually the same at 25 lbs. Go on their site and check it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 11:49 PM   #57
Richwm
Captain
United_States
23

 
Richwm's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canyon Country, CA.


Posts: 872
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephkao View Post
I check on Tirerack, size 225/40/18 RFT and non RFT weigh actually the same at 25 lbs. Go on their site and check it yourself.
True but PS-2's are only 21 lbs.
__________________
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit.
180K miles.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST