E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Lighting / Electronics / Audio / Security > Least Expensive Canbus HID's (foglights) Review

09-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Least Expensive Canbus HID's (foglights) Review

Please view our official lighting thread.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 05-01-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      09-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
hipertech
Major

Drives: F30

looking good ! got to order a set for my foglights
hipertech is offline   No_Country
      09-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertech View Post
looking good ! got to order a set for my foglights

Just a reminder most of you BMW guys will want CANBUS HID's. If you have other cars, he can get other bulbs, most of which will be regular HID's. Price for those starts at $75 depending on the car.
      09-27-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
Robben@ltbmw

Drives: E90 Space Grey

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Robben@ltbmw
I think these will still throw codes on the pre 07 e92s. I have yet to find anything that won't throw errors on these cars.
Robben@ltbmw is offline   United_States
      09-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbplanet View Post
I think these will still throw codes on the pre 07 e92s. I have yet to find anything that won't throw errors on these cars.
edit - We have found a specific kit that works now. Proven!

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 10-08-2010 at 11:12 AM.
      09-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
alfaroe2
Private

Drives: Black Sapphire Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
I dont have a pre07, so I cant say, but they work on my car.

What is so special or different about those specific cars? I never looked into it?

IDK if those are canbus or not, but these are canbus HID so they communicate with the car differently then basic HID kits.

If anyone has a pre07 Local to me, we could try it out just to put a nail in the coffin about the whole bit.
Hey,w heres your location?? IM in North Jersey
      09-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Robben@ltbmw

Drives: E90 Space Grey

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Robben@ltbmw
make sure your manufacture date is pre march 07 though, idk why but those cars always gets the errors while the rest of e92s don't. (one example is the RD angel eyes or any other LED angel eyes out there that claims to be error free, except lux)
Robben@ltbmw is offline   United_States
      09-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions

Im here with alfaroe and we currently have a completely error free plug and play kit working for pre lci 06 07 models..... pics to come as well.

Fred from high performance bulbs drove 60 miles just to make this work!

So...these did require a specife ballast to work. So not all canbus ballast work.

More info to come but for now we have working solution.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 09-28-2010 at 10:32 PM.
      10-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
alfaroe2
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
Im here with alfaroe and we currently have a completely error free plug and play kit working for pre lci 06 07 models..... pics to come as well.

Fred from high performance bulbs drove 60 miles just to make this work!

So...these did require a specife ballast to work. So not all canbus ballast work.

More info to come but for now we have working solution.
ITS official the kit that I received and had installe don my car by Jeff and Fred works flawlessly!! I fell in love with my car all over again! Now that I went over this hurdle with lighting/errors I can finally move onto rims and tints. My only regret is not meeting you guys sooner, instead I kept buying more error cancellers (that were overpriced by vendors), and/or hid canbus kits, or trying to do the capacitor trick. FOR ANYBODY looking to mod their headlights/foglight hid's that has a pre March '07 bimmer I highly recommend getting this kit. It works amazing, I cant believe thats my car in those pics!!!
      10-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
alfaroe2
Private

FYI, just a note. In the pics IDk why but the fogs look kind of blu-ish but I can say that they arent blue at all because I hate blue lights! In person they are actually super super white, and they are awesome when driving in the woods (Sussex County) and trying to dodge deer!!
      10-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions

Ah yes! As I mentioned in my first post, my camera likes to make some of the lights look more blue. It has to do with the white balance.

As always, I forewarn people when looking at pics of lights, you will never get an accurate representation without seeing them in person. Unless of course the picture taker/editor actually takes the time to adjust the pic to what the naked eye sees in person.
      10-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
original732

Drives: 2010 328xi

excellent
      10-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
Boostin335
Major

Drives: sl600 z06 supra sti 996tt m3

The angel eye kit he can do in other kelvins right? Not just your yellowish?

How much are the angel eye kits? It comes with the angel eyes or only the bulbs for the angel eyes, basically is it complete assembly for angel eyes and price?!
Boostin335 is offline   United_States
      10-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #14
Jeff@TopGearSolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_2get View Post
alfaroe2, would you know if this was what was installed on your car ? --> http://highperformancebulbs.com/hipexeh11pla1.html

i've got a 2007 3281 sedan (pre-lci) w/ bi-xenon. just wanted to make sure it'll work on my car and will not throw in any error before i buy it online. tnx.
Yes, that is for the Pre-lci models!

If you guys have any sales questions, for faster response email the owner.

Sales@highperformancebulbs.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin335 View Post
The angel eye kit he can do in other kelvins right? Not just your yellowish?

How much are the angel eye kits? It comes with the angel eyes or only the bulbs for the angel eyes, basically is it complete assembly for angel eyes and price?!
Yes, he can get various colors.

Email is on the website for any sales questions.
      10-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #15
csupernova
Captain

Drives: E90 330i

I ordered the HID kit from them. Let's see if it throws error code on my 330i once installed.

ez_2get, the fog is mounted at a pretty low level and I'm not sure if it it will blind oncoming drivers. I have seen some cars using HID on their fog and they are bright but it didn't really blind me though.

Last edited by csupernova; 10-08-2010 at 09:27 AM.
      10-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #16
Bighorns
bimmer newb

Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

Quote:
to those who converted their e90 pre lci fogs H11 halogen to HID, is the glare acceptable? do you once in a while (or quite often) get flashes from oncoming drivers? i know for a fact that using HID on a housing designed for halogen bulb is not recommended. to quote http://autotips.plentycar.com/convert-your-car-to-hid/ :

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

The reason is improper use of HID lighting systems and their unintentional blinding of drivers. A lot of inexperienced drivers put HID into halogen headlights, obviously not designed for such a system. Most halogen headlights use reflector type housing. Light from a halogen bulb is directed out to the reflective pieces of the headlight housing and than reflected onto the road, whereas the lighting from an HID bulb is focused directly onto the road. If the HID bulbs are put into a reflective type housing the light will be directed incorrectly and the focus of the HID bulbs are misdirected as well. In this case the light is being directed elsewhere and actually being directed onto other motorists.

don't you just hate is when the car on the opposite lane had HID on a halogen housing? way too bright. i've done this in my other vehicle. After a few days trying to adjust alignment so as not to blind oncoming drivers, i gave up and reinstalled the stock halogen. it just won't work to a level decent enough that other drivers won't complain by flashing at you.

so, is converting fog from H11 halogen to HID (without changing housing) worth it?
I've seriously considered modding my fogs for this very purpose; to flash at opposing cars running HID's in a halogen reflector!
Bighorns is offline   United_States
      10-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions

Quote:
to those who converted their e90 pre lci fogs H11 halogen to HID, is the glare acceptable? do you once in a while (or quite often) get flashes from oncoming drivers? i know for a fact that using HID on a housing designed for halogen bulb is not recommended. to quote http://autotips.plentycar.com/convert-your-car-to-hid/ :

The reason is improper use of HID lighting systems and their unintentional blinding of drivers. A lot of inexperienced drivers put HID into halogen headlights, obviously not designed for such a system. Most halogen headlights use reflector type housing. Light from a halogen bulb is directed out to the reflective pieces of the headlight housing and than reflected onto the road, whereas the lighting from an HID bulb is focused directly onto the road. If the HID bulbs are put into a reflective type housing the light will be directed incorrectly and the focus of the HID bulbs are misdirected as well. In this case the light is being directed elsewhere and actually being directed onto other motorists.

don't you just hate is when the car on the opposite lane had HID on a halogen housing? way too bright. i've done this in my other vehicle. After a few days trying to adjust alignment so as not to blind oncoming drivers, i gave up and reinstalled the stock halogen. it just won't work to a level decent enough that other drivers won't complain by flashing at you.

so, is converting fog from H11 halogen to HID (without changing housing) worth it?
The foglights still have a cut off line, so they dont glare. The light distance for foglights is generally out the first 15 feet. So it would hardly glare people to begin with.

When you convert a halogen bulb to HID, glare usually occurs when the stock bulb housing doesnt have a clean cut off line. In our case BMW did their research and provided that anyway.

FWIW I never got flashed once, and I drive in areas where peope are quick to complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csupernova View Post
I ordered the HID kit from them. Let's see if it throws error code on my 330i once installed.

ez_2get, the fog is mounted at a pretty low level and I'm not sure if it it will blind oncoming drivers. I have seen some cars using HID on their fog and they are bright but it didn't really blind me though.
Didnt throw errors on a 328 Pre LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
I've seriously considered modding my fogs for this very purpose; to flash at opposing cars running HID's in a halogen reflector!
      10-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #18
alfaroe2
Private

Quote:

Short answer......... hell yes!!!!! Make syour car looks beautiful. Plus it shouldnt glare that much since foglights disperse lights down and to the sides, the beam shouldnt be hitting anybody's line of vision(even with glare)
      10-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #19
scottp999
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Great post. Thanks JPSlick
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
      10-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #20
csupernova
Captain

Drives: E90 330i

I just installed the HID kit from highperformancebulbs.com. No error on my 06' 330i.
Love the light output and I could see the road much clearer! Fred from highperformancebulbs is really helpful and patient in answering my questions. The kit comes securely packed. Everything is included and just plug and play. Highly recommended !!!! I got the 6000K bulbs. It looks yellowish in the pics but in reality, it is white with little hint of blue.

Thanks JPSlick for letting us know about this!

Last edited by csupernova; 10-11-2010 at 07:27 AM.
      10-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #21
misterba
Milan

Drives: 2007 E90 328i

Send a message via Skype™ to misterba
WOW. It looks beautifull. You are the reason why I pull some money out of my bank account...LOL.
misterba is offline   United_States
      10-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by csupernova View Post
I just installed the HID kit from highperformancebulbs.com. No error on my 06' 330i.
Love the light output and I could see the road much clearer! Fred from highperformancebulbs is really helpful and patient in answering my questions. The kit comes securely packed. Everything is included and just plug and play. Highly recommended !!!! I got the 6000K bulbs. It looks yellowish in the pics but in reality, it is white with little hint of blue.

Thanks JPSlick for letting us know about this!
I told you they would work.

What angel eyes are you running might I ask.

They appear nice in the dark pictures, how are they in the day?

Details Details!

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 10-10-2010 at 06:49 PM.