E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > another high boost N54 engine failure



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #441
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
479
Rep
15,044
Posts


 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
So BMS has claimed that the JB3 Pro will be able to do everything the current competitors (Procede) can do, and even more... Can you give up a few hints of these 'features' that currently are unavailable with the procede?

With the recent advancements with the Procede Command Center, with all the adaptation resets, Autotuning, shift light, dash gauges, etc., I just can't what BMS has up their sleeve that's not out. It must be pretty stellar.
Both the G4 and PRO have the BMS equivalent with code clearing, code reading in dash, adaption resets, airbag resets, shift light, in dash gauges including timing, boost, IAT, EGT, etc. One of the main differences with the PRO board will be how methanol is controlled and what is required to control it.

Mike
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #442
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
United_States
702
Rep
17,616
Posts

 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Both the G4 and PRO have the BMS equivalent with code clearing, code reading in dash, adaption resets, airbag resets, shift light, in dash gauges including timing, boost, IAT, EGT, etc. One of the main differences with the PRO board will be how methanol is controlled and what is required to control it.

Mike
You don't consider timing control/cps offset and isolated boost control to be one of the main differences? Seems that you are purposely underplaying their advantages in an attempt to gloss over two of the biggest limitations present in the jb3 platform.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #443
cstavaru
Brigadier General
cstavaru's Avatar
94
Rep
3,237
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bucharest, Romania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Tell me how you would add-in 1 degree of timing retard with the current JB or even GIAC for that case?
I would never ever play with the settings and instead I would let the tuners do this for me (one of the reasons I'm considering GIAC). Why ? Because altering the settings (like adding 1 degree of timing) means just changing to a different, UNTESTED map from the millions of maps that you can create by altering settings. Do you think that the tuners test every combination of settings ? There are millions if not more of them. There is no need for me to be a test mule...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #444
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
United_States
702
Rep
17,616
Posts

 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I would never ever play with the settings and instead I would let the tuners do this for me (one of the reasons I'm considering GIAC). Why ? Because altering the settings (like adding 1 degree of timing) means just changing to a different, UNTESTED map from the millions of maps that you can create by altering settings. Do you think that the tuners test every combination of settings ? There are millions if not more of them. There is no need for me to be a test mule...
Once you have a tune that is based solidly upon basic engine tuning theory, you don't have to worry about thing. Also, I'd urge you to educate yourself more on this subject before making the arguments that you are making. Ilma just asked you how you would make your tune more conservative. You responded that you can't/wouldn't because that could be potentially dangerous.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #445
BrianMN
Colonel
43
Rep
2,429
Posts

 
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I would never ever play with the settings and instead I would let the tuners do this for me (one of the reasons I'm considering GIAC). Why ? Because altering the settings (like adding 1 degree of timing) means just changing to a different, UNTESTED map from the millions of maps that you can create by altering settings. Do you think that the tuners test every combination of settings ? There are millions if not more of them. There is no need for me to be a test mule...
You're not getting, at all, What ilma was saying. No point in making a dumb argument When What you're arguing isn't even relevant.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #446
cstavaru
Brigadier General
cstavaru's Avatar
94
Rep
3,237
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bucharest, Romania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Also, I'd urge you to educate yourself more on this subject before making the arguments that you are making. Ilma just asked you how you would make your tune more conservative. You responded that you can't/wouldn't because that could be potentially dangerous.
I suppose you are aware that retarding timing increases your EGTs because the fuel mixture is hotter/still burning when the exhaust valves open ?

I am sure (and I really hope so) that in the tuning process you are also looking at the EGTs while looking at knock and power, when studying the effects of excessive ignition retard that could possibly be triggered by an unsuspecting customer trying to make his tune more "conservative".
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #447
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
United_States
702
Rep
17,616
Posts

 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I suppose you are aware that retarding timing increases your EGTs because the fuel mixture is hotter/still burning when the exhaust valves open ?

I am sure (and I really hope so) that in the tuning process you are also looking at the EGTs while looking at knock and power, when studying the effects of excessive ignition retard that could possibly be triggered by an unsuspecting customer trying to make his tune more "conservative".
oh god. Stop it. We limit the amount of retard that a customer can induce. Even at the maximum, it's far less than the DME would reactively induce in a full boost/low octane condition. And you don't see anyone with burned exhaust valves with these engines. Only broken ring lands from knock.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #448
GaryS
Colonel
24
Rep
2,089
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [3.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
We limit the amount of retard that a customer can induce.
If only JB3 would do that too.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #449
Brian135i
First Lieutenant
Brian135i's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
373
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 09' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sicily

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Lol...
__________________
11.35 @ 125MPH
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #450
lawdude
Colonel
lawdude's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,259
Posts

 
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (1)

Just dropped in to see how things were. Somebody posts about a problem. Tuners co-opt the thead and start telling how clueless the other side is. Pretty much the same as it's been for the past 4 years.
__________________
What do I know? I'm insane.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #451
techlogik
Major
20
Rep
1,339
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Just dropped in to see how things were. Somebody posts about a problem. Tuners co-opt the thead and start telling how clueless the other side is. Pretty much the same as it's been for the past 4 years.
I don't think that is accurate at all. We all know Shiv has a clue what he is talking about and does. Anybody that doubts this is a complete imbecil and clueless.

It is usually Shiv pointing out technically the lack of sophistication of the JB product and tuner. Which you can't argue with, if you do, you are trying to hide something, or are obviously biased or misleading people.

Nobody has jumped on GIAC yet...that is good, because you would also be a moron if you did.
__________________
SOLD: 2007 E92 335i Space Gray. Loaded. 6AT | GIAC Stage 1 w/map switcher 330rwhp/332tq | CX Racing IC | Drop-in Filter | Eibach Pro/Koni Yellows | M6 Reps | Toyo Proxes IV Tires, 235/35/19F-265/30/19R
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #452
lawdude
Colonel
lawdude's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,259
Posts

 
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
I don't think that is accurate at all. We all know Shiv has a clue what he is talking about and does. Anybody that doubts this is a complete imbecil and clueless.

It is usually Shiv pointing out technically the lack of sophistication of the JB product and tuner. Which you can't argue with, if you do, you are trying to hide something, or are obviously biased or misleading people.

Nobody has jumped on GIAC yet...that is good, because you would also be a moron if you did.
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. BTW, you misspelled "imbecile".
__________________
What do I know? I'm insane.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #453
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
badass335's Avatar
Canada
33
Rep
1,815
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90 AT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Surrey, BC

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Just dropped in to see how things were. Somebody posts about a problem. Tuners co-opt the thead and start telling how clueless the other side is. Pretty much the same as it's been for the past 4 years.
You know the sad part though.... We never got any smart ass remarks/ sayings though... You sure you're the 'original' lawdude?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #454
Ilma
Colonel
29
Rep
2,576
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hometown

iTrader: (0)

Oh lawdude......we miss your zingers for sure.....

And just for the record CSTAVARU, I have used flash software very similar to GIAC in the past on a VAG platform.

APR and REVO are major competitors to GIAC in this market and I have tried both.

It's interesting that you think a flash should be set it and forget it....because REVO software allowed the end-user to adjust ignition advance a few degrees and suggested that datalogs which showed timing pull of up to 2-4 degrees was considered acceptable.

I don't know what their logic was for the 2-4 degree number, but I definately recall this being the case.

Last edited by Ilma; 10-10-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #455
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
244
Rep
18,382
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
Unfortunately, it is true. JB3 is *almost* as good as Procede at 1/2-1/3 of the cost, no matter how someone would wash your brain.

Procede is more expensive because they don't manufacture their product and they use a Haltech device as a base instead. So they have to add their own profits on top of the original manufacturer profits. The only thing Procede has better than the JB3 is the "timing control", which adds/removes timing on top of the ECU timing (so it does not control it fully). Most of the time when running on proper bolt-ons the Procede does not alter timing, so in those cases it is equivalent to the JB3. The CAN boost target access is another plus but JB3 emulates the boost target very very well these days.

That's it. The other things besides the power adding stuff really don't matter, they are just marketing gimmicks.

PS: I have the BMW PPK and I intend to go with GIAC. It's just easy to see how the marketing washes brains on this forum.
You really need to start doing more research. BADLY!

I dont think one thing you said comes anywhere close to relevance or factual information.

We are all dumber because of your post, I award you no points.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
Prime example of a misinformed, uninformed, or choosing to be oblivious person...in exact fashion as described above. So sad/ funny/ bad.

There are things a wise man chooses to be ignorant, but tuning his car shouldn't be one g them
Yea that was probably the most uneducated, insanely wrong post I've seen to date on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I would never ever play with the settings and instead I would let the tuners do this for me (one of the reasons I'm considering GIAC). Why ? Because altering the settings (like adding 1 degree of timing) means just changing to a different, UNTESTED map from the millions of maps that you can create by altering settings. Do you think that the tuners test every combination of settings ? There are millions if not more of them. There is no need for me to be a test mule...
IDK which one of your posts are so wrong... I think you just beat yourself here in making an even worst post. The guy asked about retarding timing and you said why would u add timing? Its a different map? LOL

You strongly need to research basic tuning. How engines work. What ignition timing is. And stop regurgitating how you think tunes work and dont work.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 10-10-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #456
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
7
Rep
536
Posts

 
Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sarasota

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
oh god. Stop it. We limit the amount of retard that a customer can induce. Even at the maximum, it's far less than the DME would reactively induce in a full boost/low octane condition. And you don't see anyone with burned exhaust valves with these engines. Only broken ring lands from knock.
If i am not midtaken enriata said at his valves were "loose" when the heads were removed. Not sure if he was refering to guides or valve seats. Either way guides or valve seats at 70 k miles is not a good sign. Valves not seating correctly is a sign of either too much carbon or burnt valves maybe due to high egts. Do you know what material the valves are made of in these motors ?

Harry

Ps i am not saying jb or proced is better etc etc. For the record i prefer flashes
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #457
BrianMN
Colonel
43
Rep
2,429
Posts

 
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
You really need to start doing more research. BADLY!

I dont think one thing you said comes anywhere close to relevance or factual information.

We are all dumber because of your post, I award you no points.




Yea that was probably the most uneducated, insanely wrong post I've seen to date on this forum.



IDK which one of your posts are so wrong... I think you just beat yourself here in making an even worst post. The guy asked about retarding timing and you said why would u add timing? Its a different map? LOL

You strongly need to research basic tuning. How engines work. What ignition timing is. And stop regurgitating how you think tunes work and dont work.
SPOT ON.

I actually chuckle at most of his/these posts. It does suck, for the unaware readers, who actually think his/those posts are legit. In fact, that's probably where he is getting his misinformation!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #458
techlogik
Major
20
Rep
1,339
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. BTW, you misspelled "imbecile".
Hey...I is educated...
__________________
SOLD: 2007 E92 335i Space Gray. Loaded. 6AT | GIAC Stage 1 w/map switcher 330rwhp/332tq | CX Racing IC | Drop-in Filter | Eibach Pro/Koni Yellows | M6 Reps | Toyo Proxes IV Tires, 235/35/19F-265/30/19R
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #459
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post

It's interesting that you think a flash should be set it and forget it....because REVO software allowed the end-user to adjust ignition advance a few degrees and suggested that datalogs which showed timing pull of up to 2-4 degrees was considered acceptable.

I don't know what their logic was for the 2-4 degree number, but I definately recall this being the case.
I had REVO as well, but never messed with the settings.
There were people that did and did end up running very lean.
I think they caught it though before anything major happened, but still.
You really have to know what you're doing before just bumping up settings.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #460
vase330
Colonel
vase330's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,676
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i ; 14 RangeRover SSC
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arlington, Va

iTrader: (1)

I like to hear from the horse's own mouth (Enrita) rather than speculate. Did he post any pictures of his cooked head on here?
__________________
E92 335 | Space Gray | Saddle Brown Dakota | Dark Burl Trim | ZPP | ZSP | AT | Idrive | 6FL | FBO | Dinan CAI | Quaife LSD | STG3 PROCede.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #461
lawdude
Colonel
lawdude's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,259
Posts

 
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
You know the sad part though.... We never got any smart ass remarks/ sayings though... You sure you're the 'original' lawdude?
I guess I'm not quite myself. Many 2010 GT500s have a problem with second gear. Mine progressively got worse until synchros took a crap. It's been sitting in the shop for about a month waiting on backordered parts. Hard to feel happy when my 555rwhp 575rwt ride is collecting dust at the dealer while I'm driving around in a 2003 Ford Explorer.
__________________
What do I know? I'm insane.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #462
scalbert
Major General
scalbert's Avatar
78
Rep
5,710
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
I personally don't have a dog in this fight, but to be fair, it seems like things have changed a bit since BMS thought these features were unnecessary. People were not running meth and nitrous back then were they?

I don't know, I'm no expert but opinions and requirements for safety do change with progress.
A/D filtering, etc. have nothing to do with added features. They are involved with the most basic electronics design. IMO, they were left out to aid in hitting the market as quickly as possible and to limit production time/costs since early units were built in a garage. But that limitation in the design also caused many of the headaches along the way. We don't all drive with the throttle at 1 or 0.

That said, BMS will likely have a nice unit on their hands with the G4 and Pro boards as they have embraced what should have been done from the beginning. But hindsight is 20/20...
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST