E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Petrol Stations



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-03-2010, 05:29 AM   #1
pjs
Colonel
125

 
pjs's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NORTH


Posts: 2,556
iTrader: (1)

Petrol Stations

My thoughts from another week on the motorways

1- I have belatedly discovered the joy of being able to fill the car up from the 'wrong' side quite easily when everyone is queueing for the right hand side fillers. Got to position the car well, but worth it to do it effortlessly to the bemusement/frustration of others. Just yank the hose and it keeps coming.

2 - When it is busy, why wont the retard in front just pull there car forward a bit so I can fill up as they wander aimlessly round the shop making a chuffing latte. I do this whenever I can and people look at me very amazed but grateful

3 - why does it cost more for a bit of malt loaf (usually 80p) when a full loaf in the supermarket it less (usually 70p)

4 - Why dont I get a diesel so I stop far less.

hmmm
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
toxicnerve
Colonel
73

 
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,834
iTrader: (2)

In order:

1. Do you not find it's a pain to keep the hose off the paintwork? My car is covered in muck at the moment and if the hose dragged across the body it would no doubt marr/scratch the paint.

2. NFI, can the kiosk "store" your fuel total if someone else starts using the pump before you have paid?

3. Supermarkets have more buying power, they will able to access the best possible wholesale prices and return pass those savings onto you. Because the petrol station kiosks (which are franchises I believe?) will be buying in lower volume they are not offered such good pricing which in turn affects the retail price you pay.

4. Because you'd then have a shitty diesel which won't sound as good or have the same "drive-ability"? Having said that, the 335i is a TT engine so perhaps if you were after the purest driving experience you'd have gone for a 330i instead (being NA).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
kaishang
Colonel
58

 
Drives: 2010 E90 330d
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London


Posts: 2,198
iTrader: (0)

1. The hose doesn't drag on the paintwork because, so no problem filling up on the "wrong" side. You don't even need to park that close, you could park 2 ft forward of the hose and 2 feet out and it will still reach. I don't understand why people queue up so they can have a pump on the same side as the fill point. I'm not British, so I've put this down to the attraction some British people seem to feel for queueing up.

2. The pump they would vacate by moving won't work anyway until they have paid for their fuel.

3. No comment.

4. The nice thing about a disesel with a 60 litre tank is you can drive 500+ miles on a motorway before running out of fuel, so you never need to stop at expensive motorway service centres.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
pjs
Colonel
125

 
pjs's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NORTH


Posts: 2,556
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
In order:

1. Do you not find it's a pain to keep the hose off the paintwork? My car is covered in muck at the moment and if the hose dragged across the body it would no doubt marr/scratch the paint.

- No, but I do use my left hand to keep the hose away from the car

2. NFI, can the kiosk "store" your fuel total if someone else starts using the pump before you have paid?

- Yes, when you put the holder back on after a fill it 'stores' it.

3. Supermarkets have more buying power, they will able to access the best possible wholesale prices and return pass those savings onto you. Because the petrol station kiosks (which are franchises I believe?) will be buying in lower volume they are not offered such good pricing which in turn affects the retail price you pay.

I know, they are just robbing bastards.

4. Because you'd then have a shitty diesel which won't sound as good or have the same "drive-ability"? Having said that, the 335i is a TT engine so perhaps if you were after the purest driving experience you'd have gone for a 330i instead (being NA).
Wasnt bothered about 'pure', just 'fast'
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
pjs
Colonel
125

 
pjs's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NORTH


Posts: 2,556
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
1. The hose doesn't drag on the paintwork because, so no problem filling up on the "wrong" side. You don't even need to park that close, you could park 2 ft forward of the hose and 2 feet out and it will still reach. I don't understand why people queue up so they can have a pump on the same side as the fill point. I'm not British, so I've put this down to the attraction some British people seem to feel for queueing up.

2. The pump they would vacate by moving won't work anyway until they have paid for their fuel.

3. No comment.

4. The nice thing about a disesel with a 60 litre tank is you can drive 500+ miles on a motorway before running out of fuel, so you never need to stop at expensive motorway service centres.
Re 2 - it does, try it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
beemerbird
Major General
England
130

 
beemerbird's Avatar
 
Drives: Merc diesel
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Yorkshire


Posts: 7,953
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
My thoughts from another week on the motorways

1- I have belatedly discovered the joy of being able to fill the car up from the 'wrong' side quite easily when everyone is queueing for the right hand side fillers. Got to position the car well, but worth it to do it effortlessly to the bemusement/frustration of others. Just yank the hose and it keeps coming.

2 - When it is busy, why wont the retard in front just pull there car forward a bit so I can fill up as they wander aimlessly round the shop making a chuffing latte. I do this whenever I can and people look at me very amazed but grateful

3 - why does it cost more for a bit of malt loaf (usually 80p) when a full loaf in the supermarket it less (usually 70p)

4 - Why dont I get a diesel so I stop far less.

hmmm
LOL Paul, luv your observations on real life.

1. I often do this as I've got a pair of functioning arms that are capable of holding the hose. Shell's pump hoses will pull out a fair distance and use the left arm to hold it off the paintwork - simple. But yes it is amusing seeing others sitting there thinking 'wish I'd done that'

2. Have done this if I'm at the 2nd pump and the one in front is free so at least 1 car can start to fill up.

3. Because they play on peoples lazyness imo and 'convenience'. They're often open 24 hrs etc. What pisses me off is if they don't have two cashiers on so a queue forms. The reason I REFUSE to go to the Esso garage up the road that has a Tesco shop inside because the queues are ridiculous. There are 3 tills so open the buggers up ffs!

4. 'Cos you're a petrol head Unless I was doing mega mileage Paul I would stick with a petrol engine and all that entails. The Shell garages near me have 'peak' times. Early workday mornings are a breeze to fill up.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
33

 
Drives: E90 320d
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: England


Posts: 681
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
3. Supermarkets have more buying power, they will able to access the best possible wholesale prices and return pass those savings onto you. Because the petrol station kiosks (which are franchises I believe?) will be buying in lower volume they are not offered such good pricing which in turn affects the retail price you pay.
The petrol stations are just as ruthless, you dont deal with each francise. The deals are done with HQ and then filtered through to the various franchises, well in the drinks industry anyways.

Food and drink is a massive profit maker for the petrol stations, they make more money from that then fuel.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
128

 
peterg1965's Avatar
 
Drives: MY12 Range Rover Sport HSE
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The place of dark satanic mills, UK


Posts: 4,138
iTrader: (0)

i HATE motorway services.... somewhere that the monopolies commission should investigate. Total rip off for everything, I never ever fill up in a motorway services, even if I use the 'company' fuel card. I made the mistake of buying a Burger King at one a few weeks ago on the M6. Two cheeseburgers, small fries and small coke - 8.08........ I was fcuking furious and let the duty manager know, stupid cow just shrugged her shoulders and said 'Motorway prices'......
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
jjbirch
Banned
62

 
jjbirch's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: england


Posts: 2,927
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
in my local bp station theres a sign on the pump stating please do not move the car until you have paid for your fuel,
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
119

 
ed335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Surrey, UK


Posts: 6,899
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
57 e92 M3  [5.00]
2008 e92 335d  [0.00]
Paul, you need to get out more!
__________________
E92 M3, Jerez Black, Fox Red Novillo, 19'' M Double Spoke, folding mirrors, lumbar support, front seat heating, PDC, USB, DAB, EDC, Bluetooth, Logic 7, High Gloss Shadowline, big smile
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
12

 
Rochdale Pioneers's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 520d SE
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Stockton on Tees UK


Posts: 371
iTrader: (0)

I don't get the pump on the wrong side "problem". I line the car up so that it runs close to the pumps. I pull up so that the back of the car is in line with the pumps. The hose reaches across the back of the tailgate and into the hole without touching anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
warriorboy
Private
England
0

 
warriorboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d M Sport coupe
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NW England


Posts: 89
iTrader: (1)

why isnt the fuel filler in the middle under the no.plate like in 70's US cop dramas?

Im sure they could put a one way valve in the filler neck to make it safe in the event of a rear ender
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST