E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Car rental?

12-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Brian135i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 09' 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Question Car rental?

What is the best car rental company? I will be coming to Oxnard, CA for about 2 weeks and I need to rent a car. Does anybody knows a good place to rent from?

Thanks!
      12-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

You're coming to the 'Nard? I might be able to arrange a home-cooked Mexican meal, if you've missed them while is Sicily.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
tony20009
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Among the major rental companies, I like National. Be sure to join the frequent renters club and you'll be able to just pick a car from what they have. Occasionally, they have a nice car. Usually they have typical cars. In contrast, for someone having no frequent renter status, Hertz and Avis offer crappy cars.

Obviously, with any of them, if you want to pay to get a very nice car, you can do that, but be sure the location you rent from actually has nice cars. Most commonly, it's the airport locations that have them.

If you want to rent a BMW, or Bentley, Porsche, or some other nice car, you'll need to find a local rental company that offers them. That said, Avis occasionally has Mercedes, but getting one isn't very likely, but you can try to specifically reserve one if that's what you want.

As someone who travels every week and who rents cars every week, I recommend just getting a basic car; there's not often much point in renting a fancy car just to drive in a town for a few days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Brian135i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
You're coming to the 'Nard? I might be able to arrange a home-cooked Mexican meal, if you've missed them while is Sicily.
Lol...Oxnard! Yes I will be there for new years. I really miss some real Mexican food. My gf can cook for me, when I get back. Thank you!
      12-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Brian135i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Among the major rental companies, I like National. Be sure to join the frequent renters club and you'll be able to just pick a car from what they have. Occasionally, they have a nice car. Usually they have typical cars. In contrast, for someone having no frequent renter status, Hertz and Avis offer crappy cars.

Obviously, with any of them, if you want to pay to get a very nice car, you can do that, but be sure the location you rent from actually has nice cars. Most commonly, it's the airport locations that have them.

If you want to rent a BMW, or Bentley, Porsche, or some other nice car, you'll need to find a local rental company that offers them. That said, Avis occasionally has Mercedes, but getting one isn't very likely, but you can try to specifically reserve one if that's what you want.

As someone who travels every week and who rents cars every week, I recommend just getting a basic car; there's not often much point in renting a fancy car just to drive in a town for a few days.
Ok, thanks! I will look around and check out National. Btw I'm looking for something a little higher then basic. Like a Mazda 6.
      12-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
tony20009
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian135i View Post
Ok, thanks! I will look around and check out National. Btw I'm looking for something a little higher then basic. Like a Mazda 6.
I don't recall seeing a Mazda 6. The most likely thing will be a Malibu, Camry, Ford Fusion, maybe an SUV or pickup truck or a Sonata. They aren't great, but they aren't horrid either.

The major rental car companies generally buy cars with a orientation toward just basic transportation, so don't expect too much.

Have a nice trip.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0