E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Factory orange peel - there's alot!

11-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
CRW41
Rep

Drives: BMW E46

Factory orange peel - there's alot!

I bought a 2010 328 recently. There sure is a lot of factory orange peel in the paint.

WTF - car MRSP is 50K

The last 328 I bought in 1999 (44K sticker) had none - I guess it's just s way of saving money (cheaper painting techniques and finishing).

I have a new 911 and the paint is flawless.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
acj75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW41 View Post
I bought a 2010 328 recently. There sure is a lot of factory orange peel in the paint.

WTF - car MRSP is 50K

The last 328 I bought in 1999 (44K sticker) had none - I guess it's just s way of saving money (cheaper painting techniques and finishing).

I have a new 911 and the paint is flawless.
I totally agree. I never really noticed how much I had on my car until I saw this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448638

Last edited by acj75; 11-11-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
bpsu07
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90

Send a message via AIM to bpsu07
^ +1..He did a tremendous job too!

Factories spray such a thin coat of paint/clear on now a days!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Blame the EPA.

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
Blame the EPA.
I knew that was coming. People always talk about blaming the United States Environmental Protection Agency for a car made in Europe... sigh

Real answer here: http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-it-a-problem/
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
I knew that was coming. People always talk about blaming the United States Environmental Protection Agency for a car made in Europe... sigh

Real answer here: http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-it-a-problem/
Of course it is the EPA's fault. You don't really think that European cars follow European standards, so you?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Of course it is the EPA's fault. You don't really think that European cars follow European standards, so you?
No way... why would they follow the laws of the area they're making the car (and therefor where they're creating industrial pollution)... especially when Europe's standards are higher than ours...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
Jean-Claude
Banned
Rep

Drives: m3

Quote:
No way... why would they follow the laws of the area they're making the car (and therefor where they're creating industrial pollution)... especially when Europe's standards are higher than ours...
I don't thinks it's a matter of higher standards or lower standards as much as specific laws/regulations that apply here.

BMW manufactures and paints many cars in the USA.

Truth of the matter is, between cost cutting and EPA limitations, both probably play a role. This isn't a problem that only BMW is now having. Even exotics are getting more and more orange peel in the last few years. There is a common denominator here...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [3.50]
common problem
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 02:39 AM   #10
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

The common problem is regulations getting tighter everywhere for air pollution. Europe's standards are still tighter than ours, so it's still not the EPA's fault.

If they're using a universal clear-coat on the majority of their cars; it's one that has to be to the standards of the tightest place they spray: likely in Germany. I think I gave a more clear and thorough assessment in my article on the topic:

Quote:
Volitile Organic Compounds & Pollution
VOC laws have become more and more tougher across North America and Europe over the last several decades as national and local governments try to crub pollution and the long term effects of green house gases. While this is a good thing for our health and our future generation’s health, tougher laws mean less aesthetically appealing paint jobs out of the factory as paint restrictions allow for less and less VOCs. Volitile Organic Compounds are the parts of the paint that hold the pigment molecules in an even distribution to help transport the pigment through the air in a liquid form and onto the surface. Once the paint reaches the surface, the VOCs evaporate from the finish leaving the paint to become solid and dry. If you’ve ever been around a paint shop, you’ve likely smelled the VOC’s in the air as they evaporate giving off a strong solvent scent. VOC’s are used as carriers of particles: they suspend pigment agents, urethane, polyurethane, and other molecules that will be left behind once they evaporate away. They also allow the spray-able liquid to be much less viscous: that is they thin out the liquid solution to be less like honey and more like water. The thinner the liquid is, the easier it is to atomize as it comes out of the paint gun, and the more VOCs in the liquid: the longer it will take to begin to become sticky/tackey, and the longer it will take to dry. The longer it takes for the paint to dry, the flatter the paint will end up as the drops have plenty of time to settle into a flat surface. While it could be common for paints of the past to have 75%+ VOC content (that is, 75% or more of what you spray will evaporate away), many laws today force certain products to have up to a maximum 50% VOC content or even less.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
ForTheD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e90 335i 6MT (ZSP)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Great link, thanks!
      11-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
Jean-Claude
Banned
Rep

Drives: m3

Quote:
The common problem is regulations getting tighter everywhere for air pollution. Europe's standards are still tighter than ours, so it's still not the EPA's fault.

If they're using a universal clear-coat on the majority of their cars; it's one that has to be to the standards of the tightest place they spray: likely in Germany. I think I gave a more clear and thorough assessment in my article on the topic:
I think folks agree but are viewing EPA as whatever(where ever?) government agency that is busting the balls of paint quality world wide.

I agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Claude View Post
I think folks agree but are viewing EPA as whatever(where ever?) government agency that is busting the balls of paint quality world wide.

I agree with you.
I haven't thought about it like that, but I'm sure you're right; they're the one's with a familiar name that can be blamed. While they're not solely responsible (how much falls on their shoulders can certainly be debated), they surely are part of the problem we enthusiasts are having.
Appreciate 0