E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > How Many Miles Left on Pads/Rotors?

11-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
blisstik
Major

Drives: E92

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
How Many Miles Left on Pads/Rotors?

Hey guys,

I got an E92 335i, the dash says about 11K miles let but I beg to differ so I'd like some input on how many miles do you think are left out of these?

I have CPO warranty but don't know if its covered. I'm also at 46K so only about 4K miles left. I drive to work/home about 15 miles per day.

First photo = FRONT
Second photo = REAR

Thanks,
Attached Images

11-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
aleckzandr
Major

Drives: 2009 n54 e92 xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [4.22]
It's hard to tell when you don't tell us these brake pads' history. How old are they in time and mileage (if you know)? Are these from the original owner? How much time/mileage have you put on them? Do you only drive on the street? Do you consistently drive in a 'spirited' fassion, or not? (I'm trying to gauge rate of wear.) It also looks like the rears were replaced at some point more recently than the fronts, based on DSC wear. (DSC = hell for rear brake pads.) At first look I would agree with your computer, but one ~day~ at the track could finish them.

Last edited by aleckzandr; 11-03-2010 at 03:37 PM.
aleckzandr is online now   United_States
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
blisstik
Major

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I've had the car since 27K miles and its now at 46K. Only street driven and occasionally spirited straight line driving.

I also called the dealer and they said the dash would light up if they are within 5mm = 0.19in.

How do you determine DSC wear based on just the photos?
      11-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
aleckzandr
Major

Drives: 2009 n54 e92 xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [4.22]
I stand corrected. I just went out to my garage and measured my old OEM brake pad backing plate thickness (what is between the friction material and the anti-squeel plate and then the piston/caliper), and I measured very, very close to 5mm for both front and back. (Somehow I incorrectly thought it was thicker than this.) I replaced my OEMs 10k miles for Cool Carbons and my rears were down to 5mm as well, my fronts down to 7mm. This goes against the logic of what normal brake bias would give you. My rears, and other forum members will attest to this, wore out faster and I attribute it to DSC. So based on your photos you are very close to 5mm in pad friction material thickness. At 5mm though, my rear pad sensor was ~not~ worn through and I had no warning light. So you ~are~ close, get another 2mm off and you'll get both front and rear pad warning lights (maybe even just 1mm for front)! I presume you want this to get a pad replacement before your CPO warranty expires.

Last edited by aleckzandr; 11-03-2010 at 05:39 PM.
aleckzandr is online now   United_States
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
BKV122
Major

Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [4.75]
Not covered under cpo, only covered under the original maintenance plan. But the computer is pretty accurate, as my computer told me mine had to be changed in X amount of miles then when it told me i had 0 miles left about a day or 2 later later my sensors tripped

Monaco Blue 330xi - Terra Interior/6-MT/Sport/Premium/Cold/CSL's/M3 Spoiler Lip/Black Kidney's
BKV122 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
blisstik
Major

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for confirming. I have about 4K miles left before the 50K runs out. I know CPO does not cover brake pads or rotors.

All I really want before 50K is the pads and rotors changed but if the computer is accurate, I'm off by 6K miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
I stand corrected. I just went out to my garage and measured my old OEM brake pad backing plate thickness (what is between the friction material and the anti-squeel plate and then the piston/caliper), and I measured very, very close to 5mm for both front and back. (Somehow I incorrectly thought it was thicker than this.) I replaced my OEMs 10k miles for Cool Carbons and my rears were down to 5mm as well, my fronts down to 7mm. This goes against the logic of what normal brake bias would give you. My rears, and other forum members will attest to this, wore out faster and I attribute it to DSC. So based on your photos you are very close to 5mm in pad friction material thickness. At 5mm though, my rear pad sensor was ~not~ worn through and I had no warning light. So you ~are~ close, get another 2mm off and you'll get both front and rear pad warning lights (maybe even just 1mm for front)! I presume you want this to get a pad replacement before your CPO warranty expires.
      11-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
e90pilot
Freight Dawg

Drives: E90 325i

My fronts lasted 80k miles. My rears only lasted 50k. I think the rears gave out so soon because of DSC and cruise control.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
e90pilot is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 535 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post
Thanks for confirming. I have about 4K miles left before the 50K runs out. I know CPO does not cover brake pads or rotors.

All I really want before 50K is the pads and rotors changed but if the computer is accurate, I'm off by 6K miles.
Computer is estimating, you may choose to drive and brake more aggressively and bring the car at 49900 to change the brakes. They have to measure the pads and rotors thickness and not wait to computer signal. From the picture rotors look done enough, BMW doesnt allow more than 1 mm wear on rotors I think.

2011 535 iX lemoned
OnlyTruth is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...

Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
rears are due for me pretty soon. 46k miles... need new pads and rotors very sooon... these are covered by warranty right? or is it wear/tear so i pay for it?

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
just4kickz is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0