E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i or 335xi



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #45
BRAISKI
Colonel
Spain
98

 
BRAISKI's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GTA/KW, Canada


Posts: 2,390
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Depends on what you want and where you live.

I got AWD since I live in Canada and since I snowboard. Going to the mountains, AWD with winter tires will be "easy" drive. I know some ppl with the "i" with winter tires and they still have hard time driving in the mountains. But thats only when going snowboarding, you have to think of everyday use.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #46
ptd23
Private
United_States
7

 
Drives: 2011 335is
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Carolinas


Posts: 70
iTrader: (0)

im still trying to figure out if i want a coupe or sedan. every car that i have owned were 2 doors. i been lookin around and couldnt find a sedan fully loaded.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #47
BTM
Banned
United_States
237

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!


Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Here are some figures pertaining to weight from BMW

335i

E90 MT; AT
Weight: 3593 lbs; 3605 lbs
Distribution: 50.9/49.1%; 51.1/48.9%

E92 MT; AT
Weight: 3560 lbs; 3582 lbs
Distribution: 51.2/48.9%; 51.4/48.6%

335i xDrive

E90 MT; AT
Weight: 3814 lbs; 3824 lbs
Distribution: 53.8/46.2%; 53.9/46.1%

E92 MT; AT
Weight: 3582 lbs*; 3759 lbs
Distribution: 52.2/47.8%; 53.1/46.9%

*This seems out of line, but is what is listed on BMWUSA.com and unnecessary in the following %change calculations

Aside from the steering feel, which to me was obvious, these differences are not great, as for...

...Sedans there is ~6.5% deviation in weight and ~5.9/6.1% deviation in distribution
...Coupes there is ~5.6% deviation in weight and ~3.7/4.3% deviation in distribution

These figures are not great, but exist and are quantifiable. The E90 335i 6MT has the best weight distribution, and the E92 335i 6MT is the lightest. These are the two one would expect to handle best. However, handling is very a subjective matter, and the increased grip of xDrive very well could translate into quicker acceleration and higher cornering speeds, at the expense of braking.

This is just an attempt to introduce some cited objectivity into the discussion. I purposely chose numbers that are unable to be influenced by external factors such as gas, driver, tires, conditions, and other nuances. These numbers also support my subjective observation that I preferred the handling characteristics of an E90 335i over those of the E90 335i xDrive (ZSP) and E92 335i xDrive (non ZSP), both of which I've gotten as loaner vehicles. I am not saying xDrive sucks and that no one should buy it. Just that I posted my opinion, it was ridiculed and supposedly supported by objective evidence which turned out to be unverifiable.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #48
markinva
Lieutenant
United_States
10

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boxster S


Posts: 403
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Here are some figures pertaining to weight from BMW

335i

E90 MT; AT
Weight: 3593 lbs; 3605 lbs
Distribution: 50.9/49.1%; 51.1/48.9%

E92 MT; AT
Weight: 3560 lbs; 3582 lbs
Distribution: 51.2/48.9%; 51.4/48.6%

335i xDrive

E90 MT; AT
Weight: 3814 lbs; 3824 lbs
Distribution: 53.8/46.2%; 53.9/46.1%

E92 MT; AT
Weight: 3582 lbs*; 3759 lbs
Distribution: 52.2/47.8%; 53.1/46.9%

*This seems out of line, but is what is listed on BMWUSA.com and unnecessary in the following %change calculations

Aside from the steering feel, which to me was obvious, these differences are not great, as for...

...Sedans there is ~6.5% deviation in weight and ~5.9/6.1% deviation in distribution
...Coupes there is ~5.6% deviation in weight and ~3.7/4.3% deviation in distribution

These figures are not great, but exist and are quantifiable. The E90 335i 6MT has the best weight distribution, and the E92 335i 6MT is the lightest. These are the two one would expect to handle best. However, handling is very a subjective matter, and the increased grip of xDrive very well could translate into quicker acceleration and higher cornering speeds, at the expense of braking.

This is just an attempt to introduce some cited objectivity into the discussion. I purposely chose numbers that are unable to be influenced by external factors such as gas, driver, tires, conditions, and other nuances. These numbers also support my subjective observation that I preferred the handling characteristics of an E90 335i over those of the E90 335i xDrive (ZSP) and E92 335i xDrive (non ZSP), both of which I've gotten as loaner vehicles. I am not saying xDrive sucks and that no one should buy it. Just that I posted my opinion, it was ridiculed and supposedly supported by objective evidence which turned out to be unverifiable.
what about he 100% increase in traction that xdrive offers. That's also quantifiable.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #49
BTM
Banned
United_States
237

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!


Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by markinva View Post
what about he 100% increase in traction that xdrive offers. That's also quantifiable.
Traction depends just as much on conditions and tire selections as it does the number of drive wheels. Your 100% increase, which I'm assuming you arrived at by simply calculating the percent change from 2 to 4 drive wheels, is correctly stated as just that - the xDrive has a 100% increase in the number of drive wheels. This says nothing about how it this increase in the number of drive wheels translates into the cars ability to change direction.

Handling is not simply a case of more grip or higher speed is better. A faster lap time does not mean a car handles better. It means it sustains a higher average speed around that particular track. Handling is very much about how a car does something rather than how quickly it does something. I chose weight figures because they are hard figures and are commonly accepted indicators to the desirability of a particular cars handling.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #50
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
80

 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston


Posts: 3,955
iTrader: (1)

All I can say is that tire choice is MUCH more crucial then Xdrive...in rain, snow, and dry. I would also take LSD vs xdrive any day, and I would take Quattro vs Xdrive also any day
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #51
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
20

 
Drives: 2013 335 Xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VANCOUVER


Posts: 434
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
All I can say is that tire choice is MUCH more crucial then Xdrive...in rain, snow, and dry. I would also take LSD vs xdrive any day, and I would take Quattro vs Xdrive also any day
I agree tires are crucial.....so I guess you have 4 separate sets of tires that you change each morning depending on the temperature or if it is dry or wet
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #52
BTM
Banned
United_States
237

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!


Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACEMANRICK View Post
I agree tires are crucial.....so I guess you have 4 separate sets of tires that you change each morning depending on the temperature or if it is dry or wet
There are summer performance tires with both excellent dry and wet traction. The same exists for winter tires for dry and snowy conditions. For dry conditions, temperature is just as much a factor as the threat of snow. I can't remember it off the top of my head but I believe the time to switch to winter rubber when temperatures will sustain in the mid to high 30s (Fahrenheit) and below. Maybe I'm being overtly simplistic, but this is how many have arrived at a simple 2 set system.

Summer performance for (depending on location) mid-March through mid-November
Winter/snow for mid-November through mid-March

Would having a dedicated set for warm dry, warm wet, cold dry, and cold wet offer better traction? Yes, but most consider this to be overkill. While the line is less defined in the i/xi debate, there are many who think xDrive is overkill for what they want their car to do, and the perceived negatives outweigh the aggregate increase in grip. It's simple cost-benefit and it's subjective to what one prefers in the overall driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #53
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
80

 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston


Posts: 3,955
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACEMANRICK View Post
I agree tires are crucial.....so I guess you have 4 separate sets of tires that you change each morning depending on the temperature or if it is dry or wet
I hope that a joke.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #54
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
80

 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston


Posts: 3,955
iTrader: (1)

Change temp is in low 40s as far as I remember.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #55
BTM
Banned
United_States
237

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!


Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Change temp is in low 40s as far as I remember.
I wasn't sure...I want to say 38* but maybe that's the optimal temperature to chill champagne to? No wait...that's 45*....I'll change mine over as soon as temperatures sustain below 40. Maybe Dunlop has optimal operating temperature specifications I'll ask my mechanic...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #56
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
34

 
JulieDriving's Avatar
 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada


Posts: 2,308
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
If you want the sports suspension, you need to get the RWD version. You can't get it with x-drive, even with the M-Sport package.
__________________
2013 M3 coupe (Azurite Black, Black, Piano Black)
+ miata nut (2 miatas) + Mk6 GTI 5-door hatch (our mini-SUV )
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #57
BRAISKI
Colonel
Spain
98

 
BRAISKI's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GTA/KW, Canada


Posts: 2,390
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
If you want the sports suspension, you need to get the RWD version. You can't get it with x-drive, even with the M-Sport package.
Which is unfortunate, but you can always lower it later


OP just remember that the xDrive was not designed for performance it was more designed for safety.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #58
ptd23
Private
United_States
7

 
Drives: 2011 335is
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Carolinas


Posts: 70
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
If you want the sports suspension, you need to get the RWD version. You can't get it with x-drive, even with the M-Sport package.
yeah i want the sports the suspension. but idk if i want the coupe or the sedan i got my mind set on the 335i over the xi. but are there any other differences besides the 2 doors? i also want the m-sport package also.

Last edited by ptd23; 10-13-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #59
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
69

 
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh


Posts: 1,901
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAISKI View Post
OP just remember that the xDrive was not designed for performance it was more designed for safety.

I've seen this comment said a few times but still don't know what people mean by it.

Can someone please explain?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #60
Laguna3
E90 NOOB
Canada
6

 
Drives: N55 E92 Msport
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 905


Posts: 260
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Here are some figures pertaining to weight from BMW

335i

E92 MT; AT
Weight: 3560 lbs; 3582 lbs
Distribution: 51.2/48.9%; 51.4/48.6%

335i xDrive

E92 MT; AT
Weight: 3582 lbs*; 3759 lbs
Distribution: 52.2/47.8%; 53.1/46.9%
So there's only 22lbs difference in weight between the e92 i and xi ? I thought there was more (like 200lbs).

I wanted just the i, but 2011 e92 i does not have the MSport option up here in Canada, only for the xi.

However, driving in the rain was great with the xDrive, so no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #61
ruxp
Captain
30

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minneapolis


Posts: 700
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
I've seen this comment said a few times but still don't know what people mean by it.

Can someone please explain?
The short explanation is that people are just parroting something they heard, but don't actually have any understanding of.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #62
EmjayDavis
Captain
Canada
32

 
EmjayDavis's Avatar
 
Drives: Batmobile
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto


Posts: 717
iTrader: (0)

Xdrive 4 wheel drive
i is RWD

go with the "i" trust me
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #63
BTM
Banned
United_States
237

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!


Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna3 View Post
So there's only 22lbs difference in weight between the e92 i and xi ? I thought there was more (like 200lbs).

I wanted just the i, but 2011 e92 i does not have the MSport option up here in Canada, only for the xi.

However, driving in the rain was great with the xDrive, so no regrets.
If you'll note the asterisk I did mention that the weight for the E92xi MT does not seem to be in line with the rest of the numbers. It is however what is reported on BMW's website. Looking at the difference between E92 AT i/xi at 177lbs seems to be more in line with the rest of the weight differences for the E90 chassis
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #64
Laguna3
E90 NOOB
Canada
6

 
Drives: N55 E92 Msport
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 905


Posts: 260
iTrader: (0)

^ Yes, that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #65
jmar0351
Second Lieutenant
United_States
9

 
Drives: 11 335i e92
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY


Posts: 277
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinva View Post
Those results must be doctored.... a 335 didn't come in first! (sorry for the , I had to do it)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #66
umlaut335
Alaskan Umlaut
United_States
0

 
umlaut335's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Anchorage, AK


Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Live in Alaska so the XI is an absolute must. If I thought I stood a chance with RWD and a good set of snow tires (even if they were studded), I'd be driving an M3.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST