E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > 335i Free BOV DIY

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  335i Free BOV DIY
Red Star Rising
04-06-2007
Since Active Autowerke insists that their BOV is worth $750, I think this little DIY is great. Not extremely loud. But noticible, and nice. Member JOEVISTA clued me in on exactly how to do it. Thanks!
By ///Matt on 04-08-2007, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
your missing the point, it does not matter if their is a vacuum in the manifold; during idle the TB is OPEN both sides of the spring occupy the same pressure zone, there would be no forces on the spring

edit: and dont tell me that theres a pressure diffrence because the throttle body is a restrictive point either because then the spring would load under boost; and leak boost (to clarify, understand there would be a diffrence, but for the spring to open under that diffrence it would also have to open under boost)

also another quick pre-empt, dont try and say the throttle body is partially closed during idle because thats not true either

did YOU ever do your little paper test?

if you can give me some other reason to believe that the spring would be loaded i will go pull off the hose myself and check

Tech...

You do realize this ISN'T a valvetronic car we're talking about? The throttle valve is only barely open at idle. There is vacuum in the intake manifold, and just slightly less than atmospheric pressure in the pre-compression side of the intake tubing. Once the turbo's spool, the pressure created then fills the intake manifold and the intake tubing, POST-compressor side... Then you take your foot off the gas, and the throttle valve closes. All remaining boost in the manifold is immediately sucked into the cylinders, and the remaining boost in the post-compression side of the tubing is vented.

If you're claiming that the throttle valve is OPEN at idle, you're imagining your 335 has valvetronic, which it doesn't.
By M3to335 on 04-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Technochild, I free'd up my PM box.
By M3to335 on 04-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Im so f-in confused right now with everyones arguments. It honestly doesnt matter to me because Im not doing it. But... I did notice at idle and partial throttle that the tubes only blew out, never in.
By boostedtwin on 04-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Why you did not do it?
By M3to335 on 04-08-2007, 08:52 AM
I already did it, and couldnt hear anything. So when I said "Im not doing it"...i meant I am not doing it again.
By boostedtwin on 04-08-2007, 09:16 AM
I will meet with Red Star today so he can test my TT and will check his setup.
By Edman951 on 04-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Teknochild,
The valve is controlled but the small vacuum hose on top of the DV.
Its that vacuum i'm refering to.

You don't seem to understand how the DV works, and the direction the valve open.

Found this site while looking for pictures to explain to you how it works.

Read this.
http://dv.mistertam.com/
By Red Star Rising on 04-08-2007, 12:03 PM
^^I will do a video of exactly what the valve is doing... THERE IS NEVER ANY AIR GOING THROUGH THAT VALVE INTO THE POST COMPRESSION INTAKE SYSTEM.
By boostedtwin on 04-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to335 View Post
I already did it, and couldnt hear anything. So when I said "Im not doing it"...i meant I am not doing it again.
Met with Alex today (Red Star Rising) and we did on my car. The hose does not suck air at all, it's always going one way only. Here's a video, I could see a difference on the noise at any time reving or driving and letting go off the gas. Nice meeting you Alex, sorry the TT did not work on yours...
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...t=MOV07942.flv
<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://smg.photobucket.com:80/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v518/sickg35/MOV07942.flv"></embed>
By Red Star Rising on 04-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedtwin View Post
Met with Alex today (Red Star Rising) and we did on my car. The hose does not suck air at all, it's always going one way only. Here's a video, I could see a difference on the noise at any time reving or driving and letting go off the gas. Nice meeting you Alex, sorry the TT did not work on yours...
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...t=MOV07942.flv
<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://smg.photobucket.com:80/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v518/sickg35/MOV07942.flv"></embed>
Nice meeting you too. Your camera catches the sound much better than mine!
By ironic on 04-08-2007, 06:23 PM
wow it does sound just like a bov
By musc on 04-09-2007, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad ///PWNS U, Maliboo! View Post
Yo, get yo 'free BOV' here and save them ducks dat die fo you tape-up-mods. How you pimps rollin 335 spend dat last benjamin so you cant buy no real BOV? U can make a "free" back-up sensor (PDC) by duk-tapin a stick 2 you bumpa an listinin fo a scrape when U go back. Haha....you sad ho's be remind me of dat Eddie Murphy joke where they be fartin in they tub 2 make a jacuzzi. Haha, cept they tub aint worth 50 rocks an they aint voidin no warant 2 make they bubbles. U need 2 mke a DIY fo some "free" sheepskin seat covas usin roadkill, or a "free" iDrive usin some old TV & VCR. I be feelin sad like when I be passin them hobo's at the stops. cept U is some rich hobos with less class an mo cash.
lol, wtf. That movie was great.
By musc on 04-09-2007, 04:46 AM
don't be frontin b-rad

By Red Star Rising on 04-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad ///PWNS U, Maliboo! View Post
Yo, get yo 'free BOV' here and save them ducks dat die fo you tape-up-mods. How you pimps rollin 335 spend dat last benjamin so you cant buy no real BOV? U can make a "free" back-up sensor (PDC) by duk-tapin a stick 2 you bumpa an listinin fo a scrape when U go back. Haha....you sad ho's be remind me of dat Eddie Murphy joke where they be fartin in they tub 2 make a jacuzzi. Haha, cept they tub aint worth 50 rocks an they aint voidin no warant 2 make they bubbles. U need 2 mke a DIY fo some "free" sheepskin seat covas usin roadkill, or a "free" iDrive usin some old TV & VCR. I be feelin sad like when I be passin them hobo's at the stops. cept U is some rich hobos with less class an mo cash.
It works, and its not a rip off.
By Red Star Rising on 04-09-2007, 11:26 AM
And the nay-sayers fell silent.
By boostedtwin on 04-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Hey Alex, I got the TT to work... I was trying on the wrong Tmap sensor.
By Red Star Rising on 04-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedtwin View Post
Hey Alex, I got the TT to work... I was trying on the wrong Tmap sensor.
HOw does it feel??
By ///Matt on 04-09-2007, 12:47 PM
The nay-sayers fell silent because you fail to listen to reason and logic, or even fact based advice. You're happy with your mod, and that's all that counts.
By boostedtwin on 04-09-2007, 01:06 PM
TT feels strong, very nice upgrade for the car. The turbo is louder now...
By Terry335 on 04-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Caught this one late, but his mod will work with no il effects. I'd suggest you butt the air intake hoses together with a fitting rather than the ghetto-tape job, but it serves the same purpose. Nice way to vent off a little turbo heat and get a "blow off" valve effect for no cost.
By boostedtwin on 04-09-2007, 01:43 PM
That's how I did facing the hoses upwards.
By Red Star Rising on 04-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Im actually gonna plug one of the hoses themselves. I'm thinking that all the air forced out of one tube alone will make the blow off louder.
Comment