E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > badly worn tyres update



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Bobo
New Member
2
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: 320 D SE E90
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Angry badly worn tyres update

further to my previous post about the tyre wear on my front tyres after only 15k miles I decided to call at the local dealer and see what they thought of the excessive wear
Service manager looked at tyres and said "probably wrong pressure"
No I said I checked pressure this morning and it's perfect as per door pillar scale
"might be alignment then..........."
"is 15k not a low mileage for this amount of damage to be apparent ?"

The guy then said it depended on " driving style "

He made it clear that neither garage or BMW would help with cost of replacement tyres

I now have 2 illegal front tyres and am faced with a bill of 300+

I am seriously hacked off about this ...................any advice folks ??
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Raggie
Private First Class
2
Rep
110
Posts

 
Drives: E93 325I M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Sorry no advice.. but I am normally happy with any tyre lasting more than 10K miles.. I guess it could be my driving style.. ???
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
gordonrp
Awaiting delivery!
England
0
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 330I SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggie View Post
Sorry no advice.. but I am normally happy with any tyre lasting more than 10K miles.. I guess it could be my driving style.. ???
Ugh, tyres should last 20k+ shouldnt they?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
18LLC
Major General
67
Rep
5,095
Posts

 
Drives: e89
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

normal driving, summer max performance tires will be 35,000 miles, all season ultra high performance tires will be 40,000 miles to 50,000 miles. that's if you running 17" or 18". low profile tires will wear out faster.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 01:44 AM   #5
rjs
Major
rjs's Avatar
England
15
Rep
1,281
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK (West Mids)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [5.00]
My fronts (Michelin Pilot Sports) were illegal after just 12k on current car!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 02:57 AM   #6
Scoot
Lieutenant
Scoot's Avatar
6
Rep
458
Posts

 
Drives: Audi A8 3.0tdi Quattro
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK/Herefordshire

iTrader: (0)

Getting upset that a dealer won't replace your tyres when you have done 15 k is a bit optimistic at best.
And where can i buy Ultra High Performance tyres that will do 40000/50000 on a set ?
I must be a racing driver as im well happy if i get 15/18K from a pair of tyres !
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 03:45 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
further to my previous post about the tyre wear on my front tyres after only 15k miles I decided to call at the local dealer and see what they thought of the excessive wear
Service manager looked at tyres and said "probably wrong pressure"
No I said I checked pressure this morning and it's perfect as per door pillar scale
"might be alignment then..........."
"is 15k not a low mileage for this amount of damage to be apparent ?"

The guy then said it depended on " driving style "

He made it clear that neither garage or BMW would help with cost of replacement tyres

I now have 2 illegal front tyres and am faced with a bill of 300+

I am seriously hacked off about this ...................any advice folks ??
This is not as simple as people are making out.

The lifespan of the tyres will vary greatly dependant on driving style and the type of journeys you make.

I generally do 25-30K miles a year - mainly on motorways. In the past I have easily got 30K plus from rear tyres and even more from the fronts.

That isn't to say that I don't drive enthusiastically, it's just that most of the miles I do are on the motorway, where the tyres wear very little.

There have been problems with uneven and excessive tyre wear in respect of runflat tyres. There has even been an 'arrangement' in the USA where Dunlop accepted limited liability, but only AFTER a customer complained.

This is the BMW bulletin:

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B360205g.htm

Unfortunately, there have been no such arrangements in the UK.

Personally I think 15K miles is VERY low for front tyres. If you do maybe 10K miles a year - largely on b roads, this could be down to driving style, but I can do 15K miles in 6 months - with very little tyre wear.

I think you have reason to expect BMW to sort out your problem, but I doubt that they will help.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 04:40 AM   #8
ChrisMWard
Captain
United Kingdom
9
Rep
686
Posts

 
Drives: E93 320d M Sport, E81 116d SE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Epsom UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 120d SE  [0.00]
2007 335d A M Sport  [0.00]
1998 M3 Evo  [0.00]
2002 330d Sport  [0.00]
2004 330d Sport  [0.00]
The worst car I had for tyre wear was a Ford Scorpio estate. Several of us ran these as company cars and we all needed new rears by 12000 miles. We were all doing mostly motorway work as well. Fronts would last a bit longer, maybe up to 18K. Our last two 330ds have both needed new rear tyres at around 20K.

Glad I bought the RFT insurance.

Regards

Chris
__________________
Previously: 2007 335D MSport E90 Le Mans Blue, 2004 330D A Sport Silver Grey, 2002 330D A Sport Saphire Black, 2001 320D SE Touring Titanium Silver, 1998 M3 Evo Techno Violet, 1996 328i Sport Montreal Blue, 1994 325i Coupe Red, 1989 325i Sport 2 door Dolphin Grey,1986 325i SE 4 door Lachs
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 06:30 AM   #9
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMWard View Post
The worst car I had for tyre wear was a Ford Scorpio estate. Several of us ran these as company cars and we all needed new rears by 12000 miles. We were all doing mostly motorway work as well. Fronts would last a bit longer, maybe up to 18K. Our last two 330ds have both needed new rear tyres at around 20K.

Glad I bought the RFT insurance.

Regards

Chris
Presumably the RFT insurance doesn't help in terms of wear though?

How much was it and where did you get it? My dealer said they didn't offer tyre insurance anymore.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 07:43 AM   #10
agh!
Private First Class
agh!'s Avatar
1
Rep
112
Posts

 
Drives: E91 320d SE
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hampshire UK

iTrader: (0)

Car and BMW Internet forums are these days littered with "my front RFT's only lasted less than 15K miles" posts.
RFT's, they just wear this way on the front, unless your really lucky. A contributing factor towards my decision not use them, at least until further developments improve their design which might make them acceptable to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #11
vivekk
THE Viv
vivekk's Avatar
England
68
Rep
4,740
Posts

 
Drives: 330i SE
Join Date: May 2005
Location: the North, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Presumably the RFT insurance doesn't help in terms of wear though?

How much was it and where did you get it? My dealer said they didn't offer tyre insurance anymore.
You're right NFS- tyre insurance doesn't cover wear at all- only "damage"- whether it be accidental or "malicious"!

So...if you knew your tyres were still "legal"- but were getting close to being "illegal", were covered under your current policy & they somehow managed to "acquire" irrepairable flats, then Gordon's your uncle, apparently! *


I took out tyre insurance with the RAC/Barclaycard for 50 last year- I posted about it somewhere on this forum.

Viv

* Please check the small print in your own tyre insurance policy carefully, as this statement may give you a completely false sense of security! Also, if you are not a niece or nephew of Mr Ramsay, then he will certainly not be your uncle.
__________________
[TiAg ▪ Dakota Black ▪ Active steering ▪ Sports suspension ▪ 162s ▪ Sports seats ▪ Al trim ▪ Bi-Xenons ▪ F&R PDC NavPro ▪ Voice control ▪ Bluetooth ▪ 6CD Logic7]


Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #12
- Paul -
Major General
- Paul -'s Avatar
England
179
Rep
7,274
Posts

 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
I like the thinking of Gordon on this one!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #13
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
So...if you knew your tyres were still "legal"- but were getting close to being "illegal", were covered under your current policy & they somehow managed to "acquire" irrepairable flats, then Gordon's your uncle, apparently!
I think they may suspect when they get the 10th claim regarding tyres slashed with sabatier paring knives

Seriously though - I bet the small print has a limit on the number of claims in any one year - otherwise everyone would just keep getting free tyres.

I wondered if anyone had insurance other than Barclaycard (since I don't have one)
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #14
ChrisMWard
Captain
United Kingdom
9
Rep
686
Posts

 
Drives: E93 320d M Sport, E81 116d SE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Epsom UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 120d SE  [0.00]
2007 335d A M Sport  [0.00]
1998 M3 Evo  [0.00]
2002 330d Sport  [0.00]
2004 330d Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Presumably the RFT insurance doesn't help in terms of wear though?

How much was it and where did you get it? My dealer said they didn't offer tyre insurance anymore.
Think it was 299 from the dealer for three years. Maximum of 5 tyres in that period, equals 60 per tyre. Two tyres would cost more than 299 so sounds good to me.

Regards

Chris
__________________
Previously: 2007 335D MSport E90 Le Mans Blue, 2004 330D A Sport Silver Grey, 2002 330D A Sport Saphire Black, 2001 320D SE Touring Titanium Silver, 1998 M3 Evo Techno Violet, 1996 328i Sport Montreal Blue, 1994 325i Coupe Red, 1989 325i Sport 2 door Dolphin Grey,1986 325i SE 4 door Lachs
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #15
vivekk
THE Viv
vivekk's Avatar
England
68
Rep
4,740
Posts

 
Drives: 330i SE
Join Date: May 2005
Location: the North, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
I think they may suspect when they get the 10th claim regarding tyres slashed with sabatier paring knives

Seriously though - I bet the small print has a limit on the number of claims in any one year - otherwise everyone would just keep getting free tyres.

I wondered if anyone had insurance other than Barclaycard (since I don't have one)
On my cover, 5 tyres are covered over the period & RFTs are certainly covered.

NFS- you probably can get the RAC tyre insurance without having Barclaycard- it'll probably just be a little more expensive, but still cheaper than anything the stealership will offer you, I suspect-

RAC warranty Customer Services: 08707 559 666

Viv
__________________
[TiAg ▪ Dakota Black ▪ Active steering ▪ Sports suspension ▪ 162s ▪ Sports seats ▪ Al trim ▪ Bi-Xenons ▪ F&R PDC NavPro ▪ Voice control ▪ Bluetooth ▪ 6CD Logic7]


Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST