E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Washing your car quickly (30 mins)?

11-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #23
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
Yes, that's how it works. No foaming, no rinsing. If it were to foam, you'd have to rinse it off. ONR is not soap.

Use a soft grout sponge. Get a healthy amount of liquid in it, put the sponge over the car and squeeze a little to get some of the liquid on the car. Then lightly moved the sponge over the car to get the sponge to pick up the dirt.

If you'd like, use a two-bucket method and rinse the sponge in a separate rinse bucket. Personally, I don't do that. But I understand that others are more paranoid.

Once you are happy that enough dirt is removed, lightly dry the area you just cleaned. Overall, I clean in areas, then dry. First, the hood and front. Then: the roof, the trunk and back, the sides.

You will find videos of people using ONR on YouTube if you look. It's a different method than a standard car wash.

I use a baby medicine syringe to measure the ONR. Two tablespoons in about 2 gallons of water. If you'd like, make a solution of ONR quick cleaner and pre-treat an area if there's extra dirt. 2 tablespoons per 32 fl oz bottle with distilled water.
Great advice. ONR isn't like normal shampoo and it does take some getting used to. But trust us, the stuff will not scratch your paint and is very effective at removing dirt. Head on over to Autopia if you need more evidence.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #24
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

i'll take your word. my car didn't look like it had any more scratches than usual after the wash. it just doesnt feel as slick as a more soapy wash, you know?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #25
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
I agree, the ONR solution does not feel slick like soap. But the wash solution doesn't feel like pure water either. I find dirt from the car will find its way into a "slime" in the bottom of the wash bucket. Supposedly ONR contains polymers that "encapsulate" dirt particles. Based on what I've seen, this could be an accurate statement. Just remember to use as little pressure as possible when washing and drying to try and prevent marring. I like how shiny the car looks after washing with ONR. Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #26
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
I agree, the ONR solution does not feel slick like soap. But the wash solution doesn't feel like pure water either. I find dirt from the car will find its way into a "slime" in the bottom of the wash bucket. Supposedly ONR contains polymers that "encapsulate" dirt particles. Based on what I've seen, this could be an accurate statement. Just remember to use as little pressure as possible when washing and drying to try and prevent marring. I like how shiny the car looks after washing with ONR. Looks great!
What he said about using as little pressure as possible is right on the money.

I am a big time ONR fan too, especially in the winter when I can't use my hose. So much better than just using a bucket of water.
      11-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #27
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

gave ONR another shot today

it's growing on me. it honestly just didn't FEEL as safe as soap washing, but i really don't notice any more micro scratches than usual.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #28
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Just a matter of getting used to it. I had all of the same feelings you had when I first tried the stuff years ago.

In the nice weather, I still do prefer a full wash unless I'm in a hurry. Something satisfying about the bucket of bubbles, hose, and washing the good old fashioned way. So for me it's ONR occasionally in the summer, and ONR always in early spring/late autumn/winter.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0