E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Falken HS439 Winters?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-09-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
YvesD
Lamininist
YvesD's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
898
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (3)

Falken HS439 Winters?

Guys,

Anyone have experience of the new Falken HS439 M+S winter tyre?

Quite fancy the look of them myself.

Cheers

Yves
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 05:20 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
doughboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
6,384
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

They've been around a while and have great reviews in the US etc, but they weren't imported to the UK as of last winter.

Have you found a UK stockist?
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
YvesD
Lamininist
YvesD's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
898
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
They've been around a while and have great reviews in the US etc, but they weren't imported to the UK as of last winter.

Have you found a UK stockist?
Hi,

Mytyres are listing them amongst others.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
doughboy
Major General
doughboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
6,384
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

I found my tyres listed lots of tyres that they couldn't actually supply to you.

Best give em a ring.
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
YvesD
Lamininist
YvesD's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
898
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I found my tyres listed lots of tyres that they couldn't actually supply to you.

Best give em a ring.

A colleague has just had a pair of 265/30 19 Wintrac Extremes delivered from them for his Alpina with no problem.

Good idea to check though.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
doughboy
Major General
doughboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
6,384
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Can't rate the vreds highly enough, although any high performancee tyre thats M+S* rated will be great IMO.
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
YvesD
Lamininist
YvesD's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
898
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Can't rate the vreds highly enough, although any high performancee tyre thats M+S* rated will be great IMO.
Vreds would be my preference but they dont do a 255/35 rear, I wonder what it would look like sat on Wintrac 235/40's all round??
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
willhollin
Major General
willhollin's Avatar
England
123
Rep
9,918
Posts

 
Drives: VW T5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Worcestershire

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesD View Post
Vreds would be my preference but they dont do a 255/35 rear, I wonder what it would look like sat on Wintrac 235/40's all round??
Maybe look a bit strange but at least you can rotate the tyres.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
jasonprice07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
1
Rep
125
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kent

iTrader: (0)

I have the Falkens fitted to my 320D, I have much more confidence when driving in this bad weather, only dissapointing thing is they did not stop me getting stuck in the works car park, like most car parks my company will not clear it and it has turned very icey. I ended up having to use the wifes 1.4l FWD hyundai on Goodyear winter tyres, that made mincemeat of the snow.

Jason
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
YvesD
Lamininist
YvesD's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
898
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonprice07 View Post
I ended up having to use the wifes 1.4l FWD hyundai on Goodyear winter tyres, that made mincemeat of the snow.

Jason
But what about the icy carpark?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #11
F104
Captain
Belgium
8
Rep
727
Posts

 
Drives: E92 320D M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: belgium

iTrader: (0)

I'v got the Falken M+S 439; second season now on old 16" BBS rims, 34 offset, 225 all around. Yes rear does not look sexy (255-225=30, /2=15, less 37-34 offset=3, so they sit 12mm more inside. Its winter! no-one looking at my tyres, nor do I care.

Performance? day and night. I can stop on a fairly steep slope covered in snow and go (with and w/o DTC). I blast everyone else out of the fast lane covered it sleet/snow (didn't intend to, but once your realise you can drive ok with the right tyres it becomes difficult to stay behind X on worn out summers in the fast lane). You won't know how much of an improvement a M+S is you until you tried it. Any M+S brand will do, but Falken was fairly cheap in my case
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
M3-FAST's Avatar
England
84
Rep
5,791
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M5 LCi
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stafford, UK

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesD View Post
Vreds would be my preference but they dont do a 255/35 rear, I wonder what it would look like sat on Wintrac 235/40's all round??
You running 18's or 19's?

I have Vreds in 255/35/19 rears on the M3 - fronts are 235/35/19

I had to drop down from 265/245 asthey were unavailable in those sizes. Rolling radius is very slightly different which has caused me 2 issues

1 - speedo is slightly more optimistic, but no big drama's as I always use the Pogo Alert mph display as my speed reference anyway

2- more annoyingly, with the car lowered and having the splitter fitted, it now scrapes it's chin on every speed cushion I go over

Hey ho, a small price to pay for having supreme grip and confidence in this crap weather
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
YvesD
Lamininist
YvesD's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
898
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
You running 18's or 19's?
18's. Thinking of getting a set of OEM/Replica 17's for wider/cheaper winter tyre choice though.

One big problem I've discovered with the exceptional weather this last week is that it wouldnt matter if I had winters on, the 10 inch deep ice ruts on the ungritted village road outside my house meant I couldnt get the car safely off the drive anyway!

She hasnt moved for 11 days....

Yves
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
YvesD
Lamininist
YvesD's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
898
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F104 View Post
I'v got the Falken M+S 439; second season now on old 16" BBS rims, 34 offset, 225 all around. Yes rear does not look sexy (255-225=30, /2=15, less 37-34 offset=3, so they sit 12mm more inside. Its winter! no-one looking at my tyres, nor do I care.

Performance? day and night. I can stop on a fairly steep slope covered in snow and go (with and w/o DTC). I blast everyone else out of the fast lane covered it sleet/snow (didn't intend to, but once your realise you can drive ok with the right tyres it becomes difficult to stay behind X on worn out summers in the fast lane). You won't know how much of an improvement a M+S is you until you tried it. Any M+S brand will do, but Falken was fairly cheap in my case
Good feedback Bro, thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 05:00 AM   #15
jasonprice07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
1
Rep
125
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kent

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesD View Post
But what about the icy carpark?
It was too icy so I left my car in the garage and took the wifes
Hope this makes sence.

Jason
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 05:23 AM   #16
///ajd
Colonel
///ajd's Avatar
France
43
Rep
2,303
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330d Touring
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...

iTrader: (1)

I've had these 439s for 4 years now.

Here they are doing some minor offroading in the local hypermarche.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #17
YvesD
Lamininist
YvesD's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
898
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonprice07 View Post
It was too icy so I left my car in the garage and took the wifes
Hope this makes sence.

Jason
Certainly does.

My wifes car has seen snow plough duties for the past two weeks too

Quite good at it actually......
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #18
YvesD
Lamininist
YvesD's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
898
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
I've had these 439s for 4 years now.

Here they are doing some minor offroading in the local hypermarche.
Looks like theyve changed the tread pattern for the latest ones. More like a conventional summer tyre tread pattern now.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST