E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > need advice on changing hifi system

10-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #23
moto_noob
Private First Class

Drives: '06 e90 325i

Without the hu you think it will throw errors? I currently don't have any warranty. Also since I bought the car used, it didn't come with idrive, which I wish I can do a retrofit but too much money, so I wanted to do a carpc which will give me more functionality.
      10-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #24
brocklanders
Captain

Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
i did not read the whole post, so please re explain what you want to do. since i did not read i will just state what i did and not try to answer any of your questions until you explain further. i have had two bmws a 2000 and now an 06, i have put aftermarket head units in both. i currently have the hi-fi system in my 06 i connected the supplied wiring harness to the after market radio and clipped it in and it works great. it was explained to me that the signal comes from the radio to the amp via speaker wires then to the speakers. there for you do not need to bypass the factory amp. so basically you are using the factory amp when you change the head unit. for me the factory hi-fi system sounds very good, so i had no desire to replace the whole thing.

Last edited by brocklanders; 10-18-2010 at 10:27 PM.
      10-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #25
brocklanders
Captain

Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
[quote=cb1111;8179993]Without relocating the headunit you will almost 100% have warranty issues as there will be an error the moment they read the codes.

Relocating the unit is no guarantee that you won't have warranty issues but you won't have as many.

VP meant that it was backwards to do the HU and retain the stock speakers.[/QU

after i installed my aftermarket head unit i had my alarm activated by my dealer and of course they gave me a hard time. but had said nothing of voiding any warranty, they told me that the fiber optics in the oem radio was the center of the cars communication system so if i wanted any software changes or codes read then i would have to bring the oem radio with me when i dropped the car off for service. everything else works as in the chiming and the mileage counter etc, i have no problems at all.
      10-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #26
VP Electricity
Brigadier General

Drives: E91 XDrive

I think that the thread subject was backwards, actually - you aren't changing the HiFi system, just the HU, right?

Dude, I've worked with CarPCs. I hate them... hate. Making everything work is easiest if you use ONLY tested configs used by others, or buy a package that works.
VP Electricity is offline   United_States
      10-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #27
moto_noob
Private First Class

yes, just replacing hu. my carpc is built and is working, i'm just trying to figure getting the audio into the car. VP, can you explain to me how the harness on left (the one that goes into the oem hu) , which is used to relocate the hu, is hooked up? you plug in the harness, but where do the wires go to?
      10-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #28
VP Electricity
Brigadier General

You need to make a "T" harness out of each of those harnesses. Think about it. You want to extend the car harness using an in connector, an out connector, and a bunch of wire - and you want to split some wires off for your Car PC (note - ACC isn't in there : )
      10-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #29
moto_noob
Private First Class

if i relocate, the carpc will just be connected to the aux input in the armrest.

lets say i was relocating it to the trunk
so I would need to run each wire speaker wire from the harness on the bottom to the harness on the top correct?
      10-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #30
VP Electricity
Brigadier General

Wait a minute... there are members who have relocated and just had the HU power up and be on the CAN bus... that's what I was recommending. That just requires extending power, ground, and CAN wires.

Those aren't speaker wires. The HiFi system has F and R balanced preamp wires going from the HU to the amp in the trunk. If you want to use a Car PC with the HiFi amp, and the CarPC doesn't have speaker outs, you will want to get some RCA/balanced converter. I'm not a big fan of those - they tend to have noise - but it's been done.

So if you move the HU to the trunk and extend the harness and run the PC into the AUX, and use the steering wheel buttons, then all you have to worry about is noise on the AUX due to ground loops.
      10-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #31
moto_noob
Private First Class

if they relocate it to the trunk just by power, ground, and canbus, what's feeding audio to the amp if they are using the aux input? isn't the aux connected to the hu which then feeds that to the amp? i.e aux -> hu -> amp -> speakers ? all those bunch of wires behind the harness isnt for speakers?
      10-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #32
VP Electricity
Brigadier General

NOTHING. This disables the AUX input. It's only done so you can use your own HU, which is what you said you wanted to do.

Look, dude, you need to look at the wiring diagrams - but not a single speaker in a HiFi car is connected to the HU -they are all connected to the amp in the trunk. Ignore what the Metra harness says - that wiring is for a VW
      10-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #33
moto_noob
Private First Class

geez lol, no wonder why i was getting confused with those metra harnesses. ok i got it now i think. thanks for all the help.