E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery Registration (inserting foot in mouth now)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
325high
Second Lieutenant
15
Rep
202
Posts

 
Drives: 3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: boston

iTrader: (1)

Battery Registration (inserting foot in mouth now)

I could have posted this to the latest battery registration debate thread but I thought it'd get lost among all the pages and would be useless to future searchers. I thought it was important so I'm starting a new thread.

I just came back from the dealership where they ran a full diagnostic check for errors in the my car (I have a grabby brake issue that still has yet to be resolved). Two weeks ago, I replaced my oem battery w/ an autozone battery and i decided not to register it. In my research, I didn't find any evidence that it was worthwhile to pay $100 for registering a battery and everything I found on the forum was conjecture. Even my SA said it wasn't really necessary for a 3 series (though the 5 and 7 series have heavier electronics so it's necessary for them, he said).

In the latest battery debate thread, I argued pretty strongly that registration is a fool's expense. After seeing my diagnostic report, I'm inserting my foot in my mouth. The report was riddled with low voltage errors on several different components due to the non-registration. They registered it and the errors disappeared. Even better, the car actually feels better (could be the placebo effect but it just feels peppier).

So that seems like pretty strong evidence that registration is worthwhile. It's worth $100 to ensure voltage is correct. By the way, the use of a lead acid battery isn't an issue. The AGM battery is good if you're worried about venting.

Now I just have to figure out this damn grabby brake...

Last edited by 325high; 10-22-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
1QuikWS6's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
4,823
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage ->M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blitzburgh, PA

iTrader: (83)

Garage List
Well, there's a 'pro' for doing the registration. Good job posting this up
__________________
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
ENINTY
Banned
51
Rep
3,415
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

This is great that you posted this information. It kind of kills the debate as to whether it is worth the money to register the battery or not. I think it also proves that the manufacturer knows more about our cars than us and perhaps some of the techs we use to work on them.

It also justifies the purchase of a scan tool that can perform the battery register function for those of us who DIY.

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
23
Rep
815
Posts

 
Drives: 07 treetree5i
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (2)

Man I love being milked of my money.. Great way of BMW to take advantage of their customers. But thanks for posting this information! I read that entire battery registration debate thread and came out of it with no final answer, this post seals the deal and empties my wallet lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
Eights-n-Aces
[]D []-[] []_[] []< []\[] []_[] ']['
Eights-n-Aces's Avatar
9
Rep
418
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Convertible/Le Mans Blue/
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Weston, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
You might want to change the title to include "Battery Registration" so its easier to find by search.
__________________
2010 E93 335i M LeMans Blue
2001 E 46 330ci Coupe/silver/black/Sunroof
1999 BMW R1200C Cruiser-Ivory & Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
cb1111's Avatar
27
Rep
2,489
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: DC

iTrader: (2)

No "foot in mouth" at all. Thanks for getting us a definitive answer and for posting it.

BTW, here is the original thread

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442063
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
BTM
Banned
United_States
172
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eights-n-Aces View Post
You might want to change the title to include "Battery Registration" so its easier to find by search.
Good idea, tags added
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,720
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auger330 View Post
I could have posted this to the latest battery registration debate thread but I thought it'd get lost among all the pages and would be useless to future searchers. I thought it was important so I'm starting a new thread.

I just came back from the dealership where they ran a full diagnostic check for errors in the my car (I have a grabby brake issue that still has yet to be resolved). Two weeks ago, I replaced my oem battery w/ an autozone battery and i decided not to register it. In my research, I didn't find any evidence that it was worthwhile to pay $100 for registering a battery and everything I found on the forum was conjecture. Even my SA said it wasn't really necessary for a 3 series (though the 5 and 7 series have heavier electronics so it's necessary for them, he said).

In the latest battery debate thread, I argued pretty strongly that registration is a fool's expense. After seeing my diagnostic report, I'm inserting my foot in my mouth. The report was riddled with low voltage errors on several different components due to the non-registration. They registered it and the errors disappeared. Even better, the car actually feels better (could be the placebo effect but it just feels peppier).

So that seems like pretty strong evidence that registration is worthwhile. It's worth $100 to ensure voltage is correct. By the way, the use of a lead acid battery isn't an issue. The AGM battery is good if you're worried about venting.

No I just have to figure out this damn grabby brake...
Thanks for the follow-up! No foot in mouth. That's what this whole forum is about.
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
scrufy's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
691
Posts

 
Drives: The Short Bus
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: So. Cal.

iTrader: (0)

I havent had to do this but I thought I saw in the BT Tool while I was scrolling through to do this.
If the BT tool can do this, I would say when you need it, instead of paying BMW $100.00 to register, put that money towards a BT Tool and do it yourself plus have the BT tool for future nonsense BMW tells you.
Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
talisman311
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
289
Posts

 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Damn.. I stand corrected. BMW == breaks my wallet.

Alright, anyone know if the bavtech enthusiast version will do battery registration?
__________________
2006 e90 330i | Black/Terra | 6MT | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
325high
Second Lieutenant
15
Rep
202
Posts

 
Drives: 3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: boston

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
If the BT tool can do this, I would say when you need it, instead of paying BMW $100.00 to register, put that money towards a BT Tool and do it yourself. Just a thought.
Ya, I originally considered it but it's just not economical if it can only be used for battery registration. The registration is $90 and the tool i think is like $235. It would take a few battery registrations to make it economical.

What we should do is have a 'forum-owned' BT tool that is rented out to whoever needs it for the cost of shipping ($6?). Then they mail it to the next guy who needs it and so on. Might seem like a far fetched system but I'd try anything to avoid getting bent over by the dealership again.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
Express
Major General
Express's Avatar
Israel
129
Rep
8,701
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
i sent you the SIB i used to get my brakes covered. try another dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,720
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auger330 View Post
Ya, I originally considered it but it's just not economical if it can only be used for battery registration. The registration is $90 and the tool i think is like $235. It would take a few battery registrations to make it economical.
It does a lot more than just register the battery. If you are having car troubles (ie: fluctuating rpm, misfiring, etc, it can be used to diagnose the problem.)

When I purchased the peake tool (see my sig) for my e46 it diagnosed the exact sensor to replace when the rpms were fluctuating.
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
orangedawg
First Lieutenant
9
Rep
397
Posts

 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

The BT tool basic version (3 VIN's) won't register battery, at least I can't figure out how to do it. Have not changed battery but have disconected cable before. Now when I scan using BT, I get error code on battery, but when I clear all codes, that code/error is still present.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
1QuikWS6's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
4,823
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage ->M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blitzburgh, PA

iTrader: (83)

Garage List
I hope to all that's holy that this doesn't mean that every time you disconnect the battery it forgets the registration

Cause I've done this about 4x now for mods - nothing wrong with the car though. Wouldn't put it past them...

OK, now the next discussion/question of the day:

What is that error code you are getting on the BT RE: battery, and does it have anything to do with disconnect & registration
__________________
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
329
Rep
10,632
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by auger330 View Post
I could have posted this to the latest battery registration debate thread but I thought it'd get lost among all the pages and would be useless to future searchers. I thought it was important so I'm starting a new thread.

I just came back from the dealership where they ran a full diagnostic check for errors in the my car (I have a grabby brake issue that still has yet to be resolved). Two weeks ago, I replaced my oem battery w/ an autozone battery and i decided not to register it. In my research, I didn't find any evidence that it was worthwhile to pay $100 for registering a battery and everything I found on the forum was conjecture. Even my SA said it wasn't really necessary for a 3 series (though the 5 and 7 series have heavier electronics so it's necessary for them, he said).

In the latest battery debate thread, I argued pretty strongly that registration is a fool's expense. After seeing my diagnostic report, I'm inserting my foot in my mouth. The report was riddled with low voltage errors on several different components due to the non-registration. They registered it and the errors disappeared. Even better, the car actually feels better (could be the placebo effect but it just feels peppier).

So that seems like pretty strong evidence that registration is worthwhile. It's worth $100 to ensure voltage is correct. By the way, the use of a lead acid battery isn't an issue. The AGM battery is good if you're worried about venting.

Now I just have to figure out this damn grabby brake...
Here's a short tech article I posted a whole back on AGM batteries and registration: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=24
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #17
HPIA4v2
Captain
8
Rep
672
Posts

 
Drives: E60, E71, E92
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington

iTrader: (3)

So if you replace the batt with AGM, it needs to be registered but not if you buy regular sealed-lead-acid.
Maybe I am missing something here.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
325high
Second Lieutenant
15
Rep
202
Posts

 
Drives: 3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: boston

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
So if you replace the batt with AGM, it needs to be registered but not if you buy regular sealed-lead-acid.
Maybe I am missing something here.
No, all new batteries need to be registered so the car knows it's new. Otherwise voltage levels throughout the car will be messed up. I don't understand why it is this way exactly but my diagnostic report proved to me that it's necessary.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #19
aesfah
Max Powers
8
Rep
270
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MoCo, MD

iTrader: (0)

Just to add this this post - I recently replaced my OEM with a Pepboys battery. Initially, they installed the wrong battery (size group 92, I believe). Throwing a lot of errors and long-cranks. I took it back and they popped in a group 94. Did not register the battery. This was 2 weeks ago and the only problem I've had so far is that my adaptive headlights failed intermittently but would work again after a restart. That lasted for 2 days. No errors since.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #20
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
cb1111's Avatar
27
Rep
2,489
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: DC

iTrader: (2)

fixed it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesfah View Post
Just to add this this post - I recently replaced my OEM with a Pepboys battery. Initially, they installed the wrong battery (size group 92, I believe). Throwing a lot of errors and long-cranks. I took it back and they popped in a group 94. Did not register the battery. This was 2 weeks ago and the only problem I've had so far is that my adaptive headlights failed intermittently but would work again after a restart. That lasted for 2 days. No errors since that I know of.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #21
DJtoad
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
416
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ellicott City, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedawg View Post
The BT tool basic version (3 VIN's) won't register battery, at least I can't figure out how to do it. Have not changed battery but have disconected cable before. Now when I scan using BT, I get error code on battery, but when I clear all codes, that code/error is still present.
Yes it can. Go to Engine Module -> Commands -> Battery Replacement Adaption and then click the Send button.
__________________
2010 535i M Sport - Platinum Gray/Dakota Black/Anthracite Bamboo
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, BMS OCC, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #22
joelc73
Private First Class
1
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E90
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I hope to all that's holy that this doesn't mean that every time you disconnect the battery it forgets the registration
I was wondering the same thing... Does anyone know the answer to this?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
battery, registration

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST