E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 'RIM Smart Phone Integration' worth getting Blackberry Torch over Iphone 4?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
Doctor T
Private First Class
 
Doctor T's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E90 LCI M-Sport N55 RWD 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posts: 191
iTrader: (0)

'RIM Smart Phone Integration' worth getting Blackberry Torch over Iphone 4?

I don't know if anybody has this RIM Smart Phone Integration yet, but I'm looking at getting a new phone to replace my WinMobile HTC Diamond.

My 2011 335i on order will be my first bimmer w/ bluetooth and I'd like to get the most out of it.

While the iPhone looks more slick, it seems to me the BlackBerry Torch wins in terms of BMW connectivity features unless I'm missing something(?) Any reason for me not to get the BlackBerry? I don't understand the value of the new 'Ipod Out' interface or if my car will have it.

The phone will be for personal use, not business. Any thoughts/ opinions welcome.
Doctor T is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
335isGuy
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 335is, E36 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CYKZ - Toronto

Posts: 768
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1997 Bmw M3  [0.00]
2011 Bmw 335is  [0.00]
I believe it's still in Europe only. I asked my buddy at my dealer and said they don't know if it's coming or when?
335isGuy is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
bdardashti
Captain
 
bdardashti's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E90 328i xDrive
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 986
iTrader: (2)

Hey Doctor, you won't have iPod Out yet. That's coming in calendar year 2011. It MAY be upgradable on cars produced after September, since they said one of the advantages of September production's TCU is that it is upgradeable down the road...

Now as far as connectivity, from what I've read, the only extra you'll get from a Blackberry integrating with iDrive as opposed to iPhone 4 is email on the screen and calendars. A fellow poster from England mentioned he saw his SMS on the iDrive screen of a F10 he test drove, and he had the iPhone 4. You'll also get better entertainment integration, with iPod and cover art support, as well as Bluetooth music streaming.

I'd go for the iPhone; it's easier to use, more consumer oriented, better apps, and in my opinion, better web and email experience as well. You'll get answers both ways though, so you'll have to check them out and see which one you prefer. I also prefer the iPhone's keyboard which in my opinion is faster than a physical keyboard once you get used to it.
bdardashti is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
bdardashti
Captain
 
bdardashti's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E90 328i xDrive
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 986
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335isGuy View Post
I believe it's still in Europe only. I asked my buddy at my dealer and said they don't know if it's coming or when?
No this is coming here as well. It was posted in a BMW NA bulletin back in July. The features may differ, but as far as the bulletin specified, we're getting it as well.
bdardashti is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Doctor T
Private First Class
 
Doctor T's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E90 LCI M-Sport N55 RWD 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posts: 191
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
Hey Doctor, you won't have iPod Out yet. That's coming in calendar year 2011. It MAY be upgradable on cars produced after September, since they said one of the advantages of September production's TCU is that it is upgradeable down the road...

Now as far as connectivity, from what I've read, the only extra you'll get from a Blackberry integrating with iDrive as opposed to iPhone 4 is email on the screen and calendars. A fellow poster from England mentioned he saw his SMS on the iDrive screen of a F10 he test drove, and he had the iPhone 4. You'll also get better entertainment integration, with iPod and cover art support, as well as Bluetooth music streaming.

I'd go for the iPhone; it's easier to use, more consumer oriented, better apps, and in my opinion, better web and email experience as well. You'll get answers both ways though, so you'll have to check them out and see which one you prefer. I also prefer the iPhone's keyboard which in my opinion is faster than a physical keyboard once you get used to it.
Thanks bdardashti. I do like the iPhone for the reasons you mentioned, but just a few clarifications:

- I thought the 'Bluetooth music streaming' was a RIM integration feature not iPod according to the sticky post, although I don't see why it would be limited to a RIM phone.
- From what I've read, the BlackBerry email and text messages would not only be onscreen, but also read aloud to you a la text-to-speech, which seems pretty cool to me. Is the Cover Flow only for iPod - I would've thought any mp3 w/ cover art would work even from USB key for example - no?
Doctor T is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
 
campbelly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 546
iTrader: (3)

have you guys even used/held the torch? its shit...a paperweight, its top heavy and the OS is garbage...clearly you know what choice i made already but i think you should try it out first, me and my bro really didnt like it but thats my $.02
__________________
campbelly is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
ChasVS
Colonel
 
ChasVS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central FL

Posts: 2,432
iTrader: (10)

My RIM Storm 2 BT connects nicely on my 07 E92. It will do all you want and more with the updated features coming. Get the Blackberry!
ChasVS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Blubaron79
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Blubaron79's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 435 XDrive
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA

Posts: 1,902
iTrader: (0)

I'm still waiting for that jack-ass to post: Droid!
__________________
'14 435 XDrive: Mineral Grey, MSport, 19's, Coral Leather, Alum. Trim, Every option (except Active Cruise), MPPK, black grille, clear bra.
Blubaron79 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
bdardashti
Captain
 
bdardashti's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E90 328i xDrive
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 986
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor T View Post
Thanks bdardashti. I do like the iPhone for the reasons you mentioned, but just a few clarifications:

- I thought the 'Bluetooth music streaming' was a RIM integration feature not iPod according to the sticky post, although I don't see why it would be limited to a RIM phone.
- From what I've read, the BlackBerry email and text messages would not only be onscreen, but also read aloud to you a la text-to-speech, which seems pretty cool to me. Is the Cover Flow only for iPod - I would've thought any mp3 w/ cover art would work even from USB key for example - no?
- BT music streaming is honestly not an Apple or RIM feature - Bluetooth foundation (or w/e their name is) made it, and Apple, RIM, and BMW are all supporting it (amongst other makers). Basically any device with BT A2DP (which means stereo audio streaming) would work with the BMW system.
- That's true, it is also read out, but you can get text to speech to read a bunch of things. If the iPhone text does in fact get on the iDrive display, you'll be able to listen to those as well. But email is limited to BB, at least for the time being.

My car is here tomorrow and although I'm not taking delivery until the 25th, I'm going to drop in the next few days and check it out. I'll figure out exactly how it works with my iPhone 4 and will report back. If you don't see a post from me, feel free to msg me by Friday.
bdardashti is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #10
bimmer_335
Captain
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Plano, TX

Posts: 793
iTrader: (1)

I'd prefer iphone 4 over torch... which is POS phone in my opinion... it just looks and feels bulky.
bimmer_335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
Doctor T
Private First Class
 
Doctor T's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E90 LCI M-Sport N55 RWD 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posts: 191
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

bdardashti: definitely interested in what you can find out w/ your iPhone, thanks!
Doctor T is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
platinumcars
Private
 
Drives: e90 335
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: richmond hill

Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
- BT music streaming is honestly not an Apple or RIM feature - Bluetooth foundation (or w/e their name is) made it, and Apple, RIM, and BMW are all supporting it (amongst other makers). Basically any device with BT A2DP (which means stereo audio streaming) would work with the BMW system.
- That's true, it is also read out, but you can get text to speech to read a bunch of things. If the iPhone text does in fact get on the iDrive display, you'll be able to listen to those as well. But email is limited to BB, at least for the time being.

My car is here tomorrow and although I'm not taking delivery until the 25th, I'm going to drop in the next few days and check it out. I'll figure out exactly how it works with my iPhone 4 and will report back. If you don't see a post from me, feel free to msg me by Friday.

Keep in mind this message has been edited by 'the man' <3 hahaha whats up babak

Last edited by platinumcars; 10-19-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: external forces
platinumcars is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST